Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phoenix, AZ Model 3 Performance Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s worth lots to me. The look on their faces is truly priceless. :D

"it's not how fast you go but how you look going fast"

Had a guy in a 458 race me (P90DL) on an early morning from light to light in no traffic
and that's what he said after we stopped at the next light:cool:

it was funny and he did give props to what Tesla is capable of off the line
he just wanted to keep me in check that he had a car that was simply amazing to look at
i still chuckle thinking about it

Just a side note on the tires here. I have driven cars with Michelin Pilot Sport tires of various generations for years.While I agree that driving in snow is asking for serious trouble, these tires are fine in temperatures as low as 20* F. They may not pull 1g in those temperatures, but you can certainly drive at reasonable speeds without feeling like you are going to slide off the road.

Again, for the OP this would only be relevant for winter road trips above the Mogollon Rim, most likely...but...

From Tire Rack website description of Michelin PS4S, info provided by Michelin:

"The Pilot Sport 4S excels in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Max Performance Summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

Last edited:
OP here. Really appreciate the input and feedback. I was not considering LR RWD, will look into this option. I need to check if this trim can be ordered with a Premium interior.

On a different note, in no hurry to purchase a car by end of June. So, hopefully, some inventory models can be had with potential discounts (or cheaper upgrade options).

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Hey, ASUgrad!

I commute from North Scottsdale to downtown Phoenix M-F, about 55 miles roundtrip. I have 2 Performance Model 3s, and my wife drives an AWD Model 3.

Both versions are stupid, ridiculously fast. Both handle like they are on rails. The Performance version has the larger rotors and brake calipers, and stops on a dime. The AWD version stops great, but I think the Performance brakes slightly better. Maybe some of what I am sensing is the difference in tires? The PS4s on the Performance are notably "sticky" and adhere to the road.

I enjoy driving both versions. The $10-11k difference is a consideration. But it really comes down to personal preference. There are probably no significant differences in safety just based on hardware/brakes. The Model 3 is an extremely safe car, no matter the version or level of trim. Autopilot is included in either version and includes fabulous safety autonomy, along with 5 star crash ratings in EVERY category in U.S. gov't safety tests.

Most of my driving in my Performance version I do in "chill" mode to conserve the battery, and I get about 315 watt/hours per mile as compared to about 268 watt/hours per mile in the AWD version (also in "chill" mode most of the time).

If you'd like to compare versions, hit me up! You can test drive both versions at my casa in NoSco. Shoot me an email:
[email protected]. If you'd like a longer test drive, I'll have a brand-new Model 3 Performance (red/white) on Turo beginning around June 24th.

Hi Jaywalker - thanks for the information and test drive offer.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I am in the Phoenix area and I recently purchased a LR RWD (April '19, inventory car) as I felt it was the best configuration for longer drives, especially around the desert SW. I still have a few other cars, one an EV and the rest gas powered. I was going to go for a P3D but I decided to save the cost as I do not plan on tracking my Tesla. I have other cars for that hobby.

OP here. Really appreciate the input and feedback. I was not considering LR RWD, will look into this option. I need to check if this trim can be ordered with a Premium interior.

On a different note, in no hurry to purchase a car by end of June. So, hopefully, some inventory models can be had with potential discounts (or cheaper upgrade options).
LR RWD is plenty good enough here in the valley, the only reason I would go for AWD or Performance is if you will regret not getting them for the 0-60 times. I would say get the RWD and get FSD and save the $$ for mods or other stuff you can do to the car.

"it's not how fast you go but how you look going fast"

Had a guy in a 458 race me (P90DL) on an early morning from light to light in no traffic
and that's what he said after we stopped at the next light:cool:

it was funny and he did give props to what Tesla is capable of off the line
he just wanted to keep me in check that he had a car that was simply amazing to look at
i still chuckle thinking about it

What a ferrari owner thing to say.

OP here. Thanks for all the feedback again. I am glad that I waited - going with the P trim with the 18-inch wheel option. With Monday's price change, this option looked right on the sweet spot. Ordered Monday night, taking delivery this weekend.

So it is the M3 Performance, without the 20 inch wheels/tires, suspension, and upgraded brakes/calipers/rotors? I might’ve gone that route if it had been available. Congrats on the sweet deal!!

Wish I could've had such a fantastic deal! Happy Tesla-ing!! If you are thinking of going solar like my wife and I did, my 2 teenage boys and I self-installed our own 10.6kilowatt system, and I'd be happy to discuss with you what was needed. It is really sweet being able to charge for free with Arizona sunshine. [email protected]

@Jaywalker - thanks! Will definitely keep this in mind if I decide to go solar.

Reactions: Jaywlker
Congrats !! Post how your delivery goes..

Took delivery at the Tempe Service Center. I was told the center now delivers around 20 cars per day, compared to up to 60 cars just before the July 1st deadline. So, that showed during the overall process - it felt relaxed, not rushed. I spent around 50 minutes there. The Pearl White on my car looked flawless, 2 or 3 minor defects around the corners which I did not notice myself. Honestly, those are hard to see. Nevertheless, a colleague of mine (who also owns a 3 and came along with me) did and it was duly recorded. Honestly, those defects did not bother me at all and I would not have paid any attention if those were not pointed out to me. I went to the service shop too to get a NEMA adapter, overall looked like a clean, nice place to have your car serviced! Overall, everybody at the center was professional and polite.

I must add, absolutely no dirt inside and out. It was in showroom condition.

Last edited:
Reactions: destructure00