Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom volume changes (not touchscreen issue)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Already booked in for a service appointment, but I've been having v strange behaviour relating to the left scroll wheel, mainly affecting volume.

Sometimes I cannot adjust the volume at all from the scroll wheel, but can adjust fine from the volume icon in the bottom left of the screen.

Sometimes the volume will change by itself, either a notch or two up or down, or will slowly scroll to either max volume or muted.

I am assuming that it's not phantom touches on the screen as the volume notification appears under the car on the right, rather than just above the volume icon on the left.

I have already done the scroll wheel reset twice to no avail. I can't see a pattern to the behaviour either - on the journey home it behaved itself.

When my current Model 3 was new on the first day I purchased it, the volume would keep randomly changing just like yours. I felt sure it wasn't the screen but rebooting the car with the two scroll wheel buttons magically fixed the issue! Has the problem happened again since the reboot you mentioned?

When my current Model 3 was new on the first day I purchased it, the volume would keep randomly changing just like yours. I felt sure it wasn't the screen but rebooting the car with the two scroll wheel buttons magically fixed the issue! Has the problem happened again since the reboot you mentioned?
Yes, it's happening despite two reboots so far.

I have noticed that the music/radio volume automatically lowers a tiny bit at low speeds and then goes back up once you start driving faster. It's a safety feature that I have had seen in other cars, although there is no mention of it in the manual or a way to turn it on/off.

It’s not really a safety feature it’s just adjusting the volume to compensate for higher road/wind noise. When I first got mine in April 2018 it was actually an option that you could toggle on/off but a subsequent ota took the option away. I guess they figured there was no reason not to want it all the time. A ton of new options have been added since then. They might be concerned about the complexity of the option menus so they purged the options that makes most sense.