Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since using the iphone app when the car left alone for a few hours, the app can not connect to the car. The iphone app say may take a few minutes but nothing will happen.
I think there might be a connectivity issue when the car goes to sleep mode. It say " A connection to the vehicle could not be made"
I am using version 4.1 I did not upgrade to version 4.2 as I was afraid may introduce new bugs to my working car right now.

I'd update to 4.2. It seems to have fixed a lot of bugs. The problem is the car going to sleep as you said. If you don't want to update you can turn the sleep feature off and it will work more quickly.

There was a post on the TM forum about someone who observed that the climate control settings he set prior to getting into the car remained that way even when he drove and exited the car, instead of shutting off. Can anyone confirm this behavior? How does the app know when you are done preconditioning? Shouldn't the app stop controlling the cabin temperature once you enter the vehicle?

Thanks.

There was a post on the TM forum about someone who observed that the climate control settings he set prior to getting into the car remained that way even when he drove and exited the car, instead of shutting off. Can anyone confirm this behavior? How does the app know when you are done preconditioning? Shouldn't the app stop controlling the cabin temperature once you enter the vehicle?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I experienced this last night. I pre-warmed the car when leaving work and parked in my garage.
I was charging all night and when I woke up the car was warm. (It was <25F this morning, slightly warmer in my garage).

Thanks.

If you don't go to the car within a certain time frame, the climate control shuts off automatically after about 30 minutes or so (I haven't timed it, but I think that feels right based on my experience).

I don't know if there's a bug with pre-heating, getting in and driving, and the climate control not shutting off... Or perhaps if you leave the app running while you drive the car - does it leave it on, etc.

But I have observed the CC will shut off after a certain period of time.

Since using the iphone app when the car left alone for a few hours, the app can not connect to the car. The iphone app say may take a few minutes but nothing will happen.
I think there might be a connectivity issue when the car goes to sleep mode. It say " A connection to the vehicle could not be made"
I am using version 4.1 I did not upgrade to version 4.2 as I was afraid may introduce new bugs to my working car right now.

I am also having the issue with both the Android and iOS apps not connected anymore. I have been traveling all week and the car is parked at the airport, so I know it hasn't been touched (at least on the display :) ).

I had 4.1 installed when I left with sleep mode turned off. I wonder if 4.2 installed while I was gone?

Frustrating, as I was hoping to use the app to top off my charge before I get back into town.

Aaron

I bought 3 Model S's from Tesla (long story). I wonder what happens when you have 4...

View attachment 15853

And I though *I* had an understanding wife!

- - - Updated - - -

I am also having the issue with both the Android and iOS apps not connected anymore. I have been traveling all week and the car is parked at the airport, so I know it hasn't been touched (at least on the display :) ).

I had 4.1 installed when I left with sleep mode turned off. I wonder if 4.2 installed while I was gone?

Frustrating, as I was hoping to use the app to top off my charge before I get back into town.

Aaron

If you have the climate "range mode" enabled under 4.1, I believe the car will still go to sleep, even if the sleep setting is disabled.

And I though *I* had an understanding wife!

- - - Updated - - -

If you have the climate "range mode" enabled under 4.1, I believe the car will still go to sleep, even if the sleep setting is disabled.

I don't have that on, as I have been checking in on the car all week with the app since I left town on Sunday. This is the first time is hasn't connected. Worried about my baby :)

I do not think the car will update automatically without your intervention. When an update is available it tells you and you have to schedule the actual time you want to update.

Called Support and they were able to tell me the car went into sleep mode about 4 hrs ago and 4.2 never made it to the car ("It got stuck"). Tech thought this was a bug in 4.1 that caused it to sleep even though it wasn't supposed to.

Guess I will be app-less until I get back to her on Friday morning. Damn I am spoiled by this car!

Your intervention, or Tesla's - the engineers at Fremont can force it to update remotely.

There's a caveat to this, I think - they *can* do it but it's more manual and they don't want to. Even when I had a software update pushed to my car (for example, the 4.1 fix that restored my ability to charge), I had to hit the button.

There's a caveat to this, I think - they *can* do it but it's more manual and they don't want to.

Right, I believe they only do this at the request of a Ranger.

- - - Updated - - -

Another usefull feature for those of us in cold climates would be the ability to turn on the Front & Rear defroster

Rear would be handy. Front doesn't seem to be necessary; if you start it warming early enough the whole car is so toasty even the sunroof has melted out. For some reason the back window doesn't melt out, though.

I just got the app and connected it to my car, which has firmware 4.2 (42). At first the various app displays were grey and locked out, even though the Remote App setting on the car dashboard was ON; I had to log out of my Tesla account on the app and log back in, in order to fix this. Then the interior temperature reading in the app showed 76 °F, though the car had been sitting outside for an hour in 55° temperatures, and was obviously much cooler. And finally the Location feature showed my car in the right location, but the directional arrow was pointed in the opposite direction as the car! I wonder if it's because I backed into the parking space? If so, I would think it should revert to the forward arrow when the car is in Park?

The ability to capture a screenshot from the car's backup camera would be a great addition to the app. (Video is probably not realistic over 3g, but might be when they eventually enable 4g? Tesla's cellular carrier might not like it though.)

Is there a way to switch between satellite view and map view within the app? It seemed stuck on satellite view when I tried it. And also no ability to zoom in or out.

All in all, a very promising start! Personally, I can't wait for the drive-by-wireless demo ;-)

And finally the Location feature showed my car in the right location, but the directional arrow was pointed in the opposite direction as the car! I wonder if it's because I backed into the parking space?

Most likely the direction (heading) comes from the GPS and is based on motion of the vehicle. That is how it is in the Roadster and other similar in-car GPS units I have seen the output from. It is often inaccurate when parking.