TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Phantom opening doors

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ohmman, Aug 5, 2016.

1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I've had a couple of instances where I've gone out to the garage in the morning and doors have been open. Once with a falcon wing door, and twice with the driver's door. I thought there was a thread on this, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps it's buried in one of the PUP feature threads.

I blamed myself the first two times, but last night I was in the garage after my shower, after everyone was away from fobs, and then I came in and locked the door. When we woke this morning, the X driver's side door was open.

Anyone else seen this behavior? Do you think my X is partying at night, opening and closing doors and dancing to Slacker tunes? Should I leave the station on NPR to make sure my X stays asleep?

• Funny x 5
  2. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Oops..sorry..did i leave the door open ?:eek::p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

3. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

As far as I know, double-clicking the fob is the only way to open the driver's side door (you can't do that via the phone app). Unless you have a very resourceful racoon in your garage that is able to press the handle button. If that's the case, make sure you single-click the fob to lock everything down before going to bed.

If no one is playing with the fobs, then the only other logical explanation is that the fobs are sending errant signals to your car. Try keeping the fobs as far away from the X as possible and/or get an RFID blocking bag to see if that solves the issue. If so, then I would get Tesla to inspect your fobs.

Also, get Tesla to check their logs to see why the driver's door opened. Hopefully, they can determine the time and which fob sent the signal. If you know the exact time, it might help you figure out what is happening.

Are there any other Tesla owners in your neighborhood? I would hate to think that someone else's fob is able to open your doors, but there is always that possibility. In that case, your S fob might be the culprit too.

Finally, I would put a distinguishing mark on each of the fobs, so that you can try to determine which fob is responsible.

• Helpful x 1
  4. HookBill

HookBill Member

I think you are experiencing a case of the Farmers Insurance 'Deers By The Pool Stag Party' where they party in the dark but when the lights come on, they freeze in the light.

• Funny x 1
  5. TacC

TacC Member

I had a similar issue on Wed. The driver door opened while we were walking away. I closed it with the fob and we went into a restaurant for dinner.

After three minutes of trying to lock the car from the app, I went outside and found the driver door wide open.

6. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Okay, this maybe sounds more like a software bug than a fob issue.

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Have you had the front door latches replaced yet? The original design had issues besides not latching (I should know). SC replaced mine yesterday.

8. commasign

commasign Active Member

Have you brought your X in for service since mid-June? If not, be aware there is actually a service bulletin and firmware update for the X key fobs. May or may not be related but worth ruling it out as a possibility if you haven't had the update.

image.jpeg

• Informative x 2
  9. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

My X finally gets its SC visit in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I've put a security camera in the garage and have given it a thorough warning.

• Funny x 1
  10. commasign

commasign Active Member

Lol, maybe you might catch a ghost on camera. ;)