Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App improvements - wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find a recent thread so thought I'd start one, feel free to point me to an older wish list if this risks duplication. I'm posting in the vague hope that Tesla App Devs watch this forum!

For me, no 1 improvement would be to move charge control to the notification bar and make it dynamic according to the state the car is in. This is based on Android, not sure if Apple users get the same deal. So you'd see:
UNLOCK - CHARGE - REAR TRUNK > Tap Charge would open the charge door

When car is charging:
UNLOCK - STOP CHARGE - REAR TRUNK > Charging would stop AND unlock charge connector - if you only want to stop charge but leave it locked, use the App as usual as you're probably not near the car so this proximity method won't work anyway.

When returning to car which has stopped charging (full, reached your charge limit, overnight charge, you stopped via the App using Charging controls):
UNLOCK - UNLOCK PORT - REAR TRUNK > Unlocks the charge port

Because it's based on being in bluetooth proximity range to the car, this feels safe and most convenient. Today, if I'm charging at a regular charge point (non-Tesla) I have to unlock the phone, get back to the phone home screen (or swipe down and tap the Tesla notification), open the App, wait for it to connect to the car, go into Charging, tap Stop Charge, tap Unlock Charge Port. Using my suggested method I just unlock the phone, swipe down from any app that's running and tap STOP CHARGE and I'm away.

Appreciate that it could be UNLOCK - CHARGE - REAR TRUNK for all scenarios, it's pretty obvious what will happen as you already will know what you want to do, there is only one option for each scenario.

Whaddya reckon? What have I not understood that would stop this working? What are your great ideas to enhance the already excellent app?

I'd settle for the Bluetooth functionality existing as it currently does with the same feature set but 100% bug-free.

I know that's asking for too much, especially for Tesla. They'd rather add new whiz-bang features even if it means breaking older and more important features. I mean, who likes fixing broken stuff when you can use the same resources to make more and less useful stuff!? lol

I'll play along though.

Separate 1x1 Widgets for Android devices for lock/unlock, hatch, climate with current status would be awfully useful.

I'd also like to see more integration of controls within the app that are currently exclusive to the MCU. You know how handy it would be to be able to do things like enable max performance while not in the car? Often times I'll be hanging out with a group of people when I can tell the conversation is going to turn into a quick demo ride for someone who's never been in a Tesla. Rather than having to wait 45min for the battery pack to heat up it would be SO nice to enable this while we're talking and have it done or close to done before we even go out to the car.

I'd also like to be able to adjust the front seats from the phone as well as the MCU. Might have to add a safety feature for the driver's seat from the app to not allow adjustment while not in Park but otherwise it would be SO nice to have this control for those of us who camp in the back of our cars and need to frequently make adjustments to the front seats. Having to get out and walk to the front to adjust seats when it's snowing out is a PITA.

Also, why can't I vent side windows or roll them up? I can drive my car around without being in it from my phone but I can't roll the windows up when it's raining?

Also, why can't I set the A/C amperage from the app's charge menu? There's been times this would have come in very handy but seems to be a complete oversight by Tesla.

Is this a Model S thing? It exists already for Model 3.

When I first owned these cars I could have swore it was an option within the features of the app. Then, one day a year or so ago I actually had a need for it and when I went into the app I couldn't find it anywhere. I swore it was there previously but never needed it. For over a year now through several firmware updates that feature still doesn't exist. I can't for sure if it was there once and they took it away or what but from your post it makes me think that there's a possibility that it was once there and removed.

When car is charging:
UNLOCK - STOP CHARGE - REAR TRUNK > Charging would stop AND unlock charge connector - if you only want to stop charge but leave it locked, use the App as usual as you're probably not near the car so this proximity method won't work anyway.

When returning to car which has stopped charging (full, reached your charge limit, overnight charge, you stopped via the App using Charging controls):
UNLOCK - UNLOCK PORT - REAR TRUNK > Unlocks the charge port

For that it's much faster to slightly push, no need to actually open the door, the rear left door handle (or any other, but that's the one closer to the charge port) and the car will wake up and unlock the charge port. That way you don't have to use the app.

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
For that it's much faster to slightly push, no need to actually open the door, the rear left door handle (or any other, but that's the one closer to the charge port) and the car will wake up and unlock the charge port. That way you don't have to use the app.
Thanks for the reply. I've seen this mentioned before but never got it to work. Does the car have to be asleep? Must it have finished charging? My Model 3 UK variant, somehow different?

I can't for sure if it was there once and they took it away or what but from your post it makes me think that there's a possibility that it was once there and removed.

My brother-in-law has both M and S and he sounded surprised at the difference too. I think I've read that the S does not have some additional gizmo which makes the vent park position possible.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen this mentioned before but never got it to work. Does the car have to be asleep? Must it have finished charging? My Model 3 UK variant, somehow different?

The trick is that you don't need to actually open a door to wake up the car and unlock it. Pushing the handle a little is enough. Once the car is unlocked, the charge port light (the tesla T logo) will light up and then, no matter what, you should always be able to disconnect the cable by pressing the release button on the connector handle.

But, to be honest, I use this method every morning, so I really only tested it when the charging is already complete and the car is asleep. Maybe if the car is locked but still not asleep or is still charging this procedure won't work and you are forced to open a door completely or to use the app.

...should always be able to disconnect the cable by pressing the release button on the connector handle.
Ahh - now I get it. I'm using a 3rd party type 2 charger, doesn't have the proprietary button release that is on the Tesla charger handle. More common over here to use non-Tesla chargers, much cheaper to install at home and more of them available generally. We have the benefit of the CCS connection on Model 3 in Europe so can use other rapid chargers as well as the Tesla Superchargers but always means you must unlock the charge port before you can release the cable. So... please can Tesla improve the app! ;)

Ahh - now I get it. I'm using a 3rd party type 2 charger, doesn't have the proprietary button release that is on the Tesla charger handle. More common over here to use non-Tesla chargers, much cheaper to install at home and more of them available generally. We have the benefit of the CCS connection on Model 3 in Europe so can use other rapid chargers as well as the Tesla Superchargers but always means you must unlock the charge port before you can release the cable. So... please can Tesla improve the app! ;)

You are right, that explains it. I'm using the Tesla charger. But I know a couple of third party connector cables that have Tesla-compatible release buttons on the handle. One of them is from a Spanish manufacturer (Polycharger) and is quite popular here.

• Informative
Reactions: mpandrew
Set charge rate/Amps - We have Solar PV and it would be good to lower charge rate easily to fit under the insolation curve if just wanting to top up on solar. This will open this function up in API which would be more useful as this could then be automated.

Maybe not the right thread, but I can't get the app to Stop Charging and the Unlock Charge Port at all if the car is actually charging.

Pressing Stop Charging seems to be accepted, but if you refresh the app screen (or look at the port light) it doesn't actually stop it. So then pressing Open Charge Port fails with a complaint about the car is currently charging (poor UI: options that are available but cause an error when pushed. This is amateur territory, Tesla).

I'm new to the car (2014 MS), but very disappointed in what would appear to be software QA issues.