Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom slow spot on 65mph highway?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there is an area, perhaps 20 -50 feet long where my car thinks the 65mph speed limit is 40mph. it slows down quite suddenly. The spot is on my way home from work so it happens every day.

Is there anything I can do to fix the mapping data that is inaccurate with Tesla? or is it not Tesla that provides the data? if so, how can I fix it with them?

I've seen the upper/lower road issue as well going through SF on the elevated parts of the highway. It seems to happen only on those parts where there is a lower road that follows the freeway. Cross streets going under don't seem to trigger the issue.

I've seen reported that some on ramps are causing this, so see if that's the type of area doing this and just be careful being at those, seems to be a bug from recent update. not sure if it was fixed in .7
.7 seems to have fixed this for me. Was happening with every release last 2 months. So far it’s been 2 weeks on .7 and no issues so far on my daily drive on same highway.

You can hit the voice command button and state “report a problem” and what’s happening. The stats of the car are supposed to be sent along with your message as I recall.
Nothing will be sent. What you report can only be seen if you take your car in service and a tech can try to see what the car was doing when you reported / it collects all your bugs so the tech can diagnose

the area where it happens is right next to an exit and is above another road. there is no way to report this to some(one) so they can address is for the next map update?

where does the data come from that tells our cars speed limits and other information?
Unfortunately this is a gps bug thinking you are taking the off ramp and changing to fleet average speed of said off ramp. The only fix is through software and I haven’t experienced anything since being on .7 for the last two weeks. Prior releases all gave me issues every off ramp on my 15 mile drive each way.

Last edited:
On my daily commute, there is a stretch on Hwy 288 in Houston where this happens. 3 times over ~1/2 mile.

Only way to safely deal with it is turn AP off.

They could probably run an algorithm to locate these types of issues with speed limits and fix them easily.

there is an area, perhaps 20 -50 feet long where my car thinks the 65mph speed limit is 40mph. it slows down quite suddenly. The spot is on my way home from work so it happens every day.

Is there anything I can do to fix the mapping data that is inaccurate with Tesla? or is it not Tesla that provides the data? if so, how can I fix it with them?
Except in my case there are no on or off ramps nearby.
Lots of people chiming in with guesses. Unfortunately, I don't have definitive answers, either. This is almost certainly a GPS data problem, and if Tesla would tell who they use for this data, you could report the issue to the source to get it corrected (this worked great back in the days of DVD navigation where the source was on the disc), but of course, they don't. I can tell you that this has been resolved for me in a location where it happened for a pretty long stretch a couple years ago, but I did report it to my service center with lots of data, and they had more time for me back then. I would recommend reporting this to Tesla through the web site contact form if it is available, including as much detail as possible regarding location and behavior (does it show 40 MPH on the dash or lose the speed limit and drop to 45 as if you're on a surface road with no speed limit, exactly where does it happen geographically, anything else you can think of that might be helpful, what are a few recent date and time examples of exactly when it happened). That will most likely be forwarded to your service center (this is so stupid, but what can you do?), and if you're lucky they'll attempt to remotely diagnose the issue and thin pass it up the chain once they confirm it is a GPS data issue. Then it may actually be fixed in the 2-24 months.

To clarify on my post above since I was pulled away and the edit timer expired, I mean the service center will pass it (back) up the chain, where the website form should have sent it to begin with since there is nothing wrong with your vehicle. I also meant the next 6-24 months (I'd be very surprised to see a fix in the next batch of maps unless they were already working on it, so the 6-24 months is based on the suggestion by someone else that they update maps every 6 months, which I'm not sure to be a fact anyway).

Nothing will be sent. What you report can only be seen if you take your car in service and a tech can try to see what the car was doing when you reported / it collects all your bugs so the tech can diagnose

Are you sure? Under “Contacting Tesla” in the owners manual it says the following.

“Note: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" (in the English language) followed by brief comments in your language of choice. Model X takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen and instrument panel. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model X.”

Unfortunately this is a gps bug thinking you are taking the off ramp and changing to fleet average speed of said off ramp. The only fix is through OTA and I haven’t experienced anything since being in .7 for the last two weeks. Prior releases all have me issues on every exit off ramp on my 15 mile drive each way.
Are you sure? Under “Contacting Tesla” in the owners manual it says the following.

“Note: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" (in the English language) followed by brief comments in your language of choice. Model X takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen and instrument panel. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model X.”
I thought the same thing and used it religiously when I first bought my Tesla. Unfortunately my bubble was burst in other threads when a handful of other users broke the news to me.

Reactions: Hodginator