Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom text messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2022 Model 3 RWD for two weeks now, and twice the car has alerted me to texts that were years old. Phone is Pixel 6. I've only had the phone about 3 weeks, but never seen this with the phone itself...only the car.

Oh, and today the car stopped automatically navigating to my next appointment. The phone installed a software update over the weekend, so probably a problem on the phone end.

I have had this happen many times in the past couple months, but never before that (took delivery of my 3 in June 2018). Often, when someone texts me while driving, I also get a random year's-old text as well. One was from a text string in 2017 - well before I even owned the car. These texts don't show up on my phone, just in the car,

Reactions: RNHurt
I have received a text on my Tesla screen from a contact that I have not recently texted or talked to. I had no indication on my phone (pixel 5) of such text and when asking the contact, they confirmed that they did not send anything .

The text message on Tesla feature is still somewhat buggy for me in general, many times I don't get text notifications at all but that is more easily explained as a connection issue. However, this phantom text is strange and more interesting if it originates from the car and not the phone. My guess it is that the phone is sending the notification somehow by mistake. The text is from a contact that I haven't texted to in many months and the message itself is seemingly not part of an old conversation we had or any recent conversation I had with someone else .

I thought it is worth asking to see if anyone else has had this issue.
Hi, I bought my model 3 2022 last week And i have been getting those text messages. What should I do?

Hey people! I deciphered the problem. There aren't phantom messages, they are old messages that for some reason are being sent to the car.
I discovered some of my mom text messages from February were just resent to me a few minutes ago.
It's a nasty bug an i wish Tesla would fix it.

It's starting to look like the only way Tesla will really address this is if somebody Elon pays attention to on twitter tells him how ridiculous it is that this issue still exists. And even then, if he replies that he'll get it fixed, the timeline will indefinitely be "2 weeks".

I have received a text on my Tesla screen from a contact that I have not recently texted or talked to. I had no indication on my phone (pixel 5) of such text and when asking the contact, they confirmed that they did not send anything .

The text message on Tesla feature is still somewhat buggy for me in general, many times I don't get text notifications at all but that is more easily explained as a connection issue. However, this phantom text is strange and more interesting if it originates from the car and not the phone. My guess it is that the phone is sending the notification somehow by mistake. The text is from a contact that I haven't texted to in many months and the message itself is seemingly not part of an old conversation we had or any recent conversation I had with someone else .

This happened to me today- I got text from wishing me "Merry Christmas" [with a Christmas tree emoticon] from an old contact. I replied to the person and they were confused as they had not texted me. The Tesla Message Screen plainly showed the "Merry Christmas" message, my reply, that persons reply to my reply, but on checking my Android phone there was no "Merry Christmas" message sent today. I scrolled back and found the Merry Christmas Message from that person [with the Christmas Tree emoticon] dated back to Dec 25 2018! This quite a major bug that could cause some quite embarrassing situations

I also have this issue often. Recently switched to a new S21 (from an S8) new phone seems to make it happen a lot more - found a way in my phone to say I read all messages - di not help. I will report to Android.

I am currently having this issue and It is very annoying to deal with.. There are text guy I'm receiving from a year ago from people I am not in contact with. I will receive the text and think they are talking to me in real time but of course it's a year ago and I have mistakenly and embarrassingly returned a number of texts. Particularly former girlfriends. I've called Tesla and they said there is going to be a fix coming to download but no one knows when or no timelines were given. This is a very bad and has caused me to turn off the text function on the car which is a waste because it is useful to be able to text by voice. Returning some texts without context from a year ago, some are emergencies by the way, has been very embarrassing.

iPhone user here...it happens to me as well.
Oh, interesting. I think this is the first report of it happening on iOS that I've seen. Can you give more details?
  • What version of iOS are you running?
  • What firmware version are you running in your car?
  • How often does it happen?
  • The Android version of the bug seems to pull messages from somewhere back in the sands of time. Does the iOS bug do that as well or are they more recent messages?
  • Have you tried to reset the Bluetooth connection?

Oh, interesting. I think this is the first report of it happening on iOS that I've seen. Can you give more details?
  • What version of iOS are you running?
  • What firmware version are you running in your car?
  • How often does it happen?
  • The Android version of the bug seems to pull messages from somewhere back in the sands of time. Does the iOS bug do that as well or are they more recent messages?
  • Have you tried to reset the Bluetooth connection?
I have an iPhone 13 Pro running IOS 15.2.1 but did it on earlier versions too and also on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. The car is running version 2021.44.30.7, but also did it on earlier releases too. Seems to grab a few fairly recent messages from that day, no real old stuff showing up. Almost as if they were queued up somewhere and suddenly show up. Weird. What I did notice is that when they show up, they show the phone number and not the contact name as normal. I haven't tried to reset the BT on this phone, but doubt it will prove much since it has happened across two different iPhones.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
The car is running version 2021.44.30.7, but also did it on earlier releases too. Seems to grab a few fairly recent messages from that day, no real old stuff showing up. Almost as if they were queued up somewhere and suddenly show up. Weird. What I did notice is that when they show up, they show the phone number and not the contact name as normal.
That's super interesting. So, you're not seeing old, maybe even invalid, messages. You might be right in thinking that it's being queued up somewhere. And the fact that the number is showing instead of the contact name is weird too. It does sound like a problem.

However, I don't think it's the same problem as the Android bug. When I had my Pixel phone I was getting messages that I had never seen from people that I'm not sure would send that type of message. I was also seeing super old messages from years ago, sometimes the same message over and over. And this was happening about 50% of the time; so much so that I really couldn't rely on messages in my car and had to look at my phone to make sure the message was correct before responding. It was a true pain in the butt. Luckily, since switching to iPhone I've had zero issues.

You might want to start a new thread for this iPhone problem and see if anyone else is experiencing the same bug. If you do, make sure to reference the Android issue. Maybe that will help people find the problem.

I still get this all the time. It's really random too. Sometimes I send a text from my Android using voice commands and I immediately get a text back from someone random from years ago. I think someone back at Tesla software engineering is rickrolling us for the LOLs.

Seriously though this can't be that difficult to patch.

Confirmed on second replacement phone (Same, Moto Edge Plus), by skipping the restore of sms, i don't have this issue moving forward.

It sucks not having my text history, sometimes I may want to look things up, but at least this issue is now solved for me.

I encourage you to try a factory reset without restoring SMS, that may solve your issue