Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving down the freeway in Oregon the other day (I live in Washington) and it was suddenly very, very hot in the car. Next thing I know the vent opens. I was going 65, so it's pretty loud when the vent suddenly opens up. "What the hell?" I thought. I looked at the temp and it was set to 77! "Aha," I said to myself. A quick call to my son (age 14) confirmed that he was using the app to track me and have a little fun!

I was driving down the freeway in Oregon the other day (I live in Washington) and it was suddenly very, very hot in the car. Next thing I know the vent opens. I was going 65, so it's pretty loud when the vent suddenly opens up. "What the hell?" I thought. I looked at the temp and it was set to 77! "Aha," I said to myself. A quick call to my son (age 14) confirmed that he was using the app to track me and have a little fun!

Heh heh, the little $*#@! :tongue:

There is a disappointment. Things like climate control should not respond to remote control while the vehicle is in motion.

It could come in handy if your display isn't working!

Agreed. And the owner does not have to share his/her password with anyone. That is the best solution. If the driver/owner of the car does not want anyone adjusting settings while the owner/driver is operating the vehicle, do not share the app via the password.

Also, the driver ultimately can turn off the app functionality when operating the car.

I've with Michigan on this one. They current implementation is fine.

Humans being foolish shouldn't be "prevented"; I don't need my car nannified. Next will be "You really shouldn't ever go above the posted speed limit, so we'll just govern that 'for' you."

No request for nannyism here.
Oh, but maybe the 14 year old kid needs a nanny!

After I replaced my first MS, I still had connectivity to my old car and I thought about messing with the new owner by beeping the horn, venting the pano, etc. I didn't do it only because I was afraid I'd cause an accident.

Even thought I'd contacted ownership experience immediately upon selling, it took several months before they removed my app access. Once that was a good thing - the new owner had NOT registered the car with ownership experience and then left it plugged in at a service center. The staff could not figure out whose car it was so they called me (based upon the vin). I was able to open the car and they found the registration with his contact info. Kinda weird.

Last edited: