TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Phone App: Android Beta Version introduced!

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by gg_got_a_tesla, Nov 5, 2012.

1. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Saw this in the letter to shareholders:

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/2085554337x0x611344/42cb80fa-6f64-4e48-93ff-2da29de21acc/Q3%202012%20Shareholder%20Letter%20Final.pdf

Did Tesla reach out to any early Sigs on here to try out the beta? Would one of you want to ping Tesla to find out more?

2. clea

clea Member

3. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

Nope. They have executives (Founders, I suppose) trying it out now. Was told this by multiple people as I went through the delivery experience. There's no exact ETA for getting out of beta, but assuming all goes well for the execs trying it out right now, it should be ready around year-end.

4. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Probably true, but maybe some of them read the forums? We could offer suggestions in the hopes someone's reading it ... would have to base it off what we saw from the beta event at the factory ... but some feedback (even if the features already exist) is better than none!

5. ADN_ModelS

ADN_ModelS Member

I thought the app was going to be out "later this summer" (see Charging Model S | Tesla Motors in the "check on your car section). Being in Boston, I can assure you summer is good and over. So... it should ship any moment?

6. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I suspect that they gave the beta to people who specifically don't read the forums! :biggrin:

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I've been using it for about 2 weeks but wasn't allowed to talk about its existence. I e-mailed the beta team since Telsa themselves announced it so got the ok. I'm still not allowed to talk about what it does or post pictures but it's nice so far. Works great.

8. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Ditto. Quite literally, ditto. Pretty pleased with it!

(I wasn't kidding when I said the testers might be reading the forums :smile:)

9. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Ohhh, you guys are so very sly! Glad to hear that the program is alive and well, in good hands, and is working well. Can't wait to see the final product.

10. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Us too. Only iPhone so far, and I have an Android, so my wife has been playing with it. Mostly while we were in Maryland running away from the hurricane in a rental car, she said "The BGC is at home, happy and charged".

11. kevincwelch

I don't suppose one could "accidentally" leave the app in a bar, a la iPhone 4 and Nexus 4, eh?

12. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Well... I did leave my iPhone at work tonight. But I don't have the app! :crying:

13. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Aha, traitors in our midst ;)

Please stress-test the app if you can by using it when there's a lot of network traffic going on in the background (installing a bunch of app updates, downloading emails etc.) and/or when a lot of apps are suspended (in the 'tray'). Poorly-coded iPhone apps tend to crash a lot in such situations.

14. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Or use a packet manipulation program on your connection to the internet. 5% packet loss and 500ms jitter?

Oh nevermind, you are really testing its swap to flash capabilities. In that case you want to load a cr*pload (technical term) of apps on the phone then switch between them a bunch while telling the car to do stuff. Telemetry while doing that or getting notifications from the car would be a good stress test.

15. kevincwelch

Would be nice if they would design an accompanying desktop application as well (web portal?) I think a nice example of this implementation is the Sonos desktop controller and the smartphone apps (obviously this uses a proprietary mesh network, but the concept would be similar in delivery).

16. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Hope android app releases at the same time, but sounds like it is behind,

17. kevincwelch

Kind of annoying that companies rush to get out the iPhone app first given that more people have Android phones. Maybe they did some market research and going that more Tesla owners/buyers have iPhones.

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The problem is that there isn't one Android platform. There are many, many different incompatible Android devices, and very few have market share approaching the iPhone. Developing and testing Android apps that work on many different devices is a challenge. Last I heard you needed to test on several dozen devices to ensure widespread compatibility.

In comparison, the iPhone has a large market share and it's pretty easy to develop an app that runs on all of them.

19. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Yep. I've done this (OVMS), and the Androids have been at least three-to-five times as much effort as iOS.

20. ClearwaterBchSteve

ClearwaterBchSteve P445 / VIN 1794

My company develops mobile apps in the transportation space. Doug_G is absolutely correct. The Android OS is more open and flexible to developers than iOS, however this introuduces many more compatibility and stability issues because of so many different "flavors" of system versions. Those of you familiar with Android will understand what I mean by 'flavors". I work with Android, but USE an iPhone - iOS please Tesla :)