Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PHEV hump...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey

Anyone else got a thing about PHEVs or is it just me?

It just annoys me how some of the owners think they are saving the world and being super green with their EVs. like the massive Mitsubishi with the tiny 33mile range battery taking up EV charging slots for hours at a time :(

I had to correct an owner the other day talking about his fully EV I was like hang on it’s a PHEV, yeah but I only use the battery, hang on you do a 60mile round trip commute, how does that work?

Just gets my goat.

Thinking of getting one for my elderly inlaws. They only go to town and back, 20 or 30 miles max maybe. But they drive to other sibbling and to France once in a blue moon, and they certainly would not cope with the hassle of charging on a road-trip ...

... suggestions on a suitable make/model pls :)

I'm put off Leaf because of horrific battery degradation ... but maybe a second hand one is cheap as chips?

i3 (i.e. plus Range Extender) looks spectacularly Boy Racer for an octogenarian!

There was a slightly irritating Mitsubishi PHEV owner on the SpeakEV forum banging on about how amazing his fuel consumption was on a 2000 mile round trip into Europe without even charging it. But still a big improvement on those who still insist on driving massive V8 petrol/diesel SUVs around town and on huge Euro trips just for fun. Especially those who come out with statements along the lines of "I don't care about fuel costs because I can easily afford it". That sort of attitude really does wind me up in this day and age.

IMO, the most hump-inducing aspect of other people with PHEVs is company cars where they take the tax-break for being PHEV but then don't bother to charge them and end up worse-off for MPG than just driving a conventional car (but don't care because the company is paying).

As a car to own, if you can't afford a 200-mile EV and have a commute that fits the battery, then they aren't necessarily a bad thing. Certainly the Volt/Ampera and i3 REX can be used as genuine EVs within their battery range and only fire up the engine on rare occasions when needed. As I understand it, the Mitsubishi Outlander isn't in that class since capabilities are limited in EV mode (particularly in winter).

I'm put off Leaf because of horrific battery degradation ... but maybe a second hand one is cheap as chips?

I don't think the degradation is that horiffic - it's not great, but it's relatively predictable and if your usage fits within the (degraded) range then it could still be a sensible buy. Not suitable as a machine for long-distance for a non-enthusiast relative however.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I had a test drive in a Volvo XC90 T8 hybrid before buying my Tesla and was very disappointed with the battery range. It was flat in well under 50 miles of mixed usage and then nothing but dead weight in the car. It was also a very complicated powertrain and even understanding the dash power source/usage gauge and various power modes (with differing mixes of ICE/EV) was a total nightmare! It made the decision to buy an MX very easy for me. The full EV powertrain is simply light years ahead in every respect and much easier to use. I won't be showing any further interest in PHEVs at this point.

Thinking of getting one for my elderly inlaws. They only go to town and back, 20 or 30 miles max maybe. But they drive to other sibbling and to France once in a blue moon, and they certainly would not cope with the hassle of charging on a road-trip ...

... suggestions on a suitable make/model pls :)

i3 (i.e. plus Range Extender) looks spectacularly Boy Racer for an octogenarian!

Zoe? Should be some good deals on 2nd hand models. Range will be more than adequate.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
hey

It just annoys me how some of the owners think they are saving the world and being super green with their EVs. like the massive Mitsubishi with the tiny 33mile range battery taking up EV charging slots for hours at a time :(

I had to correct an owner the other day talking about his fully EV I was like hang on it’s a PHEV, yeah but I only use the battery, hang on you do a 60mile round trip commute, how does that work?

Just gets my goat.

Electric leaf man sums it up nicely on his latest vlog:

hey

Just gets my goat.

I was talking to an owner of the new Range Rover PHEV recently. He does a 30 mile commute each way, charging at home and plugging in at the office. All electric. Engine only used when hooning around at weekends, holidays etc. How is that not a GOOD THING?