Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Philadelphia Offering Chargers in Front of Your House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This sounds like a pretty nice deal in a congested urban area. Not cheap, but vastly better than nothing, and appears to be appropriately worded fro public parking spaces.
The only downside is that the space can be used by any EV, so you may pay for it yourself and then be "BEVed". Philadelphia not only might have ICEing, but not BEVing.

Were I to live there I'd be very pleased with this deal.

This sounds like a pretty nice deal in a congested urban area. Not cheap, but vastly better than nothing, and appears to be appropriately worded fro public parking spaces.
The only downside is that the space can be used by any EV, so you may pay for it yourself and then be "BEVed". Philadelphia not only might have ICEing, but not BEVing.

Were I to live there I'd be very pleased with this deal.

They aren't clear about who pays for the electricity though. If it is connected to your house and other EVs use it, then are you paying for them to charge-up? Maybe it'll be a ChargePoint that requires payment to use, with the account controlled by the city.

Sorry for the Trump comment. That was uncalled for. I just feel like he's going to cut all green incentives. I'm sure it's just paranoia on my part.
"Just because you're paranoid does not mean they're not out to get you." I choose to credit Yossarian in Joseph Heller's Catch 22 with the statement whether he did it or not because he certainly was devious enough to have said it.

They aren't clear about who pays for the electricity though. If it is connected to your house and other EVs use it, then are you paying for them to charge-up? Maybe it'll be a ChargePoint that requires payment to use, with the account controlled by the city.

Agreed. That was the one thing I was thinking reading through the policy linked in the first post. This policy covers the parking spot and the signage for that parking spot, making it reserved for *ANY* EV, not *YOUR* EV. I don't believe this covers the installation costs for the curbside outlet or the ongoing electricity costs. I guess the thing to do would be to monitor the usage and if it's a problem flip the "shut-off switch for the receptacle (that) must be installed inside the building at the exit" per the requirements in the form.

It sounds like it would be awesome until that neighbor buys a Bolt and gets home from work 10 minutes before you every day.

If you have to kick down for the electricity I'd put in a Chargepoint and charge other people enough to make it worth not having your spot occasionally. Ideally, the city would pay for the electrical and a nominal charge cost per usage. That would keep people from using it as a parking spot.

They should also put a sign that says "Please call xxx-xxxx if a non-EV car is parked here so they can be towed."

Reactions: wesley888
who pays for power? since the rules say "anyone can use it" and its NOT your personal space

Exactly. It's somewhat vague in that respect. It almost seems as though you get a sign designating the spot as reserved for EV's and you just install an outlet for your own portable EVSE so it sounds like the homeowner pays the electricity. If you get a Chargepoint EVSE, then you can require others who use it to have an account and pay for use. I reckon you can make money off of it if that's the case.