Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took delivery of a new Model S Plaid. When delivered we used my iPhone 12 to function as the key, it worked. I just received the iPhone 13 and it fails every time I try to set the iPhone up as a key. It fails to see the car. However the app works fine on the 13 and the bluetooth for phone and media works. I have tried to reinstall the app as well as do a reboot of the car, nothing has fixed it. On the verge of doing a factory reset of the car like when sold. Anyone else having this issue? I wonder if it is the iPhone? Thanks.

I recently took delivery of a new Model S Plaid. When delivered we used my iPhone 12 to function as the key, it worked. I just received the iPhone 13 and it fails every time I try to set the iPhone up as a key. It fails to see the car. However the app works fine on the 13 and the bluetooth for phone and media works. I have tried to reinstall the app as well as do a reboot of the car, nothing has fixed it. On the verge of doing a factory reset of the car like when sold. Anyone else having this issue? I wonder if it is the iPhone? Thanks.
I just got new iPhone 13 and hooked M3 to the app no problem. Make sure you have your card laying behind the cup holders while you try to get the app to connect.

My app no longer sees the car so that I cannot see my safety score. It’s been like this for 5 days. My app is updated and I have tried from multiple locations on multiple devices so it should connection of the car to the Internet or my phone. I have already reloaded the app and restarted the phone. Anyone else having connection problems.

Hey I just took delivery of my new MS LR yesterday. Everything is working perfectly but my tesla app has this Service message “Update from your Tesla team” and it won’t go away. I click into it and there’s no update/message. Do you know how I get it to go away or is this normal?
7B27F386-1638-4833-BE13-318EE9455992.jpeg

I've seen reports of this from back in April 2021, and it may have been occurring since then, but I seem to have lost some of the remote capabilities from the IOS app, probably for the last few months. This is on a pre-refresh 2017 S, with key fobs. Here's the scenarios:

1. I can LOCK the car from the app, but cannot UNLOCK it after that. When I try to unlock, the app spins for a while and then says and shows successfully unlocked, but the car is still locked
  2. When I try to remote START the car, it appears to work and it says I have 2 mins to drive. But when I press the brake pedal and try to engage Drive, it says it can't activate because the key is not in the car.
  3. I cannot open the frunk or trunk remotely either, but I can flash the lights and honk the horn fine.
I am currently running the latest version of the IOS app, and also FSD Beta 10.4, but this has been happening for a few months, even on the regular loads. These functions all used to work but I cannot pin down when they stopped working.

Is anybody else having similar issues?

I've seen reports of this from back in April 2021, and it may have been occurring since then, but I seem to have lost some of the remote capabilities from the IOS app, probably for the last few months. This is on a pre-refresh 2017 S, with key fobs. Here's the scenarios:

1. I can LOCK the car from the app, but cannot UNLOCK it after that. When I try to unlock, the app spins for a while and then says and shows successfully unlocked, but the car is still locked
  2. When I try to remote START the car, it appears to work and it says I have 2 mins to drive. But when I press the brake pedal and try to engage Drive, it says it can't activate because the key is not in the car.
  3. I cannot open the frunk or trunk remotely either, but I can flash the lights and honk the horn fine.
I am currently running the latest version of the IOS app, and also FSD Beta 10.4, but this has been happening for a few months, even on the regular loads. These functions all used to work but I cannot pin down when they stopped working.

Is anybody else having similar issues?
How recently did you upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2? If they omit a step in the upgrade process, it can cause the problems you are experiencing.

How recently did you upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2? If they omit a step in the upgrade process, it can cause the problems you are experiencing.
Hmm, I had my MCU upgrade done in Jan of 2021. The problem certainly could have occurred after that. I just wanted to make sure that folks with similar era Model S are not having the same problem before I make a service appointment, especially since my 4 year warranty is up.

Hmm, I had my MCU upgrade done in Jan of 2021. The problem certainly could have occurred after that. I just wanted to make sure that folks with similar era Model S are not having the same problem before I make a service appointment, especially since my 4 year warranty is up.
Our 2017 Model S still responds to all commands from the app. See this thread: Unable to unlock via phone after MCU replacement

They should be able to fix it remotely. Request "Reset of MCU commands key."

• Helpful
Reactions: cwanja
When I try to remote START the car, it appears to work and it says I have 2 mins to drive. But when I press the brake pedal and try to engage Drive, it says it can't activate because the key is not in the car.
I had this exact symptom. Check my post here, which is in the previous page of this thread:

They broke this functionality at some point from firmware in the car. I contacted them, and they remotely updated the car, and it fixed this.

If I am hijacking a thread, I apologize, but this is the closest subject to my question... Mods please
feel free to bump this elsewhere.
Tesletter came out with a "New Tesla Owners Orientation Guide", in pdf.
In it, is states that Models S and X cannot use a smartphone as a key. It doesn't even mention the
Model Y.
This sounds completely off base to me, especially since it doesn't mention the Model Y. If this is
untrue, this sort of brings the rest of the article into question.

Attachments

• New-Tesla-Owner-Orientation-Guide-By-Tesletter.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 99
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
If I am hijacking a thread, I apologize, but this is the closest subject to my question... Mods please
feel free to bump this elsewhere.
Tesletter came out with a "New Tesla Owners Orientation Guide", in pdf.
In it, is states that Models S and X cannot use a smartphone as a key. It doesn't even mention the
Model Y.
This sounds completely off base to me, especially since it doesn't mention the Model Y. If this is
untrue, this sort of brings the rest of the article into question.
Speaking only for Model S, which I own, they cannot use a smartphone as a key until the latest generation, the 2021 refresh (version with new interior and drivetrain, such as used in the Plaid). The phone app can lock and unlock the car, but as a "key" in the same sense as Model 3 does.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Speaking only for Model S, which I own, they cannot use a smartphone as a key until the latest generation, the 2021 refresh (version with new interior and drivetrain, such as used in the Plaid). The phone app can lock and unlock the car, but as a "key" in the same sense as Model 3 does.
Older models can still use a Smartphone with the Tesla app as a key, but only if the internet connection to the car is working. It does not work over the Bluetooth like modern / refreshed S and X models, or 3 and Ys. You have to have an internet connection to the car and then use the app to enable the key ‘feature’.