Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious when others have had access to the mobile app. My car is "in production"' but it won't let me get past entering my email/password saying that my vehicle may not be ready. I've heard from some that they have access while the car is being built, but Tesla is telling me that I won't be able to login until delivery.

I'm curious when others have had access to the mobile app. My car is "in production"' but it won't let me get past entering my email/password saying that my vehicle may not be ready. I've heard from some that they have access while the car is being built, but Tesla is telling me that I won't be able to login until delivery.

Because access must be granted FROM the car ...

I didn't get access until I took delivery and turned on access in the settings.

Where I was this past weekend (York Beach, Maine) after 9am the cell phone towers were so overwhelmed it was impossible to communicate with my car or make a phone call etc.
Completely overwhelmed...I thought they had spotty service but when everyone is still asleep it worked like a charm.

I've been noticing significant lags in my android app. While some of it may be due to tesla servers, I also think it isn't smart about the connection. I've noticed it hangs onto what ever connection it started with (phone or wifi) even if it is down zero bars. If I kill the app off and restart it, it seems to pick the better connection and I'm back up. I hate using task killer but in this case, it seems to be called for.

I've been noticing significant lags in my android app. While some of it may be due to tesla servers, I also think it isn't smart about the connection. I've noticed it hangs onto what ever connection it started with (phone or wifi) even if it is down zero bars. IIf I kill the app off and restart it, it seems to pick the better connection and I'm back up.I hate using task killer but in this case, it seems to be called for.

I have similar experiences. I have to kill and restart the app just about every time.
I also had severe lag this long weekend, but I was on travel and wasn't sure if it was signal issues..

I've been noticing significant lags in my android app. While some of it may be due to tesla servers, I also think it isn't smart about the connection. I've noticed it hangs onto what ever connection it started with (phone or wifi) even if it is down zero bars. If I kill the app off and restart it, it seems to pick the better connection and I'm back up. I hate using task killer but in this case, it seems to be called for.

Yeah, I've had that since day one of using the app. I have little doubt that the android app was an afterthought that had had little development put into it.

Yeah, I've had that since day one of using the app. I have little doubt that the android app was an afterthought that had had little development put into it.

Ouch. Well as a beta-tester of both, I can tell you it wasn't that bad. It was actually far worse than the iPhone back then, but we spent a fair amount of time and iterations getting it to where it is now. Yes, it has a few warts but it wasn't an afterthought.

I know of the network issue (it sometimes plagues the iPhone version, too). What else? (Genuine question; I can share it with the folks I worked with @ Tesla. I'm so used to how they work that I don't see the bugs any more so would love to have your input)
Thanks!

There are a few things I can think of:
The app only shows when the driver door is open if any of the other ones are they do not show up.
The location does not update like the iPhone app. Only updates statically, more like a series of snapshots.
Like described above I have to kill the app everything to get it to work again.
A lot of times when you switch over to the location tab the map is covered by one of the other tabs graphic.
These issues happen on both my Samsung Galaxy SII and my wife's Galaxy SIII.

Those are the ones I can think of now. For me the only ones that are big problems are open doors not being shown and one and the fact I have to continually kill the app.

There are a few things I can think of:
The app only shows when the driver door is open if any of the other ones are they do not show up.
The location does not update like the iPhone app. Only updates statically, more like a series of snapshots.
Like described above I have to kill the app everything to get it to work again.
A lot of times when you switch over to the location tab the map is covered by one of the other tabs graphic.
These issues happen on both my Samsung Galaxy SII and my wife's Galaxy SIII.

Those are the ones I can think of now. For me the only ones that are big problems are open doors not being shown and one and the fact I have to continually kill the app.

I don't have any of those issues.. And I run the app on a Galaxy S III, a HTC One, and an HTC EVO 3D...

I noticed when my iPhone app updated, a few months ago, that the car graphic changed from my as built (showing standard wheels) to the 21" wheels. I called Ownership and they were clueless. Any idea how to get my actual as built graphic back? My Teslamotors.com home screen shows my as built configuration.

Since I got my S in April, my wifi Android tablet app has failed to allow logins. Apparently, a common problem noted prevously. I was VERY pleasantly surprised yesterday to find that my Android app worked! Probably, it got updated automatically on my tablet and I failed to notice.

I guess "big problem" was too strong for that particular bug. I was asked for a list of issued by cinergi and those were the two issues that I felt needed to be fixed first. The door thing should be an easy fix. The fact is that the android app (on the devices I have used it on) does not work correctly. But at least they call it a "Beta" app so I know what to expect.

I know from my own app development experience that this could be an issue with android not necessarily the app. Since any manufacturer or carrier can do anything they want to android it causes a lot of app compatibility issues that shouldn't exist.

Just curious, why that's a big problem?