Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Apple is removing third-party Tesla apps from the App Store.

Previously, Apple started rejecting third-party apps that used the "Tesla" in the name of the app or its meta-data. Now, they are taking it a step further by requiring "apps that interact with an automobile to be submitted by the automobile manufacturer" and not by a third-party.
Apple cites section 1.2 of the App Review Guideline related to this rejection.

This seems very strange to me.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Looks like Apple is removing third-party Tesla apps from the App Store.

Previously, Apple started rejecting third-party apps that used the "Tesla" in the name of the app or its meta-data. Now, they are taking it a step further by requiring "apps that interact with an automobile to be submitted by the automobile manufacturer" and not by a third-party.
Apple cites section 1.2 of the App Review Guideline related to this rejection.

This seems very strange to me.
Is that true? I do still see Remote S & some others in the App Store, but ConnecTT (which was free when I got it, and $5 later) now appears to be removed... :(

FWIW, I gathered from the now-closed Remote S thread, there was an issue with Apple Store app naming... apps that inferred or included the name of the mfgr were an issue with Apple (or maybe some mfgrs that caused Apple to change policy). E.g. "Remote S" as the app name didn't have an issue because it wasn't "Tesla Remote" or some such variant. IDK, but the last couple of posts made me remember this discussion with the Remote S author back in the day...

FWIW, I gathered from the now-closed Remote S thread, there was an issue with Apple Store app naming... apps that inferred or included the name of the mfgr were an issue with Apple (or maybe some mfgrs that caused Apple to change policy). E.g. "Remote S" as the app name didn't have an issue because it wasn't "Tesla Remote" or some such variant. IDK, but the last couple of posts made me remember this discussion with the Remote S author back in the day...
Yes, first it was the name issue (the name cannot have Tesla in it) and not the app cannot do anything that affects the car (not even turning on climate) unless the app is from the manufacturer if the car. New rule apparently.

They are removing them gradually.

Is it possible to configure which garage door the Homelink icon will open when on the Summon screen in the app? I have three garage doors and usually park in garage #3 (but sometimes park in 1 or 2). When I use the Summon screen and push the icon to open the garage door, it always opens garage #1 even though I have garage #3 set to open/close automatically when I drive in or out of the garage. I could use the Liftmaster or Wink software to open the correct garage door but it would be nice if I could indicate the correct garage directly in the Tesla app. I know I could set it to automatically open or close the garage door but I don't want to enable that feature at this time.

Any ideas?

Anybody else having App connection issues today (Jun 26, 2017)? I wasn't able to connect to my car all day via the App or VisibleTesla. Connection was rock-solid right after the UI refresh on the App a few weeks ago but updating the car to FW8.0 basically broke anything data-related (phone app, streaming radio, etc). Anyway, the point is I'm not surprised by my inability to connect, but I was also hopeful that it might not be on my end.

Update car to latest firmware last night and it seemed to fix the app (was able to connect to the car super-fast a couple times). Now, a few hours later, it's right back to refusing to connect. I think it might be related to the car entering 'sleep mode'. I have energy saving set to OFF, but it seems to do it anyway and almost everything (app, door-handles-on-approach, etc) quit working.

Update car to latest firmware last night and it seemed to fix the app (was able to connect to the car super-fast a couple times). Now, a few hours later, it's right back to refusing to connect. I think it might be related to the car entering 'sleep mode'. I have energy saving set to OFF, but it seems to do it anyway and almost everything (app, door-handles-on-approach, etc) quit working.
I'm having no app or connectivity issues since the update -- nothing changed.

Do you have Energy Savings "Always Connected" checked in your MS settings?
If not, as it always has, when you use the app you will not receive a response until the MS occasionally goes out to the mothership which could take several minutes depending on the state of the vehicle -- its the luck of the draw if you have been getting quick response from your app every time in the past. Keeping Always Connected checked has been my preference since day 1 of ownership. Different people then turn Energy Savings on or off depending on their POV and need. (I did some multi-day tests of the true energy costs of each of the combinations of those options on my S90D over a year ago and posted somewhere around here if someone wants detail. Net is "Always Connected" does not cost you much for the additional convenience.)​

I'm having no app or connectivity issues since the update -- nothing changed.

