Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom forward collision warnings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if others have experienced "phantom" forward collision warnings? I have personally had this go off a couple times on a particular 90 degree curve in the road. I'm guessing the banking on the curvature can cause the car to see the edge of the road. I haven't been able to make out yet what the alert blip was complaining about.

My wife has seen several of these happen over the past few days, but also doesn't know why it was going off. This morning, all 4 tires needed about 10 pounds of air added due to the cold night. That got me wondering - is it possible that (kind of like the road banking) low air tires with the colder weather this week could shift the tilt of sensors/cameras somewhat to also trigger this? Would recalibrating cameras now with topped off tires help that?

This of course is extra maddening with the new safety score system... I'd like to have a chance to keep the scores up with something I have the ability to control!

There's are some recent threads about this in the root/main Y forum if you care to wade in. Sure sounds like some people are having issues with AP/FSD but it's hard to understand without data (not minimizing your experiences by any means) what % of vehicles , and under what conditions, it affects.

None of the forward collision / auto braking / lane control systems in any vehicle are foolproof, but a lot of what people are posting here is pretty concerning IMO. (Don't have mine yet so have nothing to add from a Tesla owner perspective. )

I'm curious if others have experienced "phantom" forward collision warnings? I have personally had this go off a couple times on a particular 90 degree curve in the road. I'm guessing the banking on the curvature can cause the car to see the edge of the road. I haven't been able to make out yet what the alert blip was complaining about.

My wife has seen several of these happen over the past few days, but also doesn't know why it was going off. This morning, all 4 tires needed about 10 pounds of air added due to the cold night. That got me wondering - is it possible that (kind of like the road banking) low air tires with the colder weather this week could shift the tilt of sensors/cameras somewhat to also trigger this? Would recalibrating cameras now with topped off tires help that?

This of course is extra maddening with the new safety score system... I'd like to have a chance to keep the scores up with something I have the ability to control!
I received over 100 reported collision warnings on my tesla app in a single day (mid october 2021). In my case there were no screen warnings; I traveled only about 5 miles that day never exceeding 35 mph. A couple of reported warnings the next day and none for two weeks before or after. I reported it to tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
I received over 100 reported collision warnings on my tesla app in a single day (mid october 2021). In my case there were no screen warnings; I traveled only about 5 miles that day never exceeding 35 mph. A couple of reported warnings the next day and none for two weeks before or after. I reported it to tesla.

Just curious, how did you report?

From my own further investigation, it does seem like the camera calibration may make a difference. After the low tire pressure situation, I recalibrated the cameras and have had good performance for a couple weeks. Then I swapped wheels/tires to a winter tire set, and the very same day got another strange one. I saw the whole thing happen - a car about 100 feet ahead was flagged (blinking red) for turning off a road into a strip mall. Given the distance and the fact that I was already slowing down gradually (was maybe doing 30mph at the time), I have no idea why this would even be beyond a glancing thought to a human driver, but the Tesla apparently freaked out about something. My thought was that perhaps it has to do with the new tire set and calibrations again (maybe the tire height/camera angles make it appear closer?) Following that incident, I recalibrated again with the winter tire set and it has been behaving again over the past week.

There's are some recent threads about this in the root/main Y forum if you care to wade in. Sure sounds like some people are having issues with AP/FSD but it's hard to understand without data (not minimizing your experiences by any means) what % of vehicles , and under what conditions, it affects.

None of the forward collision / auto braking / lane control systems in any vehicle are foolproof, but a lot of what people are posting here is pretty concerning IMO. (Don't have mine yet so have nothing to add from a Tesla owner perspective. )

To be fair and accurate, there's more than one issue at play. TACC (traffic aware cruise control) often has phantom braking events where it slows down anywhere from 5 MPH to 20 MPH at varying rates for no clear reason. Those are quite distinct from the AEB (automatic emergency braking) system that is basically saying "you're going to crash!!!!" blares an alarm and brakes hard.

It sounds like the OP is complaining about the latter.

To the OP, virtually all AEB systems will have false alarms. Part of it is unavoidable, or at least very difficult to avoid, since they have to balance making the system sensitive enough to react and not miss something but try to make it specific enough not to have false alarms. For any system, increasing one, decrease the other. The exact proportion, however, depends and defines how good the system is. Tesla's seems to be much more prone to false alarms than others. It's not clear to me if this is simply because it's worse or if it's because they've deliberately set it more sensitive to reduce the likelihood of accidents with AP/FSD.

The situation you describe is one that is intrinsically more difficult. Even for humans, coming around a curve and estimating where the car will be can be somewhat difficult. If it's always in the same spot it's likely that there are some physical characteristics of the location that are confusing the computer. I used to have an Audi A4 with forward collision warning and there was one spot that it would routinely get confused. (on a curve in the road, no less.) I ended up decreasing the sensitivity to avoid it but all I could figure was that the combination of the curve in the road and a sign or a tree made it think there was a car there.