Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom text messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have received a text on my Tesla screen from a contact that I have not recently texted or talked to. I had no indication on my phone (pixel 5) of such text and when asking the contact, they confirmed that they did not send anything .

The text message on Tesla feature is still somewhat buggy for me in general, many times I don't get text notifications at all but that is more easily explained as a connection issue. However, this phantom text is strange and more interesting if it originates from the car and not the phone. My guess it is that the phone is sending the notification somehow by mistake. The text is from a contact that I haven't texted to in many months and the message itself is seemingly not part of an old conversation we had or any recent conversation I had with someone else .

I thought it is worth asking to see if anyone else has had this issue.

I’ve not heard of that bug before. The biggest issue I have with the text message integration is that it and calendar sync have gotten out of sync or disabled a few times, and I’ve had to renewable those features.

as for your issue, I’d try the standard “did you try turning it off and on?” solution to IT issues, This would be rebooting the phone, resetting the car, double-press on the steering wheel buttons, disable and then enable text message syncing, unpair the phone from the car and then unpair the car from the phone and finally starting the Bluetooth pairing process over. Some combination of those rest procedures should help.

I've seen a few threads on this on here and reddit, if I'm not mistaken, it seems to be an Android thing that's been going on for a while.

I just got an S21 and it does the same thing 95% of the time, coming from a Pixel 2XL and experienced it with that as well. I've gotten used to it, but it's still pretty annoying.

I just picked up my MYP tonight and when my wife was texting me it sent me a message from 2019 that I don't even have in my messages any more (she does because she doesn't purge them). Also got a message from someone I wasn't texting that was at least older than July of last year but neither of us have it in our phones anymore.

Have a Galaxy S20 Ultra on Verizon. Weirdest thing... Several threads from up to a year ago but still happening to us.

I'm having the same issue - getting texts from two or three years ago. Also this bug appears to favor presenting particularly intimate and (ahem) explicit text messages from ex GFs, which I'm afraid could result in an unsafe condition if it occurs with current GF in the passenger seat. Are there any known ways to fix this?
I deleted all those in case that happens!

I personally don't have ANY of the messages in my phone. In fact, I haven't had some of the messages in my current phone ever! This is the only phone that's been connected to my Tesla. Some of the messages are from two years ago which was also two phones ago for me.

This happens to my wife in our S, but doesn't happen to me when I drive it. It doesn't happen to either of us in our 3. The S had the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade performed to fix an unrelated problem (that the upgrade didn't fix, but that's another story). We have the same model phone.

I have a M3 and get the same message from the same person at least 2x a week and today I received a new message from the same person. These TXT messages are not showing up on my Android Phone ( Galaxy Note 10+) I will NOT get an IPhone.. LOL

LOL - that happens to me fairly often on a new OP9pro android phone - but not often enough to duplicate the issue and turn in a service request. What it is about ex-GFs? The first phantom text I got while driving around was from an ex and it gave me quite a deer-in-headlights moment :) Time to get another phone out and experiment a bit I guess..

This happens ALL THE TIME in my Model 3 both with a Galaxy Note 9 and a Note 20 Ultra. More often than not it happens actually.

Some specific occurrences:
- it always happens when texting someone for the first time. Immediately after I send a text to a new number a new message received pops up (and sometimes two new messages). One message in particular pops up which is the first message ever received in the text message history on this particular phone. The second message is usually random.
- when texting to numbers I have texted to before random old messages will pop up
- when receiving a text it will sometimes display the actual message that was just sent to me but around 50% off the time its a random message from my history. Interestingly enough the message that was actually sent at that time is marked as 'read' on my phone

Reactions: RNHurt
Seeing this issue too, very frequently.

Most worrisome is since these messages are no longer on the phones, it means a) Google is storing your text messages you have deleted off your phone b) A third party app that you have authorized to connect through Bluetooth is able to casually retrieve them.

Also in most cases the SENDER and MESSAGE are completely mismatched. Nobody has reported this on this thread so far.. have you guys seen this?

Since the messages are so old and they are definitely not from the sender, I had several WTF moments where I thought I'm getting somebody's completely random text on my phone (which obviously doesn't make sense).

Seeing this issue too, very frequently.

Most worrisome is since these messages are no longer on the phones, it means a) Google is storing your text messages you have deleted off your phone b) A third party app that you have authorized to connect through Bluetooth is able to casually retrieve them.

Also in most cases the SENDER and MESSAGE are completely mismatched. Nobody has reported this on this thread so far.. have you guys seen this?

Since the messages are so old and they are definitely not from the sender, I had several WTF moments where I thought I'm getting somebody's completely random text on my phone (which obviously doesn't make sense).
Hm, since I can't seem to be able to edit: did not mean on the phone, meant on the Model 3 screen. Just like everyone else these messages are nowhere on the phone.

I dont think Tesla is going to fix this anytime soon. The best thing everyone here can do is click the link above and share the details on the android bug report. They are ACTIVELY working on the ticket input in but need users to give input. They are currently waiting for our responses

I have received a text on my Tesla screen from a contact that I have not recently texted or talked to. I had no indication on my phone (pixel 5) of such text and when asking the contact, they confirmed that they did not send anything .

The text message on Tesla feature is still somewhat buggy for me in general, many times I don't get text notifications at all but that is more easily explained as a connection issue. However, this phantom text is strange and more interesting if it originates from the car and not the phone. My guess it is that the phone is sending the notification somehow by mistake. The text is from a contact that I haven't texted to in many months and the message itself is seemingly not part of an old conversation we had or any recent conversation I had with someone else .

I thought it is worth asking to see if anyone else has had this issue.
I have a pixel 4xl with a SR+ M3. I am having the exact same issue.

I receive a text from my friend James, but I'll get the notification on the M3 that says I have a message from Melissa (or someone else that hasn't texted me in a while). The car will indeed read some seemingly random OLD message from that person. In addition, I won't even see the message from James in the list. Sometimes/usually I will see a message from James if he sends a second message.

I wonder if it has to do with the phone we're using or the sms app we use. I am using the google app "messages" for sms like most people on Android do...
Same exact issue and I have a pixel and I use the messages app. I'm in the service center right now and they said it has something to do with RCS but might be a glitch and need to keep waiting for firm software updates because other people are having this same issue of course