Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App v2.0 (FW v6.0)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure what the benefit of this is, as the car tells you when it has downloaded an update and is ready to install. It's unlikely someone would want to install an upgrade while they're away in case something goes wrong.

If it arrives in the evening, you may want to accept then instead of finding out in the morning the update it ready.

You may not be able to tell by here on TMC, but many of us are impatient and like to try the updates out as soon as possible. ;)

The Andriod phone app release notes do not include the "notifications" items available on the iOS app:

- Owners will now be notified when:
- There's a software update available for install on Model S
- Charging has started, has been interrupted, or is complete
- Car alarm has been triggered

I hope this is just a documentation oversight, and the Android app has these notifications, too.

Android App official site:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslamotors.tesla&hl=en

iPhone app TMC discussion:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/35725-Tesla-Model-S-App-Updated-for-6-0-w-Keyless-Drive-Feature

Have a reference from Tesla for that statement?

I can see how someone might use it for emergencies, but perhaps I'd like to use it beyond that, and I haven't seen a definitive statement that Tesla considers it "for emergency use only".

I would advise against it. What if your iPhone battery dies or your car is not within mobile coverage zones? Then what are you going to do?

I would advise against it. What if your iPhone battery dies or your car is not within mobile coverage zones? Then what are you going to do?
Network access is need in the current implementation, but it does not need to be that way Tesla could make it work locally, via NFC or a local bluetooth network.

Running out of batteries is a different issue, but it's not hard to avoid, especially if you know you need you phone to start the car. Loosing a fob is probably more likely for me than running out of batteries.

I just tried killing the breaker to my HPWC but received no notification on my iPhone 5s, running tesla app 2.0, car fw 5.12. Both car and iphone are on the same wifi. I was able to pop the charge port door from the app.
You need firmware 6.0.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm surprised that nobody with 2.0 & 6.0 has posted screenshots.

One of the more interesting things to me is that Supercharging notifications are ALWAYS on. Perhaps this will help congestion at some of the busier Superchargers.

You need firmware 6.0.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm surprised that nobody with 2.0 & 6.0 has posted screenshots.

One of the more interesting things to me is that Supercharging notifications are ALWAYS on. Perhaps this will help congestion at some of the busier Superchargers.

I'm sorry, but has FW6.0 been released?! I was expecting a dozen threads along the line of "OMGFW60FTW!!!!!!11111OMFG!!!!!" and an official Tesla blogpost when it was released.

Or are the beta testers just being more open about the fact that they are beta testers now?

Oh, and Android users are totally getting screwed on the mobile app front.

Last edited:
The charging notification settings in the iPhone app defaults to on for "charging interrupted" and off for "charging started" and "charging complete", except for superchargers always on as someone noted above. A good choice-- this is what most people would need, and if someone wants the other notifications they can enable them.

Wow. That's so much more calm and sedate than I was expecting of this community.

I agree - I opened up the thread thinking it was more hypothesizing and navel gazing about when 6.0 might be coming and what features it might have etc. and the first poster was fairly matter of factly saying Just downloaded 6.0. Did not try any of the features, having trouble downloading pictures from the iPhone. I had to read several more posts to believe that it had been released - particularly after so many months of build up.

The charging notification settings in the iPhone app defaults to on for "charging interrupted" and off for "charging started" and "charging complete", except for superchargers always on as someone noted above. A good choice-- this is what most people would need, and if someone wants the other notifications they can enable them.

I'd like to see a customizable notification for Supercharger use. Such as "notify me when I reach x miles of charge".

I'd like to see a customizable notification for Supercharger use. Such as "notify me when I reach x miles of charge".
If you really need to be notified when you reach x miles of charge, instead of checking the app once in a while, you could set your charge slider to that percentage and it would give you a "charging complete" message. If you wanted to charge more after that, getting the extra miles as you walk back to the car, move the charging slider to 100% and start charging again.