Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PHEV v Pure EV at charging points

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Years back when I had a first generation Zoe was almost pushed from an Ecotricity charger on the M40 by an Outlander PHEV who parked so close to me and then started looking down waiting for me to finish my charge. Found it so imitating that when having enough charge moved to the next service station (Warwick arrived with 5%) to have a 80% charge...

I would have charged to 100% just to piss off the PHEV owner.

Virtually all phev can recharge the batteries when driving so dont actually need a charge unless they have literally run out of fossil fuels

Virtually all phev can recharge the batteries when driving so dont actually need a charge unless they have literally run out of fossil fuels

Not in my five years of PHEV driving. The best that might happen is that the battery charge may stay fairly constant when driving in ICE mode, but the battery would never charge when driving like this. The only way to force it to charge was to switch to EV mode at the top of every hill, let regen charge the battery a bit, then switch back to ICE mode at the bottom of the hill. Not very sensible, in terms of energy use, but useful if you need to drive the last mile or so in EV mode, perhaps for that stealth approach.

Not in my five years of PHEV driving.

Once...
IMG_20181123_145400148.jpg

The Prius PHEV would shuttle small amounts of energy backwards and forwards to and from the battery when driving in ICE mode, but the mean battery SoC would stay the same. My guess is that it used the same algorithm as the normal hybrid, so probably only shifted around a few hundred Wh at most.

The i3 with range extender (also a PHEV) did much the same, turning on the range extender generator never increased the overall state of charge of the battery, it just kept the battery at the same mean level, charging it up a bit when the power demand was low and discharging it a bit when the power demand was greater than the RE could cope with.