Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the family on a trip last week in the Model S. We parked the car in the hotel parking garage for several days. At one point I went back to the car to get my rain jacket and nothing out of the ordinary. Two days later, I went back to start loading the car and the driver side window was down. I figured maybe I accidentally rolled it down via the app, but the app doesn't actually have that functionality. There's no way I just left it down. Nothing was missing and there was no sign that anyone had been in the car. It was pretty odd. Any thoughts?

I have had the same thing happen (2017 Model S 100D) - once the driver's side window and more recently, while away on a week-long trip, the front passenger side window. 100% certain they were rolled up when I left the car parked and a few days later they were mysteriously rolled down. Did you ever receive any feedback on this and what might cause it?

I have had the same thing happen (2017 Model S 100D) - once the driver's side window and more recently, while away on a week-long trip, the front passenger side window. 100% certain they were rolled up when I left the car parked and a few days later they were mysteriously rolled down. Did you ever receive any feedback on this and what might cause it?

I something similar happen a few weeks ago after an update, I came out to the car and noticed the rear passenger window was down part way. Finally figured out that each time the rear passenger door was opened the window would drop down like normal but it would not go back up once the door was closed, so opening and closing the door would cause the window to keep getting lower each time. Rebooting the center screen (holding both scroll wheels) fixed it in my case.

I something similar happen a few weeks ago after an update, I came out to the car and noticed the rear passenger window was down part way. Finally figured out that each time the rear passenger door was opened the window would drop down like normal but it would not go back up once the door was closed, so opening and closing the door would cause the window to keep getting lower each time. Rebooting the center screen (holding both scroll wheels) fixed it in my case.

Ditto for me. The mobile ranger said to close the window and continue holding the switch in the up position for 5sec to reset the window sensor.

It’s happened to me a couple times, i thought maybe the remote has some secret combo to roll down the windows like many (at least German) cars do.
Both times the driver’s window was down all the way even though i was 99% sure that it was up all the way when i left.

This is probably caused by your knee hitting the window down button. I had this happened to me a couple times. I would leave the car thinking the window is up, but came back to the car down. At first I thought it was a bug in the software. Then it happened again, but this time while I was driving and I noticed my knee was hitting the window down button. Try it yourself. It's super easy to hit the button if you have jeans and trying to change seating position.

Yea, no, not buying it.
I went to my car and checked, and i don’t see any way that i would hit that switch when getting out of the car.
Not to mention that i would very likely notice the window rolling down while i was closing the door.

Also a "no" here to the knee hitting the button thing. No question in each case, while parked in same location for several days, window rolled down "on it's own." In fact, the second time it happened (last week), I was out of town and my car was parked at my office. My space happens to be right by the elevator so many employees walk by it several time a day. On the 5th day I was gone I got an email from my assistant and two other employees, each saying some version of "hey, your passenger side window is rolled down today."

Knock on wood this problem of mine has been solved after a few attempts by the SC. This time around they not only replaced the drivers master window switch but the regulators of both the passenger windows that kept opening by themselves. Twice it happened when it rained, once happening overnight that soaked the whole front passenger seat messing up the seat belt connection and more. I had to wait 3 weeks for the SC to receivea whole new seat from Tesla.