Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone adapter installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a shot at installing the adapter. I couldn't get the two tabs into the space available. Can anyone who's done it give a hint? Also, it looks like the other pieces in that kit are intended to construct a suitably sized guide-slot for the phone. Did anyone figure out the right installation for those? Obviously this is easily handled the next time I'm at the SC, if I remember, but I'm holding out high hopes to not visit until next spring...

I figured the installation instructions would be in the service manual. Since I'm a MA resident and a Model X owner, I figured service.teslamotors.com might work. No luck. Access denied on all model X documents. I've sent an inquiry to support to find out how to access them.

I'm not convinced the dock is a good idea in the presence of heavy acceleration. It seems like it might torque the charging connector to extremes in that setting.

I tried mine out yesterday. The DS installed it real quick for me. However, the actual plug that inserts into the iphone isn't held in place rigidly enough so it tends to flex towards the back of the car and sliding the phone down into the guided rails doesn't line up the phone charging port with the lightning plug. I don't see myself using this much anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: umeshunni
Finally got a chance to looks at the parts that came with it. It is indeed very easy to install.
Once I realized the bottom rubber mat comes off everything became apparently.

@MattXowner, the tabs slide in pretty easily so you can try the 2 sets and figure out which set works best for your phone.

Here are the photos of my installation: https://goo.gl/photos/zrKTbgibtDjR2q7D6
Thanks for the info. Pretty simple. Lol. I have the guides in and they work great with my iPhone 6s.

Another question, is there a way to access voicemail from the touchscreen? not sure if Apple phones prevent this, but a better phone interface would be awesome in a future update.

Some ideas:

1) voicemail access if not already possible
2) type names to search contacts I stayed of scrolling (if not already possible)
3) read texts to me and be able to talk-text replies.

Another question, is there a way to access voicemail from the touchscreen? not sure if Apple phones prevent this, but a better phone interface would be awesome in a future update.
Can't you ask Siri to do that?

How to have Siri check your voicemail
  1. Press and hold the Home button on your iPhone to activate Siri.
  2. Say something like Check my voicemail or Do I have any voicemails?
  3. Siri will then tell you if you have any messages in your Visual Voicemail. If so, you can tap on any one of them in order to play them. You may be asked to enter your passcode if you have one.

I took a shot at installing the adapter. I couldn't get the two tabs into the space available. Can anyone who's done it give a hint? Also, it looks like the other pieces in that kit are intended to construct a suitably sized guide-slot for the phone. Did anyone figure out the right installation for those? Obviously this is easily handled the next time I'm at the SC, if I remember, but I'm holding out high hopes to not visit until next spring...

I figured the installation instructions would be in the service manual. Since I'm a MA resident and a Model X owner, I figured service.teslamotors.com might work. No luck. Access denied on all model X documents. I've sent an inquiry to support to find out how to access them.

I'm not convinced the dock is a good idea in the presence of heavy acceleration. It seems like it might torque the charging connector to extremes in that setting.

To get the two tabs into the space you just need to close the lid slightly to give you enough space to slide in the tabs in from the back.

Finally got a chance to looks at the parts that came with it. It is indeed very easy to install.
Once I realized the bottom rubber mat comes off everything became apparently.

@MattXowner, the tabs slide in pretty easily so you can try the 2 sets and figure out which set works best for your phone.

Here are the photos of my installation: https://goo.gl/photos/zrKTbgibtDjR2q7D6

Thank you for the pics.

To get the two tabs into the space you just need to close the lid slightly to give you enough space to slide in the tabs in from the back.

Thank you for the tip

Reactions: LuckyX
There used to be a picture with install instructions included in the dock accessory that Tesla had online in their store, but checking now, I don't see the dock listed there anymore.

Lifting the "door" to a 90 degree angle made the installation of the cables, connectors and rails much easier for me.

There is a screen shot of instructions on the Tesla website;

Tesla — Quick Connection Phone Dock