Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I very seldom use the "unlock" feature on the iPhone app. I had occasion to use it today though and was disconcerted that it just... didn't. The app did all the UI things to show the car had unlocked but it stubbornly refused to open.

I tried a few other things and they worked, e.g. the horn honked.

Fortunately I was just being lazy, after trying a few times I gave up and got my key. But I'm dismayed. If this had been an emergency I'd've been screwed.

What gives?

@jgs , curious which platform you had the issue on - Android or iOS? A big issue with the official Tesla app I see is the lack of transparency when it comes to communication. The fire-and-forget strategy is terrible for stateful systems you actually care about. For all you know the UI on your device showed it had sent an unlock command but that actual command never reached the vehicle due to your vehicle failing to wake up, or Tesla's servers encountering an error, or a timeout, or any other factor.

Shameless plug but if you're on Android, I recommend checking out my native app, Dashboard for Tesla, as a drop-in replacement and improvement over the official app. It doesn't have this communication transparency problem to start, plus it has a ton of other features that we will likely never see in the official app due to their cross platform limitations - home-screen widgets, Wear support, smart charging, automatic behaviors, plug-in reminder, speed clocking, etc.

Disclaimer: I am the developer.

Dashboard for Tesla - Official Page

Regardless, in your case here I have a cross-platform solution coming out soon that would have given you another means to unlock your vehicle had the official app continued to not work for you.

Reactions: hiroshiy
@jgs , curious which platform you had the issue on - Android or iOS? A big issue with the official Tesla app I see is the lack of transparency when it comes to communication. The fire-and-forget strategy is terrible for stateful systems you actually care about. For all you know the UI on your device showed it had sent an unlock command but that actual command never reached the vehicle due to your vehicle failing to wake up, or Tesla's servers encountering an error, or a timeout, or any other factor.

Shameless plug but if you're on Android, I recommend checking out my native app, Dashboard for Tesla, as a drop-in replacement and improvement over the official app. It doesn't have this communication transparency problem to start, plus it has a ton of other features that we will likely never see in the official app due to their cross platform limitations - home-screen widgets, Wear support, smart charging, automatic behaviors, plug-in reminder, speed clocking, etc.

Disclaimer: I am the developer.

Dashboard for Tesla - Official Page

Regardless, in your case here I have a cross-platform solution coming out soon that would have given you another means to unlock your vehicle had the official app continued to not work for you.
Re the iOS version of your app, how soon?

Reactions: SG57
@msnow , unfortunately plans to expand to iOS have been suspended due to Apple policies that ban 3rd party Tesla apps. There is technically a work-around for this policy, but it will take some time to fully implement on my end so plan for Q4. You can read up more on how this policy is affecting iOS developers here:

Apple policy shutting down 3rd parties

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and msnow
I'd like to see a feature in the phone app that allows me to change the driver profile. My wife is shorter than me, and it's very hard to get in when the seat is in her position and then touch the screen to change to my seat position. Would be great if I could do it from the app before getting in.

I know this has been a while but I did come across an idea of setting the seats back and the steering wheel up out of the way. then create a profile called exit. Select that profile on the way out.

Just got my MS 75D yesterday and was able to use the Tesla App on iOS for the first time last night. I enabled Touch ID for extra security. I noticed that if I try to turn the car on I have to use Touch ID before it will work. However, if I try to unlock the car it does so without requiring Touch ID. This is a huge security issue!! Seems like the entire app needs to require Touch ID before the app even opens much like banking apps do. Or, they need to require Touch ID on the more sensitive functions.

Just got my MS 75D yesterday and was able to use the Tesla App on iOS for the first time last night. I enabled Touch ID for extra security. I noticed that if I try to turn the car on I have to use Touch ID before it will work. However, if I try to unlock the car it does so without requiring Touch ID. This is a huge security issue!! Seems like the entire app needs to require Touch ID before the app even opens much like banking apps do. Or, they need to require Touch ID on the more sensitive functions.
How are they going to unlock your car unless you lost your phone and didn't have your phone locked or you shared your password? Don't forget your connection to your car via Tesla's servers is also password protected.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
How are they going to unlock your car unless you lost your phone and didn't have your phone locked or you shared your password? Don't forget your connection to your car via Tesla's servers is also password protected.
Agreed. It doesn't seem like a "huge security issue", it seems like a minor feature request. @sevenout, would it be right to assume that you DO lock your phone when not in use?

