Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom SMS Messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, and what is your phone model? I would bet it's a newer android such as the newest Samsungs or Pixels. I've said it before and I'm saying it again. This started when google started migrating SMSs to the Google Chat platform. If you have your phone backed up by Google, that will happen.
15 month old Moto Edge phone. Please provide a link to what you are referring to. I don't see anything online about regular SMS messages being migrated to "Google Chat". I see hangout messages are, but that is not what we are talking about here.

You will also see if you research this forum many users who are not using the native google app and are still having the issue. This appears to be an issue with Tesla's inability to handle the standard SMS protocol.

15 month old Moto Edge phone. Please provide a link to what you are referring to. I don't see anything online about regular SMS messages being migrated to "Google Chat". I see hangout messages are, but that is not what we are talking about here.

You will also see if you research this forum many users who are not using the native google app and are still having the issue. This appears to be an issue with Tesla's inability to handle the standard SMS protocol.
I don't want to convince you / prove my point. I'm telling you that Tesla has nothing to do with it. It's Android phones sending Broadcast Intents for Messages that are - naturally - captured by Tesla, as they should. If you don't want to believe me, fine, open a ticket with Tesla and tell us what they say. SMS storage on Android phones has very little to do with which app you use. They all read/write into the same place. As long as you have Google services running + cloud backup, you'll run into this issue.

If you want to see the announcement, download Google Chat and sign in. They'll inform you about it there.

I don't want to convince you / prove my point. I'm telling you that Tesla has nothing to do with it. It's Android phones sending Broadcast Intents for Messages that are - naturally - captured by Tesla, as they should. If you don't want to believe me, fine, open a ticket with Tesla and tell us what they say. SMS storage on Android phones has very little to do with which app you use. They all read/write into the same place. As long as you have Google services running + cloud backup, you'll run into this issue.

If you want to see the announcement, download Google Chat and sign in. They'll inform you about it there.
Have opened a ticket with Tesla, they simply said it would be fixed in a future update, they did not reference this being a problem on Google's end.

I think posting in these forums is not about "trying to convince people" but about being helpful to your Tesla neighbors. It's not like I said, "hey I don't wanna do the work, spoon-feed me the info." I did look, and research, and cannot find any reference to what you are saying so I asked for a link so I could further research the issue. Presumably you got this information from somewhere right? So why would you not want to be helpful and provide a link to the information?

I checked out the google chat app as you advised, and as I thought it has to do with hangout chat migrations, has nothing to do with SMS.

Have opened a ticket with Tesla, they simply said it would be fixed in a future update, they did not reference this being a problem on Google's end.

I think posting in these forums is not about "trying to convince people" but about being helpful to your Tesla neighbors. It's not like I said, "hey I don't wanna do the work, spoon-feed me the info." I did look, and research, and cannot find any reference to what you are saying so I asked for a link so I could further research the issue. Presumably you got this information from somewhere right? So why would you not want to be helpful and provide a link to the information?

I checked out the google chat app as you advised, and as I thought it has to do with hangout chat migrations, has nothing to do with SMS.

Ha!! Standard answer for all problems!!

SMS is just a message protocol. Which is handled by hangouts. So the migration message applies.
And like @Lloyd said. You've been 2-week'd by Tesla Support lol

I still think this is something Tesla should be able to fix, but in case it is indeed an Android problem and they can do something on their end, i created a ticket. Anyone here having the issue I encourage you to star and or comment on the issue. The more attention it gets, the faster it will be looked at by Google.

Now that seems to be the right tree to bark up. I am joining forces. Thanks for starting the bug report!

I have to agree this is an Android problem, I have had it happen in my Teslas but it also happened in my old cars which were not Teslas Unless you are using Android Auto, old messages get sent to the car as a new message all the time. So if it's happening in other cars it's an Android problem, not something Tesla can fix.

I think @helvio might have a point. Its true that I'm using a Pixel 3XL (pretty old, actually) and I'm also not using Google SMS, I'm using Pulse SMS instead. However, I can imagine the protocol being fairly simple between the car and the phone, with the car just asking for any new messages and the phone providing what they have. 🤔

This certainly feels like it might be an Android problem instead of a Tesla problem, it just that I don't have any other devices that are consuming SMS messages from my phone to compare with. I'll jump on board with the Android ticket and see if we can get some attention brought to it from Google's side. Though I'm pretty sure Google will respond with the same "we'll look into it" message that Tesla does. :rolleyes:

Reactions: helvio
Though I'm pretty sure Google will respond with the same "we'll look into it" message that Tesla does. :rolleyes:
This has potential to be high priority. Any disturbances while driving are bad news. It shouldn't be extremely hard to fix, but they need more visibility. I don't think Tesla has a way to fix this, because the phone actually broadcasts it to the car. It's a push and the car doesn't know any better nor can it.

Reactions: RNHurt
This has potential to be high priority. Any disturbances while driving are bad news. It shouldn't be extremely hard to fix, but they need more visibility. I don't think Tesla has a way to fix this, because the phone actually broadcasts it to the car. It's a push and the car doesn't know any better nor can it.
I wonder if Tesla has any pull with the Android team on this. 🤔 It would be nice to light a fire under Android to see if we can get this fixed in a timely manner.

