Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the mobile app is finally about to get updated!!

First look with pictures at Tesla’s new mobile app with new UI, touch ID, and widgets

tesla-app-new-6.png

tesla-app-new-7.png

tesla-app-new-4.png

tesla-app-new-2.png

tesla-app-new-1.png

Last edited:
Yep, I have the new version for iOS now and am using it with my pre-Autopilot car. First impressions time!

Pros
+Looks nice and modern
+Adds Touch ID for starting the car (not on by default)
+Displays odometer
+Shows interior temperature on main view
+Designed for various iPhone sizes. Until now it scaled the iPhone 5 sized app larger on larger phones and looked weird
+Widget looks useful if I remember it exists. Shows charge % and has three buttons for climate control, starting, and unlocking

Cons
-Adds very, very little functionality
-Still can't adjust charge schedule. I mention this because every thorough review of the app I've ever read says people want this.

Last edited:
Reactions: David29
I'm really quite disappointed. As far as I can tell it's just a new paint job. There so much opportunity with this car to provide interesting, useful information and functionality.

I'm sure they will add functionality, probably with 8.1. Just look at the screen for climate control, very similar to the in car screen for control of seat, stearing wheel, etc. heaters.

We'll get there, I'm quite confident when looking at screen layout, why otherwise the big screen with one button and one temperature control? Wouldn't make sense:

IMG_2500.PNG

I'm sure they will add functionality, probably with 8.1. Just look at the screen for climate control, very similar to the in car screen for control of seat, stearing wheel, etc. heaters.

We'll get there, I'm quite confident when looking at screen layout, why otherwise the big screen with one button and one temperature control? Wouldn't make sense:

View attachment 214262

Agreed! I'm really looking forward to having remote heated seat controls.
I'm the sure the API currently supports this, but no reason Tesla can't upgrade it on a whim.

By the way, nice rear next-gen seats and color combo ;)

By the way, nice rear next-gen seats and color combo ;)
Seats aren't displayed properly. I have the grey seats and it looks just like the picture a few posts back with it being black. So unless you want to argue that the panoramic roof is making the seats appear that color that doesn't jive either since you can see the front windshield with part of the seat in it's view.

Reactions: SG57
Agree with others who say they are disappointed. It is indeed more responsive (Android version, at least) and that does remove some of the frustration of using the app. But -- it is otherwise just window dressing. I was, perhaps naively, hoping for and expecting some functionality additions, such as more HVAC controls and window/sunroof controls. Someone posted on the Tesla Facebook group that they had contacted Tesla and been told that no such changes were in the works but they would consider the owner's input, or words to that effect.
So I now put this app into the same category as the audio controls -- halfway jobs without sufficient resources applied. Discouraging!
Still, the app is useful as it is and the new version is "prettier" and faster.

Someone posted on the Tesla Facebook group that they had contacted Tesla and been told that no such changes were in the works but they would consider the owner's input, or words to that effect.

Just to maintain a bit of optimism, whomever it was at Tesla that the Facebook poster contacted would not be likely to know of any coming features. That's just not how Tesla works. So I wouldn't put any stock whatsoever in the "information" obtained from that conversation.

Just to maintain a bit of optimism, whomever it was at Tesla that the Facebook poster contacted would not be likely to know of any coming features. That's just not how Tesla works. So I wouldn't put any stock whatsoever in the "information" obtained from that conversation.
I agree. First level tech support doesn't usually know what's planned in the future. They just need to answer questions about what has been released. I'm sure this version of the app was to prepare for future enhancements and features which are coming.