Now, not having the car unlock when I request it to unlock (my earlier post in this thread), that does seem to me like at least a middling issue. Hopefully the latest firmware update will have made the problem go away; I'll check when I'm home from my current trip.

I have the dreaded calendar issue again where it just won't update...Anyone experiencing this? I've messed with the settings in my phone and the Tesla app to ensure that it's enabled. I also reset the screen and tried forgetting the phone under BT, but nothing seems to work.

I have it too, as do many other people. There is another thread just on this problem. Search on "calendar sync" It's so frustrating to have to constantly deal with the crappy software from Tesla.

When this problem cropped up, I found that if you open the Tesla app, the calendar would connect. Now it only connects if you open the app, turn off the calendar, and turn it back on. Someone on the other thread suggested uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it. That did not work.

I have it too, as do many other people. There is another thread just on this problem. Search on "calendar sync" It's so frustrating to have to constantly deal with the crappy software from Tesla.

When this problem cropped up, I found that if you open the Tesla app, the calendar would connect. Now it only connects if you open the app, turn off the calendar, and turn it back on. Someone on the other thread suggested uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it. That did not work.
I just tried this and it works for me now, but I have to have the app open in order for it to recognize the calendar. Annoying, but all good, I don't use it that much either way.

It would be useful if posters would indicate if they are using Android or iOS with their Tesla and calendar apps, so we can try to keep the discussion straight and see if there may be a pattern to what's failing and not.

I suspect as we've seen at least once or twice in the past couple years, there may be varied experiences between the two environments, and perhaps with Android what version and if it's jail-broken or not. E.g. I use iOS on my iPhone7, and have not had problems with my calendar syncing to my Tesla for months -- through many releases of both sets of firmware. The only time I've had a failure is when I have for one reason or another stopped the Tesla app from running in the background, and sometimes after a new firmware update, when worst case, I kill the Tesla app, restart it, and all is well again -- it's why it just stumps me why Tesla still cites this as Beta code, unless they truly have lost sight of that indication as they've moved on to more interesting things. ;)

You are right, I should have included the platform. I'm on an Android phone. Samsung S6+ Edge.

I just tried entering the car with the app open. Still does not work for me. The car knows the phone is there because it says to turn on the calendar sync function if it is turned off.

This same problem cropped up a couple of years ago then was finally fixed.

It would be useful if posters would indicate if they are using Android or iOS with their Tesla and calendar apps, so we can try to keep the discussion straight and see if there may be a pattern to what's failing and not.

I suspect as we've seen at least once or twice in the past couple years, there may be varied experiences between the two environments, and perhaps with Android what version and if it's jail-broken or not. E.g. I use iOS on my iPhone7, and have not had problems with my calendar syncing to my Tesla for months -- through many releases of both sets of firmware. The only time I've had a failure is when I have for one reason or another stopped the Tesla app from running in the background, and sometimes after a new firmware update, when worst case, I kill the Tesla app, restart it, and all is well again -- it's why it just stumps me why Tesla still cites this as Beta code, unless they truly have lost sight of that indication as they've moved on to more interesting things. ;)

For the last couple of days, I've been getting very delayed notifications from the phone app about charge events.

After plugging in my car, I used to get a notification almost instantly. But now it takes many hours (7 or 8 hours) between the time I plug in and the time I get the notification of the same.

Anyone else experiencing this? Oh I'm on iOS 10.3.3 with Tesla app 3.1.4, and the app works just fine otherwise (connects very quickly, is responsive, etc.)

For the last couple of days, I've been getting very delayed notifications from the phone app about charge events.

After plugging in my car, I used to get a notification almost instantly. But now it takes many hours (7 or 8 hours) between the time I plug in and the time I get the notification of the same.

Anyone else experiencing this? Oh I'm on iOS 10.3.3 with Tesla app 3.1.4, and the app works just fine otherwise (connects very quickly, is responsive, etc.)

My latest charging complete notification came about 3.5 hours late, as did the charging started notification. That was 2 nights ago.

Not sure what it could be.