Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phil LeBeau on CNBC "real time test drive"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who said that Elon made a mistake by fighting back may now eat their proverbial hat.

This is amazing coverage. Tesla can edit this down to a 4 minute piece where Phil starts out with range anxiety and looses it in the end.

Getting a veteran car reporter that much seat time to fall in love with the car is PRICELESS. He answers reporters questions, and they are even envious of his drive.

I would not normal recommend a trip like this until someone had the car for a week or so but Phil has picked it up when Broder just screwed up, freaked out and called Tesla every few minutes. I think Tesla has a new fan in Phil.

Anyone notice the slight Tesla grin on his stoic reporter face as time passed?

Latest video from Milford. Very positive.
Behind the Wheel with Phil Lebeau

'Very positive' is an understatement. Phil LeBeau's body language and the tenor of his voice tell the story: he's convinced the S is for real, he 'gets it' when it comes to managing range and battery charging, any range anxiety he might have felt is gone. And the unspoken subtext is, clearly, "Broder was an idiot."

The talking head in the studio, however, seemed appalled that you'd have to stop for up to an hour to charge. Pretty sure Tesla wouldn't want to put the guy in an S for a trip across South Dakota and Wyoming in the hopes of a good review, though Phil handled him pretty well.

Anyone who said that Elon made a mistake by fighting back may now eat their proverbial hat.

This is amazing coverage. Tesla can edit this down to a 4 minute piece where Phil starts out with range anxiety and looses it in the end.

Getting a veteran car reporter that much seat time to fall in love with the car is PRICELESS. He answers reporters questions, and they are even envious of his drive.

I would not normal recommend a trip like this until someone had the car for a week or so but Phil has picked it up when Broder just screwed up, freaked out and called Tesla every few minutes. I think Tesla has a new fan in Phil.

Anyone notice the slight Tesla grin on his stoic reporter face as time passed?

Agree, and yes you can tell from just the look on his face he likes the car. :biggrin:

I'm impressed that Phil had the Model S pricing information right on the tip of his tongue. The only thing he neglected to mention is that the Superchargers are FREE.

He managed to slip the 'free' word into the live interview he gave as he drove up to the Milford Superchargers. And a lot of other positive things, too. He clearly likes the car and has lost any range anxiety he might have had up front.

What a difference a week can make. TSLA is up 6% today. Earnings Report tomorrow at 5:30 EST. In hindsight, perhaps the NY Times article was not such a bad thing after all. It certainly got everyone's attention. Without it, there wouldn't have been such a massive show of support for the Model S. Unless the analysts really miscalculated, tomorrows report should attract a lot of new investors to the stock. Fasten your seat belt!

Superchargers are not for everyone...

I think the earlier comments about superchargers not being an everyday thing deserve much more attention. I've been driving my wife nuts trying to figure out where we could drive once Superchargers are in Texas, and to be honest, we're just not road trip people. We occasionally make the 150 mile drives to Dallas or Houston (from Austin), and certainly the 90 miles to San Antonio, but even with the 60 kwh battery, the supercharger is just more convenient than the alternative. Anything beyond those cities from here is too far to bother for an ICE for us...we'd rather fly! To be fair, the next useful stop after Houston is another 6 hours (New Orleans), so there's not much to drive to from here. I got the supercharger hardware mostly because one day it will make the drive to Houston or Dallas fairly convenient, but I expect to use superchargers perhaps 4-5 times per year. If it takes 50 min. instead of 30, oh well!

Last edited:
vfx +1, this is totally PRICELESS. Bases loaded, big swing, grand slam priceless!

I guess all the other news outlets smelled blood in the water and couldn't get in on the action fast enough to smack a little righteousness at the NYT.

Go Tesla!