Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Philly Suburbs to Buffalo in an 85? Should I even attempt it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to figure out if it is worth to try making it using PlugShare shared home chargers... Kind of a desert out there going north on I-476 and then on I-81... I know there were some high-speed SunCountry chargers closer to Syracuse, but how to get there?

Oh yeah, definitely not...I was hoping it was weeks or months away. Oddly enough, if the I-76 SpCs were in place, the longer route would be faster overall, since you wouldn't need to spend as many hours charging. Hopefully Allentown, Binghamton, Syracuse, Ithaca and Buffalo get their SpC stations soon.

My trip from Kennett Square to Wilkes-Barre and back last week was a true nightmare. I made it home with 2 miles left and freezing cold. It wasn't fun driving down the northeast extension going 55 mph! I won't be venturing up that way in the MS again unless I have a ton of time to spare for level 2 chargers or they put in a supercharger in Allentown. Good luck Sam!

If you've got an ICE you can use, I wouldn't go with the MS on this trip, at this time. The direct route is 6 hours of driving, but you have poor charging options along that route. You need to charge somewhere around Binghamton to get you enough charge to get to the better charger at Syracuse. If it's cold and windy, as it's likely to be, you could easily be looking at 6 hours of charging + 6 hours of driving.

If you've got an ICE you can use, I wouldn't go with the MS on this trip, at this time. The direct route is 6 hours of driving, but you have poor charging options along that route. You need to charge somewhere around Binghamton to get you enough charge to get to the better charger at Syracuse. If it's cold and windy, as it's likely to be, you could easily be looking at 6 hours of charging + 6 hours of driving.

This is why my P85 has not left Rochester Yet. 90Amp charging is fine at home but not on a trip. Maybe when Albany and Newburgh and Edison come online.

This is why my P85 has not left Rochester Yet. 90Amp charging is fine at home but not on a trip.
I found that 90 amp (Sun Country Highway) charging was fine on a leisurely trip... but between Philadelphia to Syracuse, you don't even have that, you only have very-low-speed charging.

The promised Scranton supercharger should make this trip possible, though given ipryor's report, you'd probably have to stop and top up at a very-low-speed charger -- or the Norristown service center -- even to make it to Scranton.

Going to Hannibal ny from chicago by way of Cleveland. Not sure how to route. Can't find a map that gives relatively high speed chargers along the way. Do have dual chargers on board. I don't know how to filter plugshare's low speed chargers off their map.

Dr.K--If you don't have to stop in Cleveland, route through Ontario. Assuming that doesn't work, since you specified Cleveland, you need a stop between Macedonia and Hannibal. There are a few options: KOAs if they're open when you're planning the trip. Check PlugShare, there are a few along Lake Erie between Erie and Buffalo. Always call ahead to make sure you can use them. The alternative is residential chargers (only select that option on the PlugShare site). I only saw one 14-50 or HPWC and that's outside Buffalo. About 200 miles. Certainly doable, just need to be aware of weather. Again, call ahead to ensure it won't be a problem.

Going to Hannibal ny from chicago by way of Cleveland. Not sure how to route.
You can't do it. Go through Michigan and Canada intead. We've been complaining about this for several years now. The problem is that you can't get from Cleveland to Buffalo; the rest of the route is fine. Basically, one fast charger in Erie and it becomes easy.

You can't do it. Go through Michigan and Canada intead. We've been complaining about this for several years now. The problem is that you can't get from Cleveland to Buffalo; the rest of the route is fine. Basically, one fast charger in Erie and it becomes easy.

You CAN get from Cleveland (Macedonia) to Buffalo. I did it April 5th after I had my MS85 serviced. Have to watch your speed and maybe consider a little judicious hypermiling but it CAN be done. Admittedly, last time I did start from the Lyndhurst Service Center with a range charge. The center will accommodate you during business hours if you call ahead and they have a Supercharger inside their facility! Does knock about 15 miles off the trip compared to starting from Macedonia. Erie will be very nice when it materializes. Looks like the Buffalo Supercharger won't be live until June. The Tesla equipment is installed but dysfunctional NYS Electric and Gas failed to deliver and hook up THEIR transformer before the install team left on Friday