TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Phone adapter installation

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by ddep, Jun 1, 2016.

1. ddep

ddep Member

I got a box of cables and parts that came in the glove compartment but there is no installation instructions. Or is the installation that simple and i'm just not getting it:confused:

• Informative x 1
  2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I did the install, pretty simple. I just hope you got the correct adapter?

3. ddep

ddep Member

I only got a usb and iphone adapter. but I need usb-c. Did yours come with usb-c?

4. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

No but I gues you can buy a USB C adapter and swap it in place

5. ddep

ddep Member

hmm ok i think it needs to be a special one with a smaller plastic head part to fit in the housing. but i will look into it.
    Thanks,

6. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

It was my understanding that until very recently, people had a choice between micro-USB and iPhone-lightning . USB-C is not an option at this time.

7. jeffreys

jeffreys Member

I took a shot at installing the adapter. I couldn't get the two tabs into the space available. Can anyone who's done it give a hint? Also, it looks like the other pieces in that kit are intended to construct a suitably sized guide-slot for the phone. Did anyone figure out the right installation for those? Obviously this is easily handled the next time I'm at the SC, if I remember, but I'm holding out high hopes to not visit until next spring...

I figured the installation instructions would be in the service manual. Since I'm a MA resident and a Model X owner, I figured service.teslamotors.com might work. No luck. Access denied on all model X documents. I've sent an inquiry to support to find out how to access them.

I'm not convinced the dock is a good idea in the presence of heavy acceleration. It seems like it might torque the charging connector to extremes in that setting.

8. FlaNudistXOwner

I picked u my X on Tuesday - there were two cables and a bag of some tabs - the delivery person installed the iphone cable in 3 min - you have to remove the bottom panel - remove the two screws and lift the door out - run the cable to the USB port and reinstall.

9. Dawgfan

Dawgfan Member

I'm kind of surprised the DS didn't assist with the install. But I'm still waiting for delivery, so perhaps I am anticipating too much from the DS.

• Funny x 1
  10. MattXowner

MattXowner Member

Mine came with the iPhone cable installed. But I have a bag with 4 tabs (side guides?) labeled 1-4. I have an iPhone 6s. Anybody know which numbered tabs work best. Do the just install in 1 position or are there multiple options?

Thanks!!

11. ddep

ddep Member

Finally got a chance to looks at the parts that came with it. It is indeed very easy to install.
    Once I realized the bottom rubber mat comes off everything became apparently.

@MattXowner, the tabs slide in pretty easily so you can try the 2 sets and figure out which set works best for your phone.

Here are the photos of my installation: https://goo.gl/photos/zrKTbgibtDjR2q7D6

• Informative x 3
  12. loganintx

loganintx Member

I tried mine out yesterday. The DS installed it real quick for me. However, the actual plug that inserts into the iphone isn't held in place rigidly enough so it tends to flex towards the back of the car and sliding the phone down into the guided rails doesn't line up the phone charging port with the lightning plug. I don't see myself using this much anyway.

• Informative x 1
  13. MattXowner

MattXowner Member

Thanks for the info. Pretty simple. Lol. I have the guides in and they work great with my iPhone 6s.

Another question, is there a way to access voicemail from the touchscreen? not sure if Apple phones prevent this, but a better phone interface would be awesome in a future update.

Some ideas:

1) voicemail access if not already possible
    2) type names to search contacts I stayed of scrolling (if not already possible)
    3) read texts to me and be able to talk-text replies.

14. Hengist

Hengist Member

Can't you ask Siri to do that?

How to have Siri check your voicemail
    1. Press and hold the Home button on your iPhone to activate Siri.
    2. Say something like Check my voicemail or Do I have any voicemails?
    3. Siri will then tell you if you have any messages in your Visual Voicemail. If so, you can tap on any one of them in order to play them. You may be asked to enter your passcode if you have one.

15. FA1820

FA1820 Member

@ddep, if you have a Samsung with USB C, it will take a regular micro USB cord to charge.

16. xX><Xx

xX><Xx New Member

To get the two tabs into the space you just need to close the lid slightly to give you enough space to slide in the tabs in from the back.

17. balefire

balefire Member

Thank you for the pics.

Thank you for the tip

• Like x 1
  18. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

There used to be a picture with install instructions included in the dock accessory that Tesla had online in their store, but checking now, I don't see the dock listed there anymore.

Lifting the "door" to a 90 degree angle made the installation of the cables, connectors and rails much easier for me.

19. philinsf

philinsf Member

There is a screen shot of instructions on the Tesla website;

Tesla — Quick Connection Phone Dock

20. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

thank you philinsf!!