Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone app unlock, auto high beams, and turn signal cancel worse with updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a M3 SR+ and it had version 15... on delivery and everything worked. Now it has received update 28,. and recently 32., and I have noticed.

1. The car used to open easily with the phone in my pocket. Now I have to take it out and press the power button and even enter the password and bring it close to the Tesla before the door lock would function. This is disappointing.
2. The auto high beams worked beautifully. Now even in pitch darkness the high beam does not come on and I have to manually do it ( the setting is unchanged at auto).
3. The turn signal would shut off if I moved it once again in the same direction. Now no more. And moving it the other way activates the opposite side turn signal.

Tesla, stop messing with feature that worked well. A this rate I may not be able to drive the car by Version 10.12

• Informative
Reactions: Petrocelli
#1 What phone? If an iPhone, there are comments that a recent Apple update reset a battery-saving feature and you have to re-allow the Tesla app to run in the background

#2 Sounds like operator error. Are you sure you haven't unintentionally disabled auto-high beams? Its really easy to.

#3 Weird, because nothing has changed relative to the indicator stalk. Wonder if #2 and #3 might indicate a problem with that stalk?

PS: ON 2019.32.*, just updated from 28.1

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
I'm on 32.2.1
My phone as key works all the time
Auto high beams work correctly
I have no problem with turning off the turn signals either by once again in the same direction or half press in the opposite direction.

It's not the updates, if you are having these problems it more likely something to do with your car. I'd setup a service appointment.

I have had my M3 two months now and the stereo sound has gotten worse over time. I purchased a std model and it was delivered as a std+. I enjoyed the auto pilot for a few weeks and the immersive sound. I knew that I would loose these eventually but I had no idea on how bad the stereo was going to sound. The dealer never had a "std" stereo for me to listen to so how would I have known that paying this much for a car would have a worse stereo than my Odyssey mini van (not an exaggeration). My wife, who is not a stereo sound expert by any means got in my car after the last update and said "what happened to your stereo?". This is ridiculous. Tesla...why would you want your customers to be unhappy when this could be avoided. immersive sound should be a starting point on everyone of their cars...it is already there!!!! I am even willing to pay for the immersive sound like it started out with but I don't need autopilot so $4K for a better sound is ludicrous. no pun intended... Why can't Tesla go to "a-la-cart" for stuff? They would make a ton of instant cash. How do they not see this? Just look at these forums!!!!

immersive sound should be a starting point on everyone of their cars...it is already there!!!! I am even willing to pay for the immersive sound like it started out with but I don't need autopilot so $4K for a better sound is ludicrous. no pun intended... Why can't Tesla go to "a-la-cart" for stuff? They would make a ton of instant cash. How do they not see this? Just look at these forums!!!!

talk to your stores or call or tweet @ Elon to pass it up the food chain. When I talked to my store, the guy said us SR owners who want a la carte are a very limited group

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I have a M3 SR+ and it had version 15... on delivery and everything worked. Now it has received update 28,. and recently 32., and I have noticed.

1. The car used to open easily with the phone in my pocket. Now I have to take it out and press the power button and even enter the password and bring it close to the Tesla before the door lock would function. This is disappointing.
2. The auto high beams worked beautifully. Now even in pitch darkness the high beam does not come on and I have to manually do it ( the setting is unchanged at auto).
3. The turn signal would shut off if I moved it once again in the same direction. Now no more. And moving it the other way activates the opposite side turn signal.

#1 Phone unlock has worked for me ~95% of the time. After every software upgrade, and sometimes randomly, I am prompted to unlock the car via the key card. It's a PITA, but at least it's (mostly) predictable.

#2 Auto beams have never reliably worked for me. If I flick on the high-beams manually, they will disengage for incoming traffic afterwards. But they hardly ever come ON by themselves, even when it would be appropriate. There is a stalk for engaging high beams, and this is, roughly, the state of the art on all my other cars.

#3 Turn signal disengagement has always been flaky. Sometimes hitting the stalk the second time in the direction of the blinker turns it off, other times it doesn't. I rarely need to test this, as I usually turn the blinker on when I know I can make a lane change or a turn, not as a request to open up space. Thus, I hardly ever need to disengage it. But when I do, it's a crap shoot.

