Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: Model S iPhone/Android mobile phone app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ehhhh... Not really. As soon as you put the security protocols into something thats hackable you're asking for it. I could edit the app and recompile it so it bypasses any checks. Install that app on a phone and find out the id or address of a car and tap into it.

Of course this is all speculation and theoreticals, but I'm trying to impress how easy it might be to do something nasty if ou hand over the keys to the castle. Less of a problem if things are done server-side of course.

And RFID has its own problems... I know. I was meaning to implement the security on the server side.

Scott was there making friends with people who can help with the Tattler. Let's hope something comes from it.
I really enjoyed talking with the engineers. They are very sharp bunch. I got there at 4pm and left at 11pm, somewhat horse from all the questions I was asking. :smile:

If Tesla could work with Scott on his solution for 1.5 (as well as 2.0 and 2.5) Roadsters and then support 2.0 and 2.5 Roadsters with the iPhone app, that'd be great.
I would love to work with Tesla on the tattler/iphone app. It's clear that they are very focused on the S. One person commented that they would like to do more on the Roadster, but that there just isn't any time. I spoke briefly with JB about the tattler when I picked up my 2nd roadster on 7/15. I tried to make the case for the tattler as the solution for Roadster 1.5 and 2.x, allowing them to continue to focus on S while I work on the roadster. I gave JB a tattler and someone at Tesla has been evaluating it since mid August. At the Model S event, I talked to a powertrain engineer briefly about the tattler, he indicated that they [Tesla] have had text notification of charging for a while. This would make sense as it would be easy to send a simple AT+CGMS command to their UMTS modem and send a text message. It probably was one-way, but it provided simple (useful) charging/alarm status.

As I am typing this, it seems to me that a hybrid of tattler and an iphone/android app for the model S could be a good solution. So the folks who have a model S and the iPhone would use the app interface to control their car and the folks who have a blackberry or other non-app phone would use a tattler style interface to control their Model S.

That'd work. They could determine what it cost them to develop and then charge for the app. Of course Apple keeps 30% though. Not sure if they can distribute the app independently.

Oh, the app's bound to be free - no cut to Apple - with some notes to the effect "You must have a Model S to make use of this app" :smile: We do this all the time with our enterprise mobile apps (the app's free but, you've got to have our server software installed!)

Oh, the app's bound to be free - no cut to Apple - with some notes to the effect "You must have a Model S to make use of this app" :smile: We do this all the time with our enterprise mobile apps (the app's free but, you've got to have our server software installed!)

I meant for Roadster owners (assuming they made it work with the Roadster). Could you download the free app then Tesla could charge you separately to get it to work?

I meant for Roadster owners (assuming they made it work with the Roadster). Could you download the free app then Tesla could charge you separately to get it to work?

Yes, Tesla could do that. Presumably, they'll have to include the SIM info for the Roadster anyway in their server's database that caters to the iPhone app; they could charge the Roadster owner for that effort, thus no cut to Apple.

Umm, did they just release Elon's real cell number on the internet?

If so, Mr Salim shall be pleased

hv865x.jpg

I sure hope they actually do launch an Android version.

I'm currently on an iPhone, but it is definitely going to be the last Apple product I ever buy. My plan is to go Android by the time I take delivery of my Model S (reservation # ~3,900)