Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom text messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a pixel 4xl with a SR+ M3. I am having the exact same issue.

I receive a text from my friend James, but I'll get the notification on the M3 that says I have a message from Melissa (or someone else that hasn't texted me in a while). The car will indeed read some seemingly random OLD message from that person. In addition, I won't even see the message from James in the list. Sometimes/usually I will see a message from James if he sends a second message.

I wonder if it has to do with the phone we're using or the sms app we use. I am using the google app "messages" for sms like most people on Android do...
Same exact issue as everyone else here..... and I have a pixel 5 and I use the messages app. I'm in the service center right now and they said it has something to do with RCS but might be a glitch and need to keep waiting for firm software updates because other people are having this same issueand they say it has to do with this specific app in combo with RCS... whatever that is.

Reactions: RNHurt
I’ve not heard of that bug before. The biggest issue I have with the text message integration is that it and calendar sync have gotten out of sync or disabled a few times, and I’ve had to renewable those features.

as for your issue, I’d try the standard “did you try turning it off and on?” solution to IT issues, This would be rebooting the phone, resetting the car, double-press on the steering wheel buttons, disable and then enable text message syncing, unpair the phone from the car and then unpair the car from the phone and finally starting the Bluetooth pairing process over. Some combination of those rest procedures should help.
Did all that...

I receive a text from my friend James, but I'll get the notification on the M3 that says I have a message from Melissa (or someone else that hasn't texted me in a while). The car will indeed read some seemingly random OLD message from that person. In addition, I won't even see the message from James in the list. Sometimes/usually I will see a message from James if he sends a second message.

I wonder if it has to do with the phone we're using or the sms app we use. I am using the google app "messages" for sms like most people on

Tried. Same exact issue and I have a pixel and I use the messages app. I'm in the service center right now and they said it has something to do with RCS but might be a glitch and need to keep waiting for firm software updates because other people are having this same issue of course

I have received a text on my Tesla screen from a contact that I have not recently texted or talked to. I had no indication on my phone (pixel 5) of such text and when asking the contact, they confirmed that they did not send anything .

The text message on Tesla feature is still somewhat buggy for me in general, many times I don't get text notifications at all but that is more easily explained as a connection issue. However, this phantom text is strange and more interesting if it originates from the car and not the phone. My guess it is that the phone is sending the notification somehow by mistake. The text is from a contact that I haven't texted to in many months and the message itself is seemingly not part of an old conversation we had or any recent conversation I had with someone else .

I thought it is worth asking to see if anyone else has had this issue.

I wonder if it has to do with the phone we're using or the sms app we use. I am using the google app "messages" for sms like most people on Android do...
Same exact issue and I have a pixel and I use the messages app. I'm in the service center right now and they said it has something to do with RCS but might be a glitch and need to keep waiting for firm software updates because other people are having this same issue of course

This happens ALL THE TIME in my Model 3 both with a Galaxy Note 9 and a Note 20 Ultra. More often than not it happens actually.

Some specific occurrences:
- it always happens when texting someone for the first time. Immediately after I send a text to a new number a new message received pops up (and sometimes two new messages). One message in particular pops up which is the first message ever received in the text message history on this particular phone. The second message is usually random.
- when texting to numbers I have texted to before random old messages will pop up
- when receiving a text it will sometimes display the actual message that was just sent to me but around 50% off the time its a random message from my history. Interestingly enough the message that was actually sent at that time is marked as 'read' on my phone

This started happening to me also but with made up text messages from people in my contact list. I am very concerned that my car is being hacked. Does anyone else suspect a hacking issue?
Your car is not being hacked. This is an issue with Android phones; iPhone devices seem to be working properly.

We've reported this to the Android team and have opened a ticket to get it fixed. Please visit and star the issue and/or add your comment. Every response helps!

➡️ Android SMS Bug

Reactions: Pricedm and Ken43
I have received a text on my Tesla screen from a contact that I have not recently texted or talked to. I had no indication on my phone (pixel 5) of such text and when asking the contact, they confirmed that they did not send anything .

The text message on Tesla feature is still somewhat buggy for me in general, many times I don't get text notifications at all but that is more easily explained as a connection issue. However, this phantom text is strange and more interesting if it originates from the car and not the phone. My guess it is that the phone is sending the notification somehow by mistake. The text is from a contact that I haven't texted to in many months and the message itself is seemingly not part of an old conversation we had or any recent conversation I had with someone else .

I have the same issue on all of my pixels phones since this feature was released

I have the same issue on all of my pixels phones since this feature was released
Knock wood - I don't have this issue so I can't try this.

Can you turn off all the RCS features (aka Chat in settings) and see if the problem keeps happening. If it fixes the issue you may be able to turn some of them back on or alternatively you go back to basic SMS if it works.

Can you turn off all the RCS features (aka Chat in settings) and see if the problem keeps happening. If it fixes the issue you may be able to turn some of them back on or alternatively you go back to basic SMS if it works.
I'm pretty sure RCS features are not causing the problem. I'm using Pulse SMS for all of my TXT messaging needs and it does not support RCS at all. In fact, I wish it did but Google has not opened the system up to 3rd party systems (yet).

• Informative
Reactions: Timbo2

I have had the same thing happen to me occasionally. I have a pixel also. I wonder if it is an Android thing.

I have the same phantom text message incidents. using pixel 5 and google messages not very many but just a couple a month from the same contact.(ex-gf). the messages are only in my tesla m3. not on my phone. when I ask the contact they deny sending it. after a few current texts to same contact the problem stops for awhile. I hope this problem gets fixed soon!

I've recently had an incident testing back to a group text from my car. It only sent the response to the text originator and dropped everyone else from the conversation. Iphone 13 in this case.
This is a known feature and not considered a bug. Tesla SMS software is able to receive group messages but not send them. When you respond to a group message, it only sends your response to the person that sent the message not the entire group. This is the same between iPhone and Android systems.