Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: Model S iPhone/Android mobile phone app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit that I have been checking every day for the iPhone app to come out and was thrilled when it was in the App store. Now that I have it and have played with it, I must admit that it's definitely more cool than practical. Showing people the app is definitely fun but I can't imagine using it that often unless it's a hot day and I want to run the AC before I get to my car. So my question for you is what features would you add to the app to make it even more practical. To start us off, here are a few of my own:
  1. Let us insert an address from our phone so that when we get in the car, the navigation is ready.
  2. Sync list of contact favorites.
  3. Open all windows and sunroof.
  4. Set time for AC so I can say turn to 73 degrees at 6am.
  5. See rear view camera remotely (totally not needed but would be cool).
  6. Send website from phone to car browser.

Look forward to your suggestions.

Well considering we're using something that may be 2 months old, maybe they've gotten that far by now heh

I know you are all very excited, but there is already a topic about this: Phone App: Model S iPhone/Android mobile phone app

have fun over there!

Yeah, sorry about that, but I was so depressed every time I checked this thread and the app wasn't released yet that I stopped checking it. So I missed the news and needed Raven's new thread as a wake-up call...:wink:

Now it's been merged, and life is good again.

I will admit that getting in to a warm car this morning after starting the climate control prior to departure was really nice. The app seems to be very smooth and works very well. I also would like to see more functionality eventually (the big one being timed charging) but for right now it fits the bill.

I have to admit that I have been checking every day for the iPhone app to come out and was thrilled when it was in the App store. Now that I have it and have played with it, I must admit that it's definitely more cool than practical. Showing people the app is definitely fun but I can't imagine using it that often unless it's a hot day and I want to run the AC before I get to my car. So my question for you is what features would you add to the app to make it even more practical.

Hey Steven. Interesting list, but I have to disagree with your questioning its practicality. Living in climates that are colder than Florida, remote cabin heating is HUGE!

Hey Steven. Interesting list, but I have to disagree with your questioning its practicality. Living in climates that are colder than Florida, remote cabin heating is HUGE!
You bet -- I've been having to go outside ~6:30am each morning to get the trickle-charge + heating started. Yes, I don't have a garage. The pre-heat feature of the app is a huge improvement in my quality of life.

I got the iPhone version, and oddly it shows the standard 21" wheels instead of the Performance wheels like the android app does (and my car shows and actually has). My car actually came with standard wheels showing and I had it changed to perf wheels, so I wonder if that's a disconnect (i.e. maybe it's pulling data from Tesla servers and not the car -- but then, why would Android be correct and not iOS?).

I have the iPhone app up and running now. I like the usability and features. I agree the ability to send an address to the nav would be a nice future feature, but right now I'm more than happy with what is has. The honk and lights blink is perfect for when the car is somewhere is a lot and I can't recall where. The preheat is working (tested it) as promised and I like that I can go from standard to range charge via the app as well.

I can't wait to mess with people with the various features when the car is parked and they are looking at it like it fell from space!

One bug, I show the 21" wheels, and I have the 19" wheels. Talk about sev 3!