#4 Auto wipers suck. The only time they turn on reliably is when I turn the car ON to back out of my garage, in the dark. Then they wastefully swipe 100% of the time as I'm packing out with a perfectly dry windshield (if wipers are set to "auto"). The rest of the time they have a mind of their own. There is no dedicated wiper stalk in Model 3, so this is a real PITA.

This is all part and parcel of Model 3 ownership.

Tesla, stop messing with feature that worked well. A this rate I may not be able to drive the car by Version 10.12

That would require way more testing after every code build than you are paying them to perform ($0 per upgrade).
I would not count on that.

If there are only a few of us then convert our stereos back to immersive sound so we dont bring people in our "Teslas" with crappy stereos...bad for the BRAND!!!

You get what you paid for, why are you complaining now!

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
#1 Phone unlock has worked for me ~95% of the time. After every software upgrade, and sometimes randomly, I am prompted to unlock the car via the key card. It's a PITA, but at least it's (mostly) predictable.

#2 Auto beams have never reliably worked for me. If I flick on the high-beams manually, they will disengage for incoming traffic afterwards. But they hardly ever come ON by themselves, even when it would be appropriate. There is a stalk for engaging high beams, and this is, roughly, the state of the art on all my other cars.

#3 Turn signal disengagement has always been flaky. Sometimes hitting the stalk the second time in the direction of the blinker turns it off, other times it doesn't. I rarely need to test this, as I usually turn the blinker on when I know I can make a lane change or a turn, not as a request to open up space. Thus, I hardly ever need to disengage it. But when I do, it's a crap shoot.

#4 Auto wipers suck. The only time they turn on reliably is when I turn the car ON to back out of my garage, in the dark. Then they wastefully swipe 100% of the time as I'm packing out with a perfectly dry windshield (if wipers are set to "auto"). The rest of the time they have a mind of their own. There is no dedicated wiper stalk in Model 3, so this is a real PITA.

That would require way more testing after every code build than you are paying them to perform ($0 per upgrade).

So different from my experience. #3 and #4 seek service. That’s not my experience at all. My wiper stalk has been flawless, and if you are experiencing wipers on 100% of the time with no rain then you really need to seek service. And to #2 I found high beams to be a little twitchy coming on and off a little too much which is why I disabled them.

All three of these have been sporadic issues I've noticed since I took delivery of my Model 3 in August. Not as big of a deal as the Auto Pilot issues listed on other threads, but still not something I would have expected on a $60K+ vehicle. I was backing out of my garage the other day and the wipers came on. The high/low beam issue seems to have gotten better over the last few drives, and the auto phone unlock has made me always have my phone in my hand when approaching the car. Still, despite these and other nagging issues covered in multiple other threads it is still the best car I've ever owned!

How do I know what I paid for [AFADEEV] if I was never given the opportunity to hear the poor quality audio before I purchased?!? The showroom never had a STD audio for me to listen to. Only Immersive Sound which was/is WAY better then the crap I now have. I am tired of people on this forum saying "you get what you paid for", when Tesla doesn't give you the opportunity to know what you are paying for!!! And then the quality has changed (gotten worse) at least twice with software updates.

I do agree with all 1-4 of [AFADEEV] answers.

So different from my experience. #3 and #4 seek service. That’s not my experience at all. My wiper stalk has been flawless, and if you are experiencing wipers on 100% of the time with no rain then you really need to seek service.

Thanks for the feedback.
But "seek service" for a Tesla owner is almost as warm and fuzzy as recommending to go and hump a light post. I am still chasing down service center (SC) promises for warranty-covered items 6 months post delivery.

Even when you can replicate an issue right then and there in front of them, it takes months to order parts and then, maybe someday, get back to the owner. For something intermittent, or something that only happens in my garage - good luck getting SC to engage constructively.
:eek:

And to #2 I found high beams to be a little twitchy coming on and off a little too much which is why I disabled them.

I keep mine on, but they hardly ever turn ON on their own. However, once I flick them ON, they seam to work for the duration of the trip.
For auto-wipers, I just remind myself to manually turn them OFF before I park the car.

Both issues are not critical enough for me to warrant scheduling an SC "experience".
Tesla has removed my nearest SC's location from their app anyway, and the nearest available in-app location is now ~1.5 hours away (instead of the location that is 15 minutes from my house).
:rolleyes:

a