TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Phil LeBeau on CNBC "real time test drive"

Discussion in 'News' started by Slackjaw, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

#1 Slackjaw, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    To CNBC's credit they are currently (Tuesday a.m.) running a LIVE test drive of the Model S with the auto reporter, Phil LeBeau. So far he seems to like the car. The most amazing thing about this is that for a while Tesla was getting coverage on both Bloomberg TV and CNBC at the same time. Truly impressive media blitz. Of the CNBC presenters Phil LeBeau doesn't seem so bad. Brian Sullivan ("Sully") has been significantly anti-EV in the past but recently seems to have been a bit more balanced. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. If the drive goes without issue, it'll be another blow to Broder's credibility but also great publicity for TM.

Stock Market News, Business News, Financial, Earnings, World Markets - CNBC ... can't find a hard link the the video but it is available on the right hand side of the home page.

2. Bearman

Bearman Member

Thanks Slackjaw, I think this is the direct link to the video:
    [video]http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?play=1&video=3000148919#eyJ2aWQiOiIzMDAwMTQ4OTE5IiwiZW5jV mlkIjoiS05aTUsxYVlaRFI5SWdlME0vUnVtdz09IiwidlRhYiI 6ImluZm8iLCJ2UGFnZSI6IiIsImdOYXYiOlsiwqBMYXRlc3QgV mlkZW8iXSwiZ1NlY3QiOiJBTEwiLCJnUGFnZSI6IjEiLCJzeW0 iOiIiLCJzZWFyY2giOiIifQ==[/video]

You can also follow him on the twitter feed https://twitter.com/Lebeaucarnews

3. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Too bad the weather is so much warmer today than when the NYT did its test drive.

5. Bearman

Bearman Member

6. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

I like Phil's stuff, though he is one of those reporters that doesn't know the details very well and often often misspeaks when talking about specs in ways that would annoy most of us here.

7. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Yes, he's already had a couple of "misspeaks" but I find him quite likeable.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Who owns the car?

9. Bearman

Bearman Member

I presume Phil's car was supplied to him by Tesla for this test drive?

10. Objective1

Objective1 Member

Yes, he's not helping by saying the EPA rating is 285 miles.

11. Bearman

Bearman Member

12. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

13. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

14. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

I only watched the first one, but the reported did a good job with the facts about the car. I was a little surprised that the talking heads in the studio were so surprised that it took a whole hour to recharge on a Supercharger, and seemed annoyed that you would have to find something to do at a mall after driving for 3 and a half hours.

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I kept yelling at the screen at the banter segment of this one.

Say that it's FREE!

LeBeaus Tesla Test Drive Update - CNBC

Especially when CNBC is alternately covering the possibility of $5 a gallon gasoline.

Can someone tweet him?

16. onlinespending

One thing that I think that is lost in all of these Supercharger test drives (and the obvious inconvenience of having to wait an hour for a full charge) is that this is not something people will be doing on a regular basis. You'd really only be using them for long, planned road trips. It's not as if Superchargers are the EV equivalent to a gas station. Nope. Your home garage where you keep your car charged every night is what replaces the gas station. How more convenient can you get than that? It'd be like having your own gas pump in your garage.

So far a large majority of a Model S owner's driving, you'd never even go near a Supercharger or public EV charging station. And for those long road trips that require public charging, it's not as if there aren't other options if you truly couldn't tolerate the wait (using a 2nd car that happens to be an ICE, getting a rental, etc.).

17. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Anyone going to meet him?

19. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That would be great. Correct him on EPA range and that Suoercharging is free.

20. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Agreed. Casual folks don't seem to get this. Unless you road trip every week or so, is much more convenient to have a 200 mile full charge each morning. And even if you do have long trips occasionally, once you know a route, and have experience in taking them, it's really not that big a deal either.