Pixel 5 with os 12 beta -haven't had it. Fingers crossed. Just fell into a solution for Gmail, Metrolink, Chase Bank and several other apps but I've been spared the phantoms
Glad to see this on the forum. I have a Pixel 5 running Android 13, took delivery of my M3P 1 year and 2 days ago. I have this happen to me ever time a text comes through, every day. I travel about 100+ miles a day in my Tesla and this is a PAIN. I got a text pop-up on my Tesla yesterday that was read from 12/2019. Time and date has no pattern to the time it comes in. This started happening about 2 months ago. Very strange and Annoying! I carry both iPhone and Pixel with the Pixel being my primary. TESLA, PLEASE FIX!!!

Reactions: RNHurt and helvio
Glad to see this on the forum. I have a Pixel 5 running Android 13, took delivery of my M3P 1 year and 2 days ago. I have this happen to me ever time a text comes through, every day. I travel about 100+ miles a day in my Tesla and this is a PAIN. I got a text pop-up on my Tesla yesterday that was read from 12/2019. Time and date has no pattern to the time it comes in. This started happening about 2 months ago. Very strange and Annoying! I carry both iPhone and Pixel with the Pixel being my primary. TESLA, PLEASE FIX!!!
It's not Tesla. Google is actively working on it, somebody posted a bug report and it was acknowledged.

It's not Tesla. Google is actively working on it, somebody posted a bug report and it was acknowledged.
The fact that google is working on it doesn't mean Tesla shouldn't work on it. Thankfully it looks like they are now.

Tesla is the only car manufacturer that I know of having this issue which means its probably not entirely on google's side. Tesla is doing something wrong as well and needs to fix this.

One of my friends has the same issue in her Corolla.
And my dad has never had this issue in his Mercedes. So clearly Mercedes can figure it out, which means Tesla should be able to.

Unless you think its acceptable that a $ 130,000 car should be having the same bugs as your friends corrolla?

There is always MORE that can be done when it comes to programming. If it is a bug on Google's side, Tesla can work around the issue if they are smart enough and put the effort in. Clearly Mercedes and others have figured it out.

For instance...as an over simplified example, they could put an if statement in that says to check the date stamp on the text, and if it is from over a year ago. dont display it and instead do xyz.

My point is, you keep bringing up that this is Google's fault and Tesla can't do anything about it. This is not true. Tesla CAN do something about it. Programmers have been working around library bugs and other programming tie-ins for decades.

You seem hell bent on defending Tesla and insisting that they have done everything they can and they should not work on this. I'm not sure exactly what purpose that is serving....

And my dad has never had this issue in his Mercedes. So clearly Mercedes can figure it out, which means Tesla should be able to.

Unless you think its acceptable that a $ 130,000 car should be having the same bugs as your friends corrolla?

There is always MORE that can be done when it comes to programming. If it is a bug on Google's side, Tesla can work around the issue if they are smart enough and put the effort in. Clearly Mercedes and others have figured it out.

For instance...as an over simplified example, they could put an if statement in that says to check the date stamp on the text, and if it is from over a year ago. dont display it and instead do xyz.

My point is, you keep bringing up that this is Google's fault and Tesla can't do anything about it. This is not true. Tesla CAN do something about it. Programmers have been working around library bugs and other programming tie-ins for decades.

You seem hell bent on defending Tesla and insisting that they have done everything they can and they should not work on this. I'm not sure exactly what purpose that is serving....
I love when people bring prices as to strengthen an argument. Teslas range from 35K to 250K. Mercedes, I don't really know but I'd bet they have cars cheaper than 35K and also more expensive than 250K. Corollas happily fit in the middle. Your point being?

Not sure you read above, but Google started migrating SMS messages and Hangouts messages to Google Chat. This is when hell broke loose. Whenever they're finished migrating the however many billions of messages they have, this theoretically should stop. If I were Tesla, I'd push them to fix it rather than fixing it myself. Google is clearly the one not following Bluetooth standards. Can Tesla fix it? Sure. Can you demand them to, because your car was expensive? That's really not a good argument.

I love when people bring prices as to strengthen an argument. Teslas range from 35K to 250K. Mercedes, I don't really know but I'd bet they have cars cheaper than 35K and also more expensive than 250K. Corollas happily fit in the middle. Your point being?

Not sure you read above, but Google started migrating SMS messages and Hangouts messages to Google Chat. This is when hell broke loose. Whenever they're finished migrating the however many billions of messages they have, this theoretically should stop. If I were Tesla, I'd push them to fix it rather than fixing it myself. Google is clearly the one not following Bluetooth standards. Can Tesla fix it? Sure. Can you demand them to, because your car was expensive? That's really not a good argument.
Agree to disagree...with pretty much everything you said.

I stand by my assessment.

This is fixable on Tesla's side and they SHOULD fix it.

Agree to disagree...with pretty much everything you said.

I stand by my assessment.

This is fixable on Tesla's side and they SHOULD fix it.
Go to your Tesla app and open a service request for that. That's a better bet than here. If they fix it, great!

I have a feeling you won't do it though. But if you do, I'd like to know their answer, if you don't mind sharing.

Go to your Tesla app and open a service request for that. That's a better bet than here. If they fix it, great!

I have a feeling you won't do it though. But if you do, I'd like to know their answer, if you don't mind sharing.
I already did and pointed them to the forum listing the issue so they could see how widespread it was. According to them they have started looking in to it on your end.