Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Drain with software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I've had 3 software updates recently on my 2015 model S. I have a power monitor for my wall charger so I can check the power consumption.

When it updated to 2020.16.1 I noticed the phantom drain went up to about 3 to 4kw per day. My charges are scheduled at 12:00am I noticed the power graph Surat charging at midnight.... then it stops and then adhesion around 4am for a short period of time

It then updated to another version which I don't recall about 2 weeks later and the issue went away. It then updated to 2020.20.1 and now I'm back with the same problem. My car used to top up charge every 3 or so days but now back to charging every night when not in use.

It does sleep as sometimes i need to wait for it to wake up but I think its staying awake for too long. I turned off teslafi in case it's logging and keeping it awake with no difference.

Anyone else monitoring thier power consumption?

Thanks,

See below the typical power graph when the car isnt in use. The car is left plugged into the HPWC during this time, and in the past only used to charge every 3 or so days for a top up.

Now this is happening every night, and note the spike in consumption alo between approx 3 and 4am peaking to 11kw+

Tesla 2020-07-01 104952.jpg

Thanks,

See below the typical power graph when the car isnt in use. The car is left plugged into the HPWC during this time, and in the past only used to charge every 3 or so days for a top up.

Now this is happening every night, and note the spike in consumption alo between approx 3 and 4am peaking to 11kw+

View attachment 558831
Yep I see the same sort of thing. I now lose about 10km range a day when unused. It used to take a few days to lose 5km and trigger a charge cycle overnight. Not great.

Hey All,

Sorry for the typos in the first post. Autocorrect kept changing words on me.

The power graph above was generated with the efergy engage power monitor system, inexpensive system to buy and diy install, used it to monitor my house and had a spare and put it on the hpwc so i can generate my own consumption data just on the tesla.

Only other change now being winter is the colder nights. although in a garage im unsure if the tesla auto heats up the batteries and at what temperatures. My car has currently been parked down the road elsewhere with no charge since last monday. ill get it back this friday or next monday and see what the charge level is when it returns.

At this power consumtion of 3Kw a day. my p85 at 80% would be flat in 22 days!

I have had my car parked down the road in a shed in the morning of the 29/6 I picked it up this afternoon 13/7 as it can now return to my garage. So its been about 14 1/2 days where the car was inched from one side of the shed to the other once during that time only.

delivered with 84% and picked up with 63% battery. it had lost 21% in 2 weeks. Cabin overheat protection is off (its cold anyway and was parked indoors) thic car is AP1 so no sentry mode etc. Is this sounding normal?

its not as much as i seems to be losing when parked at home and wonder i its battery heaters or something else taking the 4am power as the graph above?

About a year ago I ran into a problem that the car would quit going to sleep after an update after charging in the garage. It would stay on every time I charged the car until I found a trick to get it to reset. It still does it after every update. Initially the instrument screen wouldn't shut off when it happens, but now that shuts off. When it happens now the light on the charging port stays on.

When it won't go to sleep, I unplug the car overnight and it resets. I tried unplugging for a couple of hours and it didn't work, it seems to need to be overnight.

I talked to service and it appears there is something going on with the charging circuit allowing the car to sleep that gets messed up when there is an update. They couldn't find the problem, but my workaround works. Whenever the car updates, I go out there, reboot both screens and unplug the car for the night. Vampire drain goes from about 3 miles of range a day to about 2 miles every three days if I'm not driving much.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
On Monday when I brought the car home it decided to do another software update when it saw my wifi. It still says 2020.20.17 which is the same as my post above 2 weeks ago. I have not driven or charged the car since and now its only fallen 2% in 4 days which is great. Wait till I put it on the charger next week.