Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That poll is for the next phone people plan to buy this year, so it's not a very accurate representation of the distribution. I have a Galaxy Nexus and don't plan to upgrade this year, maybe next year, so I couldn't place my vote if I take the poll literally. Apple releases a new generation iPhone every 2 years and this is the year of iPhone 6, so it is likely that most iPhone users are upgrading to it by the end of the year. Android is more spread out because there are always new phones releasing, and at least in my case it seems to be easier to hold onto a phone as custom firmware helps keep older unsupported hardware fresh.

Up here in Canada, the market share seems to be a little more iOS slated. I'm not sure the overall canadian market share, but for an app I wrote for a client has been consistently 80% iOS, 15% android and the rest in bb10. We're working to publish a Win 8 mobile app soon too.

We see about 100k unique weekly users over all the platforms, so it represents a good variety of the mobile usage market.

Wish there was a way to enter a code so that a valet or thief can't just turn off the Mobile Access in the car. I took mine for tint the other day and it SOMEHOW got turned off ... that is annoying!

I agree, and thought it was going to be included in v6 of the firmware. Valet Mode was promised over a year ago. My car was recently at a Tesla approved body shop (getting a minor bumper scrape fixed) and within minutes of leaving the shop, they had turned off remote access. I called them on it and they told me it was "their policy" just as the Tesla Service Centers do to prevent "unexpected surprises". It is so widely known now that it can be easily disabled that any restaurant valet wanting to go for a joy ride would simply switch it off as soon as they get in the car.

I agree, and thought it was going to be included in v6 of the firmware. Valet Mode was promised over a year ago. My car was recently at a Tesla approved body shop (getting a minor bumper scrape fixed) and within minutes of leaving the shop, they had turned off remote access. I called them on it and they told me it was "their policy" just as the Tesla Service Centers do to prevent "unexpected surprises". It is so widely known now that it can be easily disabled that any restaurant valet wanting to go for a joy ride would simply switch it off as soon as they get in the car.
I understand why a repair shop would turn off mobile access. They don't need people opening/closing the sunroof or turning the HVAC on while they are working on the car. For some repairs this is a safety issue too. They also have a legit reason to test drive the car. A valet is different because they only need to park or retrieve the car and get out. Usually without even going very far (if at all) on public roads.

Mknox and hans: Tesla still (on 6.0) not having password protected the Remote Access toggle is probably their current biggest security flaw". Also, do we really think that Tesla HQ still wouldn't know the posistion and all other info on the car? The toggle just switches off Remote Access for the end user, using the API, not the communication link with Tesla's servers.

Mknox and hans: Tesla still (on 6.0) not having password protected the Remote Access toggle is probably their current biggest security flaw". Also, do we really think that Tesla HQ still wouldn't know the posistion and all other info on the car? The toggle just switches off Remote Access for the end user, using the API, not the communication link with Tesla's servers.

Not the biggest security flaw, but I agree that this should be password protected. It should also be overridable by Tesla Service, and I would understand if a repair shop (or tint shop) asked me to disable it when I dropped off my car for any work on or near the sunroof, frunk, truck, charger, or HVAC or with significant road testing.

Not the biggest security flaw, but I agree that this should be password protected. It should also be overridable by Tesla Service, and I would understand if a repair shop (or tint shop) asked me to disable it when I dropped off my car for any work on or near the sunroof, frunk, truck, charger, or HVAC or with significant road testing.
It makes more sense to me that remote tracking and remote control be separated, with a password required to disable tracking. That will make everyone happy, with exception of thieves and joyriders. Tesla Service won't need special access and shops won't need to ask you to disable it, and you can still see where your car is at all times.

It makes more sense to me that remote tracking and remote control be separated, with a password required to disable tracking. That will make everyone happy, with exception of thieves and joyriders. Tesla Service won't need special access and shops won't need to ask you to disable it, and you can still see where your car is at all times.
Remote tracking (Streaming API) and remote control (REST API) are already separate services and servers at the Tesla datacenter. It would be fairly easy to turn on/off access to these functions individually.

I was just about to suggest the same thing.

I just had the android app tell me it had to wake the car while it was being driven... I thought it would always be awake while being driven???
I have had he same with the iPhone app. I think what is happening is a locally generated message in the app while it makes contact with the Tesla servers. It keeps that message on the screen until the servers respond to say that they are in contact with the car.

what you should observe therefore is a much shorter wake time as the car is, as you say, itself awake. You are just waiting for the connections in the chain to be made.