Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: Android Beta Version introduced!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad they are not waiting on Apple (could take weeks)! I sure hope they don't slow Android and feature updates due to Apple's slowness (another advantage for Android!). Works great for me.

For the location map, the red arrow (like the car) is the car's location. The blinking blue dot is where the phone is located. For me with the phone next to the car - the two were off by a block. Thought the app was the problem, but as typical - user error! The phone's GPS was off, so it was actually amazing the phone could get the location so close without GPS.

As someone who's published apps to both app stores, the Google upload and publishing can be done within ~15 mins. Apple, however, has to review the code before a new app (or updated app) is published. It's just part of the Apple control of the ecosystem. Typical time frames for the Apple store are 5 business days for an initial app review, and 3 days for an update. There is absolutely no guarantee or SLA for Apple, so if it takes them 24 hours, great; if it takes them 24 days, all you can do is complain.

My guess will be mid next week for the Apple app.

I think it is more likely the app is already approved, but they have just elected not to release it yet. Given the date on the android app, they probably have a Feb 1 release date set on the app, so maybe it will go live at midnight tonight? (Or for those following the Top Menu thread, it could be Feb 3rd release?).

As someone who's published apps to both app stores, the Google upload and publishing can be done within ~15 mins. Apple, however, has to review the code before a new app (or updated app) is published. It's just part of the Apple control of the ecosystem. Typical time frames for the Apple store are 5 business days for an initial app review, and 3 days for an update. There is absolutely no guarantee or SLA for Apple, so if it takes them 24 hours, great; if it takes them 24 days, all you can do is complain.

My guess will be mid next week for the Apple app.

Supposedly it was already approved -- so it would just be a matter of flipping the switch and waiting for it to appear.

Running Tesla Model S App on PC/Mac

I don't have an Android device, but I used a product called Bluestack that emulates Android. They have both PC and Mac (free) downloads. My biggest problem is that my car is in the garage and 3G service is not good. Syncing was hit or miss. Here is a screenshot:
Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 31-Jan 8.09.24 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! I just remotely honked the horn about 20 times while she sat in the garage! :)

I wonder if my wife will be able to honk the horn from her phone while I'm driving...

I guess I can now reveal that we were testers for both Android and iPhone, and yes, your spouse can definitely play games with you remotely. As well as tracking your progress.

I don't have an Android device, but I used a product called Bluestack that emulates Android. They have both PC and Mac (free) downloads. My biggest problem is that my car is in the garage and 3G service is not good. Syncing was hit or miss. Here is a screenshot:
View attachment 15566
OK, installed the bluestack, but can't figure out how to get the app on it. Any tips?

Well, I knew my password for the Tesla online site was lame, but after authenticating to the new Android beta app, it told me it was too lame to continue using! Password must be at least 6 characters long with at least one letter and one number. Glad to see they are looking out for this kind of thing.

View attachment 15566
Thx for the tip. Bummer that it appears to be a poorly behaved app.

Namely, it goes fullscreen and the "un full screen" button makes it a full size window (ok, it lets you see your taskbar) that is not resizable. Also, there are 8 executables launched to support the thing.

Uninstalling now...