Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom text messages

Lagnois

Sep 28, 2020
Kitchener, Ontario
I have received a text on my Tesla screen from a contact that I have not recently texted or talked to. I had no indication on my phone (pixel 5) of such text and when asking the contact, they confirmed that they did not send anything .

The text message on Tesla feature is still somewhat buggy for me in general, many times I don't get text notifications at all but that is more easily explained as a connection issue. However, this phantom text is strange and more interesting if it originates from the car and not the phone. My guess it is that the phone is sending the notification somehow by mistake. The text is from a contact that I haven't texted to in many months and the message itself is seemingly not part of an old conversation we had or any recent conversation I had with someone else .

I thought it is worth asking to see if anyone else has had this issue.

swaltner

Oct 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
I’ve not heard of that bug before. The biggest issue I have with the text message integration is that it and calendar sync have gotten out of sync or disabled a few times, and I’ve had to renewable those features.

as for your issue, I’d try the standard “did you try turning it off and on?” solution to IT issues, This would be rebooting the phone, resetting the car, double-press on the steering wheel buttons, disable and then enable text message syncing, unpair the phone from the car and then unpair the car from the phone and finally starting the Bluetooth pairing process over. Some combination of those rest procedures should help.

bwbrs

Sep 9, 2020
NJ
I've seen a few threads on this on here and reddit, if I'm not mistaken, it seems to be an Android thing that's been going on for a while.

I just got an S21 and it does the same thing 95% of the time, coming from a Pixel 2XL and experienced it with that as well. I've gotten used to it, but it's still pretty annoying.

Mar 2, 2021
Michigan
I just picked up my MYP tonight and when my wife was texting me it sent me a message from 2019 that I don't even have in my messages any more (she does because she doesn't purge them). Also got a message from someone I wasn't texting that was at least older than July of last year but neither of us have it in our phones anymore.

Have a Galaxy S20 Ultra on Verizon. Weirdest thing... Several threads from up to a year ago but still happening to us.

EBMyCH4

Mar 22, 2021
Phoenix AZ
I'm having the same issue - getting texts from two or three years ago. Also this bug appears to favor presenting particularly intimate and (ahem) explicit text messages from ex GFs, which I'm afraid could result in an unsafe condition if it occurs with current GF in the passenger seat. Are there any known ways to fix this?

• Funny
Reactions: WolfHunter1043

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC