Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I unfortunately have a similar issue with generally the "charging complete" message not always appearing when I use anything other than a Supercharger (which did show both msgs in my last 4 charges earlier this week)... Like you, I run only the latest version of generally-available iOS and Tesla App, and I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Tesla App, as well as turning off each of the notification settings and turning them back on with even manually terminating the app in-between changes. Despite ensuring the Tesla App is always running in the background, I still have the inconsistent problem sometimes receiving only one or the other charging message when charging at home -- e.g. my MS is plugged-in and automatic charging to top-it-off began a little while ago at midnight, but I only received the completion notice despite having the setting for both. I can't attest to exactly when the problem for me began, but it's within the past few weeks -- before that notices worked very consistently.

@BertL thanks for the reply, at least I know I'm not just imagining this....
just a further annoyance with this problem - I said only my charge-start notifications were occasionally missed. Well after I posted my earlier message last night, my scheduled charge overnight at home missed both the charge start AND the charge complete notification. It's the first time ever I've noticed not getting a charge-complete notification...

btw further complicating the symptoms... I first started noticing this problem of missing notifications a few weeks ago when ONLY charging sessions at public L2 stations sometimes didn't get the charge-start notification. Meanwhile charges at home got all notifications as expected. Then 2 days ago I stopped getting at home charge-start notifications too. And then last night for first time, no charge-complete notification. Very strange.

@f-stop, I received a new version of the Tesla iOS App (3.3.4) overnight and just applied it. App update notes are only the standard "miscellaneous fixes" comment, so I'm unsure if it will help our sporadic missing charge notifications, but it's worth a try when you get a chance. I suspect my MS should top-off tonight, so I'll post back if I get both charging messages as I should.

@BertL thanks for the heads up. In another attempt to get things working again, last night I deleted and reinstalled the app from the App Store. I just noticed v3.3.4 was installed. So we’ll see if the “misc fixes” restore the notifications next charge cycle. Will be good to hear your result for comparison, thx.

@BertL thanks for the heads up. In another attempt to get things working again, last night I deleted and reinstalled the app from the App Store. I just noticed v3.3.4 was installed. So we’ll see if the “misc fixes” restore the notifications next charge cycle. Will be good to hear your result for comparison, thx.

We’ve noticed issues with notifications getting lost or delayed in the past, independent of software updates, that just seem to come and go at random. There are a lot of moving pieces involved in making notifications work right. So an app update or reinstall may or may not have an effect.

Bruce.

We’ve noticed issues with notifications getting lost or delayed in the past, independent of software updates, that just seem to come and go at random. There are a lot of moving pieces involved in making notifications work right. So an app update or reinstall may or may not have an effect.

Bruce.
thanks Bruce. I guess I shouldn't be surprised there's possibly some random behaviour going on here. It's just that app notifications for me are one of the things that's acted rock-solid consistently for 2+ years (compared to random flakey behaviour of things like the audio player, or auto-homelink...). I've never seemed to miss a single app notification until a few weeks ago, it has always just worked. Will keep my fingers crossed things start working consistently again.

Reactions: BertL
I am requesting some help with the calendar function with the Android app. This is on a Samsung S6+ with Android 7.0.
The calendar function does not work most of the time. It used to work with 6.0 on my phone. A Blackberry with 6.0 works fine.
The symptom is as follows. I get in the car and nothing pops up. Calendar is turned on in the Tesla app and all permissions are correct as far as I know. When I open the calendar app, it says get the Tesla mobile app. If I turn off the calendar sync, the display says enable the calendar function. When I do that the calendar pops up on the screen every time. This has been my work around to at least get the calendar to display. About once in 25 or so entries in the car, the calendar will pop up. Sometimes this happens on a second quick entry to the car. I have the car set to display the calendar always.
I've submitted this to executive escalation and the silence is deafening.
I would appreciate some feedback to see if others with Android 7.0 are having this problem and if anyone has found a fix.
Thanks in advance.

@f-stop, I received a new version of the Tesla iOS App (3.3.4) overnight and just applied it. App update notes are only the standard "miscellaneous fixes" comment, so I'm unsure if it will help our sporadic missing charge notifications, but it's worth a try when you get a chance. I suspect my MS should top-off tonight, so I'll post back if I get both charging messages as I should.
FYI that last night's home "top off charge" resulted in BOTH charging notifications being received. That's the first time I've had success with both in a number of weeks -- now running App V3.3.4 and MS Firmware 2018.6.1.

FYI that last night's home "top off charge" resulted in BOTH charging notifications being received. That's the first time I've had success with both in a number of weeks -- now running App V3.3.4 and MS Firmware 2018.6.1.
thanks for your update. I am running same versions of the app and firmware in the car. Unfortunately my problem still exists - my last 3 charging cycles in past couple days (2 overnight scheduled charges at home, and one manually started/stopped at a public L2 station) all got the correct charge-start notifications, but none got a charge-end notification. Well, at least it seems to be failing in a more consistent way, for now :confused:.
As I mentioned earlier, 2+ years of never a missed notification, then in past few weeks some charge-start notifications only missing, then a mix of start & end missing, and now just all charge-end notifications gone.

if it's not just random bad luck, I've been wondering if something has changed to do with how energy saving settings behave... e.g. in my car I have Energy Saving = ON and Always Connected = OFF - although those settings are exactly same as long ago when the notifications were working perfectly. Just wondering if maybe something changed in the last firmware update that prevents the car waking up correctly to cause the charge notifications?? although I would think the car is "awake" when charging occurs and therefore when it ends... (just grasping at straws here)

thanks for your update. I am running same versions of the app and firmware in the car. Unfortunately my problem still exists - my last 3 charging cycles in past couple days (2 overnight scheduled charges at home, and one manually started/stopped at a public L2 station) all got the correct charge-start notifications, but none got a charge-end notification. Well, at least it seems to be failing in a more consistent way, for now :confused:.
As I mentioned earlier, 2+ years of never a missed notification, then in past few weeks some charge-start notifications only missing, then a mix of start & end missing, and now just all charge-end notifications gone.

if it's not just random bad luck, I've been wondering if something has changed to do with how energy saving settings behave... e.g. in my car I have Energy Saving = ON and Always Connected = OFF - although those settings are exactly same as long ago when the notifications were working perfectly. Just wondering if maybe something changed in the last firmware update that prevents the car waking up correctly to cause the charge notifications?? although I would think the car is "awake" when charging occurs and therefore when it ends... (just grasping at straws here)
Ahhh... I have Energy Saving = OFF (and always connected = on) because it seemed to help reduce some of my unexpected MP USB rescan-upon-entry issues, even though I supposedly loose some of the benefits having my dual-motor MS because I keep energy saving off. Sadly, my SC even told me to keep it set to OFF to reduce some of the spurious CID reboots and errors I have reported over time. (I originally kept energy saving ON since delivery in 2015, until some point earlier last year when I made the switch...)

Last edited:
Ahhh... I have Energy Saving = OFF (and always connected = on) because it seemed to help reduce some of my unexpected MP USB rescan-upon-entry issues, even though I supposedly loose some of the benefits having my dual-motor MS because I keep energy saving off. Sadly, my SC even told me to keep it set to OFF to reduce some of the spurious CID reboots and errors I have reported over time. (I originally kept energy saving ON since delivery in 2015, until some point earlier last year when I made the switch...)
Interesting... thanks for confirming your settings

So I decided to experiment with the settings, yesterday I set Always Connected = ON (left Energy Savings still On). I know from experience that will slightly increase vampire drain, that’s why I turned it off last year though at that time it never had any negative effect on receiving notifications.

With Always Connected ON, last night’s scheduled charge at home got both the charge start and charge end notifications. That’s the first time in a few weeks both have worked correctly on a single charge session. Coincidence?

I guess I’ll leave that setting ON for a couple days and see how it goes, then turn it Off again and see if that breaks things again. If so, then to me that suggests perhaps something changed in how the car sleeps with 2018.6.1 as this problem started for me around that update.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and BertL
Hi, still trying to figure out if it's a phone or car problem. No help from Tesla. Anyone out there with stock 7.0 have it not work? Preferably on a Samsing?

I am requesting some help with the calendar function with the Android app. This is on a Samsung S6+ with Android 7.0.
The calendar function does not work most of the time. It used to work with 6.0 on my phone. A Blackberry with 6.0 works fine.
The symptom is as follows. I get in the car and nothing pops up. Calendar is turned on in the Tesla app and all permissions are correct as far as I know. When I open the calendar app, it says get the Tesla mobile app. If I turn off the calendar sync, the display says enable the calendar function. When I do that the calendar pops up on the screen every time. This has been my work around to at least get the calendar to display. About once in 25 or so entries in the car, the calendar will pop up. Sometimes this happens on a second quick entry to the car. I have the car set to display the calendar always.
I've submitted this to executive escalation and the silence is deafening.
I would appreciate some feedback to see if others with Android 7.0 are having this problem and if anyone has found a fix.
Thanks in advance.

If anyone is interested, Tesla finally figured what was going on with the calendar not showing up in the car.
The problem is the BT phone name length. Mine was two words with a total length of 17 characters with one space and one apostrophe.
After I changed the name to 7 letters it worked. You do have to exit the car before the name change takes.

I have been noticing the connection from the phone app and Visible Tesla (on my computer) has been dropping periodically over the last few weeks. It seems to take the app a long time to connect to the car as well when you open it up on the iPhone. This never used to be the case. Today, as has been written, the app was down completely and I was on a road trip. I called Tesla, not knowing this, because I was supercharging and eating lunch. The charger was crowded so I wanted to know when it was done so I could be courteous. Tesla told me the network was down and they told me that I would still incur idling fees. That is not right. Today was my worst experience with their customer service with this.

Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
Yes, my app stopped connecting to our 2016 Model S at 10:23 am EST. Initially it said check internet connection. Now it just says down for system maintenance. Hoping it will be up in the next few days. None of the functions work (unlock, lock, trunk...etc.)