TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Phantom drain...

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by kirkbauer, Jul 30, 2015.

1. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

My car has lost 9 miles of rated range in 40 hours, normal?

I do have a dash cam with parking mode but that doesn't seem it would have much impact.

2. Matias

Matias Active Member

There are many threads about this subject. Please look for "vampire drain".

You lost approximately 1.7 kWh/24hrs, it is normal.

3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I usually lose about 3 miles a day, as long as I have the car sleep, 'stay connected' is off, and I don't check on the car with the smartphone app. Otherwise, usage will go up a bit. It can also vary a bit based on ambient temperature or the cycling of your pack on to top off the 12V auxiliary battery.

So you're in the ballpark, but probably a little higher than typical loss--perhaps due to one of my listed reasons.

4. caddieo

caddieo Member

While I was away for 5 weeks, my iPhone app kept getting regular notifications every 3 days reporting on a charge of 9-10 miles back to the original charge end point. That works out to about 3-4 miles vampire loss a day and apparently within normal limits. The loss from the dashcam would be in addition to the normal vampire loss from the car's basic electronics.