Do you have Energy Savings "Always Connected" checked in your MS settings?
If not, as it always has, when you use the app you will not receive a response until the MS occasionally goes out to the mothership which could take several minutes depending on the state of the vehicle -- its the luck of the draw if you have been getting quick response from your app every time in the past. Keeping Always Connected checked has been my preference since day 1 of ownership. Different people then turn Energy Savings on or off depending on their POV and need. (I did some multi-day tests of the true energy costs of each of the combinations of those options on my S90D over a year ago and posted somewhere around here if someone wants detail. Net is "Always Connected" does not cost you much for the additional convenience.)​
That's true however there are apps like TeslaFi that can put your car to sleep if you turn off "Always Connected". The benefit is less vampire loss but the cost is slower app connection.

I replaced a cell phone with another of the same model, and am finding the new version of Tesla's cell app is incompatible with Android versions prior to 4.4 "Kit kat". The old phone had the older app, which was running fine. I'm sending up a flag to see if anyone knows the means to re-installing an older version of Tesla's app to a compatible phone, that still uses Jelly Bean Android OS? Google Play only provides the new one (as far as I can tell)

As it is, for improvements I'm unaware of (?), I now have no access to the cars with 2013 cell phone hardware. The phones are HTC, which I'm finding pulled a stunt not to enable upgrade to 4.4 Android, just over a year after introduction. Feeling screwed, by tech. Any help appreciated.

I replaced a cell phone with another of the same model, and am finding the new version of Tesla's cell app is incompatible with Android versions prior to 4.4 "Kit kat". The old phone had the older app, which was running fine. I'm sending up a flag to see if anyone knows the means to re-installing an older version of Tesla's app to a compatible phone, that still uses Jelly Bean Android OS? Google Play only provides the new one (as far as I can tell)

As it is, for improvements I'm unaware of (?), I now have no access to the cars with 2013 cell phone hardware. The phones are HTC, which I'm finding pulled a stunt not to enable upgrade to 4.4 Android, just over a year after introduction. Feeling screwed, by tech. Any help appreciated.

You can try downloading an APK archived here, hopefully one of these versions will work
Tesla Motors APKs - APKMirror

Edit: It looks like this site has archived even older versions, even for devices 4.0+:
https://apkpure.com/tesla-motors/com.teslamotors.tesla

Thanks DJung, for making me more savvy. I probably download ~6 new apps per year, and this was a first for end-running Google Play store's app limits. To recap, possibly for others, download APKpure from Play Store. At some point, you may need to change security settings to allow "unverified" apps. Once done, you can use the APKpure app like the Google store, search for 'Tesla' and find that within the most recent app's description is a scroll down which allows selecting downloads from the history of Tesla's app (DJung's second link). There, is where I found 2.7.11, which is the last of the 4.0 Android iterations. Clicked 'download', and good to go.

I have to remember to reset my phone to 'only verified apps', now that it's on board.

Reactions: DDotJ

AFAIK Googlw Play holds compatible versions of app based on your phone's version. So it may be the case that Android 4 is not supported anymore by Tesla. My company has two apps for Android and one is compatible with Android 4.4 but the other one is Android 5+ only. Try downloading archived apk instead (though they may not work because they're not supported for a reason).

For those of you will multiple Tesla's on a single account. When you login, does the app go directly to the last vehicle you controlled, or do you have to select from a list. I'd like access to another car (my mothers), but I don't want her accidentally controlling mine unknowingly. On her phone, if the app goes directly to "her" car I don't see a problem with it, otherwise I guess I'll have to create another account.
Thanks,

For those of you will multiple Tesla's on a single account. When you login, does the app go directly to the last vehicle you controlled, or do you have to select from a list. I'd like access to another car (my mothers), but I don't want her accidentally controlling mine unknowingly. On her phone, if the app goes directly to "her" car I don't see a problem with it, otherwise I guess I'll have to create another account.
Thanks,
What no answer? Maybe if I say " Model 3" I'll get more interest.

Thanks,

It defaults to the last vehicle that was controlled. You can switch vehicles from the settings icon on the top left.