Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom...gain?

Creighton

Jun 13, 2019
Richmond, Virginia
If you've seen my other post, you'll know that I am an efficient driver. I want to qualify this post with this information, as it may indicate why I am observing "phantom gain" (i.e. rated vs actual miles or computer delay in calculation of rated range at the end of trip vs during/before trip). I am also a 30-70% driver religiously, and I've only been to a supercharger 4 times in the past 14 months, for a total of less than 500 miles gained.

Tips on how I averaged~190 wh/mi for 17,000 miles (so far...)

I want to come to the community again for a little clarification for a phenomenon I have noticed since the beginning of my LR M3 ownership--Phantom gain.

My commute to work is 23.2 miles in one direction. Every morning I drive these 23.2 miles with an average 160-175wh/mi energy consumption rate. This morning, I charged to exactly 200 miles of rated range. After driving the 23.2 miles, I was left with a rated range of 185 miles. Obviously there was a reduction in the amount of miles consumed that was immediately evident. I stopped to get my morning coffee, which took about 15 minutes. I returned to my car, jumped into the driver's seat, and saw that my rated range now read 192 rated miles.

This morning was by far the most drastic example that I've noticed over the last 13 months of my M3 ownership, and I'm tired of scratching my head over this and was hoping that we could compare theories or speak to people who have direct knowledge of why this occurring. This happens consistently and on a weekly basis, anywhere between 3-5 miles gained normally, and it occurs around 60-70% of the time I leave and return to my vehicle.

P.S. 5% battery degradation at 25,000 miles? Have I just conditioned and calibrated the computer to low-end my maximum battery range by consistently charging to only 70%? Is my 5% actual degradation or skewed rated range calculating algorithms?

Attachments

• battery_degredation.jpeg
    battery_degredation.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 9
  • driving_efficiency.jpeg
    driving_efficiency.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 7
  • MPGE_efficiency.jpeg
    MPGE_efficiency.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Phantom_drain.jpeg
    Phantom_drain.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 9

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
Every morning I drive these 23.2 miles with an average 160-175wh/mi energy consumption rate.

This morning was by far the most drastic example that I've noticed over the last 13 months of my M3 ownership, and I'm tired of scratching my head over this and was hoping that we could compare theories or speak to people who have direct knowledge of why this occurring. This happens consistently and on a weekly basis, anywhere between 3-5 miles gained normally, and it occurs around 60-70% of the time I leave and return to my vehicle.

You should compare notes with @insaneoctane . I suspect that with your super excellent efficiency, the electrons are coming by the counting station so infrequently that the electron counter is getting bored and losing track. Then his boss comes by later and starts cracking the whip while you’re parked. ;)

It would be interesting for you to calculate your Wh/rmi constant for your drive to see how far off it is from the theoretical 223Wh/rmi. Just record battery rated miles before and after, Wh/mi, and distance traveled. Then do the calculation.

Another thing to note is that regen miles are not added back in to the display immediately. So if for some reason you finish with a moderate downhill, there could be some delay on those miles showing up. They tend to get added in increments of about 4 rated miles at a time.

If you have a GoPro, you could time lapse capture the drive, just to see how things are ticking off, and see whether you notice anything unusual.

insaneoctane

Apr 6, 2016
Southern California
I see this too. I notice the following related behaviors:
  • Charging stops at 80% and 256 miles of range, but an hour or two later my range can creep up to 270 miles just sitting in my garage
  • When I arrive home from my commute from work my car pulls in with 120 miles but can rise up to 130 within an hour
  • Opposite of your gain.... Arriving at work with 200 miles of range, my range drops to 186 within an hour
That last range loss phenomenon is happening almost every day for me now. The others are not as frequent, or at least the morning post charge growth isn't nearly as common.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
Just wanted to add this Gain.... yesterday I charged at 20 Amps to 90% and ended up with a whooping 219 miles. I normally charge at 32 Amps and my norm is 215-216 miles @ 90% with the Standard Range Plus. Will give it another try today to see if the 219 holds up. Note that dropping the rate down to 20amps from 32amps gave me an extra hour of charge time.

Charging to 90%

2 hours 15 min at 32 Amps
2 hours 20 min at 28 Amps
3 hours 20 min at 20 Amps

Fred

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC