TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Phone always connects to car and starts playing music/podcast automatically

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ecarfan, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Couldn't describe this behavior very accurately in a short thread title. Here is what I am experiencing, I believe only since the last software update on my Dec 2013 Model S, which is V8.1 (17.11.10). I think this may have been reported before but I searched and couldn't find it.

Every time I get into my car my iPhone automatically starts playing whatever podcast or music or Audible audiobook I was last listening to in the gym or at home or in the car. It does this even if I have shut down the music or podcast app before I get into the car.

If while in the car I disconnect the phone from the car of course it stops playing, but when I exit and then return to the car it automatically connects and starts playing again.

I suppose for some people this might be a desirable feature, but to me it is not. I do not see anything in Settings to change this behavior. Of course I could tell the car to "forget this device" (in this case, my iPhone) but then I would have to re-connect it to the car the next time I wanted to use it.

Has anyone figured out a way to let the car automatically connect to their phone but not automatically start playing the last podcast or song they listened to? Thanks.

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Simple to fix. In the media player choose a source other than the phone -- streaming, USB, etc.

3. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Mostly it is a phone app feature. If w/e you are using on the phone automatically plays when it connects to speakers, then it'll automatically play when connecting to the Tesla bluetooth 'speaker'.

4. Nosken

Nosken Member

It actually is a bit deeper than that, if I completely quit the podcast app or iHeartRadio, it will reach in and start playing it, even though the app is no longer active at all, and I have forced quit the app. This is not how it reacts when you have a typical Bluetooth speaker set up.
    The only way I have found to remedy this, is as the poster above stated, switch to another source when you leave the car. This is particularly problematic, because if you open a car door, and are not inside the car, you are going to miss part of the podcast that plays in advertently.