Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question re iPhone Tesla app.

As I type this my car is on a flatbed trailer being towed back to my home in New Mexico from the Denver service center. It used to be that I could not only track in real time where the car was, but it even animated in real time on the map.

Recent versions of the app have changed that. (Or maybe it's recent car firmware updates?) Basically now, you're lucky if you see any map update at all. In fact, what I have noticed is the map is "sticky." For example, this morning starting around 7am, the car was sitting at a strip mall in Glendale, CO, south of Denver. Well, an hour later it was still there. An hour and half later, STILL there.

Then I noticed on the main "home" page of the app, it showed an address of I-25 at Larkspur, CO. And later, Colorado Springs, CO. In other words, car's definitely moving south. But you go to the map view of the app, and the car is still sitting at that strip mall.

I have killed the app process, restarted the app, hoping that would fix it, but no, car still at strip mall.

As of my typing this, the car has entered New Mexico. But the map in the app says, strip mall in Glendale.

Anyone else seen this?

Yes. I think they changed the software so that unless the car is ON, there's something odd about the data stream. The location seems to alternate between where last car was last on, and an occasional transmission of a new location.

the map sticks with the former (often where the car was driven on to the trailer).

Yes. I think they changed the software so that unless the car is ON, there's something odd about the data stream. The location seems to alternate between where last car was last on, and an occasional transmission of a new location.

the map sticks with the former (often where the car was driven on to the trailer).
That wasn't always an issue? I've noticed it every time my car went to service, starting with the first annual in July last year. I understand how it could be useful to see both where it was last parked and where it actually is, but the current behavior is not really acceptable.

Wouldn't that remove the ability to track the car if it were stolen?

My experience: ensure calendar updates enabled within app' ensure app is permitted to run in the background run the app and connect to the car, and then do what you like on the iPhone/iPad as long as the app is not closed (but can be in background).

Calendar will now update - you might need to disconnect from the car or switch to another device and then back to your device for the latest calendar status to be fetched.

I have model X production 15xx. My wife can connect to the car with her iPhone 6S+ just fine using the iOS app. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 running v5.0.

I am using the 2.7.4 153 version of the Android App.

Every time I try to connect I get the message:

My Tesla Could Not Be Reached at This Time.

I have verified the pw and email many times.

Any ideas on how to resolve this other than buying an iPhone?

I have model X production 15xx. My wife can connect to the car with her iPhone 6S+ just fine using the iOS app. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 running v5.0.

I am using the 2.7.4 153 version of the Android App.

Every time I try to connect I get the message:

My Tesla Could Not Be Reached at This Time.

I have verified the pw and email many times.

Any ideas on how to resolve this other than buying an iPhone?

You will definitely be able to connect using an Android phone while your wife connects with an iPhone. That is exactly the setup my wife and I have.

I would try uninstalling the android app from your phone, and using some utility like CCleaner or SD Maid or both to try to wipe out all remnants of the Tesla app. With recent installations we've discovered the app doesn't do a good job of uninstalling itself. One symptom is multiple notifications after reinstallations.

After you are certain that all remnants of the Tesla app have been wiped from your phone, I'd reboot the car's center console and instrument cluster. (Scroll wheel reset for one, and the buttons above them for the other.)

You could then reset your Tesla password, just for good measure.

After that I'd try reinstalling the Tesla app, and hope for the best.

Good luck!

You will definitely be able to connect using an Android phone while your wife connects with an iPhone. That is exactly the setup my wife and I have.

I would try uninstalling the android app from your phone, and using some utility like CCleaner or SD Maid or both to try to wipe out all remnants of the Tesla app. With recent installations we've discovered the app doesn't do a good job of uninstalling itself. One symptom is multiple notifications after reinstallations.

After you are certain that all remnants of the Tesla app have been wiped from your phone, I'd reboot the car's center console and instrument cluster. (Scroll wheel reset for one, and the buttons above them for the other.)

You could then reset your Tesla password, just for good measure.

After that I'd try reinstalling the Tesla app, and hope for the best.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips but I tried everything and still no luck. Tesla support thinks its my companies forced security software but am in reluctant to believe that. I can connect to everything else in the world and I approved everything when the app installed.

Thanks for the tips but I tried everything and still no luck. Tesla support thinks its my companies forced security software but am in reluctant to believe that. I can connect to everything else in the world and I approved everything when the app installed.

So your android phone has some security software on it because it's a company phone? It seems it would be pretty easy to test Tesla's theory. Just find a friend with an Android phone, install the app, and see if you can connect. (Then uninstall the app.)

I bit the bullet and wiped my Android phone to factory. Probably not a bad idea to do this every year and its been over 2 years.

After doing so and doing the basics to get Google account logged in and download the Tesla app I got it to connect.

What a dog. It takes over 2 minutes to connect to the car. And if you go to another app you wait for another 2 or more minutes for it to refresh the screen. Sometimes it can be less than a minute, but not much. No consistency. I would place the app on the 'pretty worthless' category. Perhaps it's my conservative power settings in the car? I do have the Always Connect set but I do have Energy Savings On.

Is this normal? My wife's iPhone 6s+ is pretty close to immediate. Must be some plot by Apple to get me to replace my device.:mad:

What a dog. It takes over 2 minutes to connect to the car. And if you go to another app you wait for another 2 or more minutes for it to refresh the screen. Sometimes it can be less than a minute, but not much. No consistency. I would place the app on the 'pretty worthless' category. Perhaps it's my conservative power settings in the car? I do have the Always Connect set but I do have Energy Savings On.

Is this normal? My wife's iPhone 6s+ is pretty close to immediate. Must be some plot by Apple to get me to replace my device.:mad:

Definitely not normal.

There are some odd quirks with the android app, though. I've found that if the connection isn't made quickly, and it's not at a time when the car could have been asleep, you should just abort and try again. But typically I establish a connection within a few seconds.

Keep experimenting with it!

Well it turns out to be moot anyway. Once I loaded my corporate stuff back on again it's completely blocked.

I told Tesla support I would work with them to get this resolved if they want to. Waiting to hear back from them.

And if that is fixed, it's not usable for me on Lollipop. I would be interested to hear if any of you are on Lollipop and have good results. (Android 5.x)