Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: Model S iPhone/Android mobile phone app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autoblog has released a fairly good video of the car's UI, which ends with a brief demo of the mobile app.

Not to bring us off topic here, but I just noticed the energy app in the MS beta (~3 min in the YouTube video). I actually think this app has some advantages over the one we have in our production models. For instance, the beta app provided a breakdown of where the energy was being used in the car. To the best of my knowledge this is not available in the 4.2 energy app. Any idea if they plan to reintroduce this in a future firmware?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it'd be nice to be able to see this, maybe in a separate tab from the main energy graph:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359875428.672836.jpg

That would give the people seeing mysterious reductions in milage an idea what's sucking all the power. So this was already in place and they removed it for 4.2?
I don't believe that software version was ever released in production vehicles. My Model S came with 4.0 and there was nothing like that screen. Also, you can see in the "media" tab that the sound and source setting buttons on the upper right are not there. It does look like a very cool app and I hope they bring it (or something like it) back. It would be great to know more about what's going on with the individual power components. For exampl:, the DC -> DC charger that charges the 12v battery from the main battery. There is a lot of mystery behind the power systems.

I wonder whether features like this aren't present because (a) they weren't ready for prime time, (b) Tesla thinks we don't need to know stuff like this even though we really do, or (c) some sort of paranoia about giving too much information to competitors?

Simply knowing accurately how much energy was going to the pack heater, cabin heater, and drive train would really help in optimizing distance on those long trips in the cold. Heck, I'd just like to have a single overall number for "pack temperature". (Oh, and tire pressures while you're at it!)

At any rate, I do hope they introduce it a future firmware in some way, shape, or form. It is useful information to have, rather than a simple trace of wh/mi.

I was getting low on range coming into Tejon SC and I noticed my energy use spiking. My first thought was the heater so I turned it off. After that didn't work, I turned off audio and reduced my speed. Then I finally realized that it was below 40 F outside and that the pack heater must have been activated. Rather than making this a guessing game, it would be nice if Tesla had at-a-glance power consumption of the various subsystems.

Edit: @Doug_G I second the need for tire pressure and battery temp data. Perhaps under an "advanced" tab of the the controls or settings screen.

Last edited:
Just found it and downloaded it!

Home - shows current status, can sign in and out there.

Controls - vent roof, lock, unlock, honk horn, flash lights

Charge - switch from standard to max range, start and stop charging

Climate - shows current interior temp, turn climate on and off

Location - map view of the car location, direction to get to the car (goes to Maps app)

Thumbs up so far!

oh thank goodness!

iphone app is great. really smooth, responsive. (iphone 5, latest public release software). all functions work well, including location (which failed miserably on the android/bluestacks config). so happy.

(one note, my interior cabin temp seems to still be off. reads 72ºF and i know it's much closer to like 60 at this moment. i wonder if this is pointing to a general sensor issue with the cabin, seeing as we (i and others) have had trouble getting the climate system to adequately maintain/sense actual temperatures... i may take a fluke temp meter out there one day soon and measure actual differences between what it says and what it is...)

yay, iphone app. which incidentally scales very nicely on ipad using the 'x2' button. not jaggy or ugly in any way, just fills the screen. excellent!

... well, another anxious (read: annoyingly impatient) new tesla owner milestone crossed. check. √.

oh thank goodness!

iphone app is great. really smooth, responsive. (iphone 5, latest public release software). all functions work well, including location (which failed miserably on the android/bluestacks config). so happy.

(one note, my interior cabin temp seems to still be off. reads 72ºF and i know it's much closer to like 60 at this moment. i wonder if this is pointing to a general sensor issue with the cabin, seeing as we (i and others) have had trouble getting the climate system to adequately maintain/sense actual temperatures... i may take a fluke temp meter out there one day soon and measure actual differences between what it says and what it is...)

yay, iphone app. which incidentally scales very nicely on ipad using the 'x2' button. not jaggy or ugly in any way, just fills the screen. excellent!

... well, another anxious (read: annoyingly impatient) new tesla owner milestone crossed. check. √.
Interior temp for mine shows 72F as well. I suspect that's a default temp and will need to mess with the climate system (ie: turn it on) to get the real temp.

It *could* be 72F, but I really doubt it.

Interior temp for mine shows 72F as well. I suspect that's a default temp and will need to mess with the climate system (ie: turn it on) to get the real temp.

It probably is the temp. I've been using the beta since November and it varies each time but seems to be a little warmer inside the car than you think it would be (must be well insulated).

When I installed my app (while sitting at Barstow SC tonight) mine said 75F. Which should be very close to the right temp considering I had the AC set to 74 the entire way from Vegas to Barstow. Maybe a little warmer from body heat inside the car while charging.

The iPhone App is finally out! Now what?

I have to admit that I have been checking every day for the iPhone app to come out and was thrilled when it was in the App store. Now that I have it and have played with it, I must admit that it's definitely more cool than practical. Showing people the app is definitely fun but I can't imagine using it that often unless it's a hot day and I want to run the AC before I get to my car. So my question for you is what features would you add to the app to make it even more practical. To start us off, here are a few of my own:
  1. Let us insert an address from our phone so that when we get in the car, the navigation is ready.
  2. Sync list of contact favorites.
  3. Open all windows and sunroof.
  4. Set time for AC so I can say turn to 73 degrees at 6am.
  5. See rear view camera remotely (totally not needed but would be cool).
  6. Send website from phone to car browser.

Look forward to your suggestions.