Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now have a Nexus 5 with KitKat and have been using the Tesla app with no problems. This evening it started crashing after the login step. I cleared cache and data. Removed and reinstalled, rebooted, and much more with no improvement. Anyone else having issues with the android version this evening?

UPDATE: The error is a java ClassCastException, I just don't know what changed without my acknowledgement to make the error start happening. I have auto update set to off on everything.

Last edited:
Icon Sets for Android w/ Custom Tesla Icon

In case anyone is interested I use a icon set from a dev known as kovdev. I use his Nox set but he has others like Stark. Anyway I wanted him to accelerate the creation of a Tesla icon and paid to get that done. Here is a screenshot of what the set with the Tesla icon looks like. I think he does the icon across all of his 5 or so icon sets...

da5yjemy.jpg

I am not sure what you mean by REST or API's but what change are you looking for, my iphone app is awesome. I would like to be able to turn on the seat warmers verses the heater system.
John is referring to the way that the mobile app communicates with Tesla servers (and thus indirectly to the car). There's a thread in this same Tesla/UserInterface section with "REST" in the title if you'd like more information.

Does anyone have any details on what app updates might be coming?
Will there be an extensive change to the REST or streaming API's?

I don't know what might be added to any new APIs but I do know a few things that are in the existing APIs that are not exposed in the current Tesla mobile apps.

For example, you should be able to control the sunroof just like in the car (instead of just toggle between 'vent' and 'close') and you should be able to adjust the charge limit 'slider' to select any daily charge limit from 50% to 90%.

I'd also like to be able to turn on the front and rear defrosters. It makes a big difference considering the car is already toasty but somewhat defeats the purpose if you have to wait to see out the rear. I know the camera helps but sometimes it's blurry from rain/muck.

Don't care about the front defroster because the windshield clears okay if the car is warmed up. Turning on the rear defrost would certainly be nice! I've wanted that on a few occasions.

As for the rear camera, wipe it with your finger before you get in. It'll get dirty again once you start driving, but it'll work for a while; maybe long enough for the window to clear.

Does anyone have any details on what app updates might be coming?
Will there be an extensive change to the REST or streaming API's?

I am still waiting for them to correct the BUG that the app shows the rated range left in the battery no matter what you have the car set to show (rated or ideal). And even though it is showing the rated range, it actually says ideal range under the number. This should be a no brainer to fix and I've pointed it out since the second update a LONG time ago.