Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App v2.0 (FW v6.0)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any word if the charge slider or notification system is being worked for Android?

Hmmm. The car start can be handy. I just beefed up my TM password because of this. I'll definitely only use it in emergency situations.
As a precaution I'll be adding a wifi connection to the car based on my phone's tethering access point, just for an emergency situation where the car doesn't have cell coverage but my phone does.

Has anyone tested that this car start feature works when the car only has wifi coverage and no 3G?
From a recent test I did, the car requires a 3G connection to get woken if it has dropped off to sleep. Only then is the wifi any good.

i think this makes the app Start button a wonderful backup, but not to be relied on for normal everyday use

It turns out that my parents two Model S's each have their own account with Tesla. That is why both cars were not showing up in the app on their phones.

Tesla told them that they are unable to "merge" the two accounts into one account. What Tesla will do is make it so that both cars are visible in my fathers app and in my mothers app.

My parents two Model S vehicles are both under the same account as far as I know but they can't get both cars to show up in their iPhone app. My dad is going to go to his local Service Center and ask how to do it.

I thought that once both of their cars were on V6 (they are) and the updated to the V2 app that both cars would show up on their app. But they didn't.

Tesla told them that they are unable to "merge" the two accounts into one account. What Tesla will do is make it so that both cars are visible in my fathers app and in my mothers app.

If they can do that, then they can "merge" the accounts. Just delete one of the accounts afterwards.

I wonder if anybody could do this... just "share" your car with another owner. Not sure I'd want to do it, but I can see cases where it would be useful.

If they can do that, then they can "merge" the accounts. Just delete one of the accounts afterwards.

I wonder if anybody could do this... just "share" your car with another owner. Not sure I'd want to do it, but I can see cases where it would be useful.

Yep, it seems so easy, except if the key to the entire database of logs, history, payments, contracts, contacts, is userid(email address). Then a conversion is not so easy. So, best not to be concerned with HOW they give both access, just THAT they do.

Curious @jvon... what useful cases can you see? I usually have overactive imagination but drawing a blank here!

Yep, it seems so easy, except if the key to the entire database of logs, history, payments, contracts, contacts, is userid(email address). Then a conversion is not so easy. So, best not to be concerned with HOW they give both access, just THAT they do.

If you sell your car they can transfer the history to the new owner so it's clearly possible to change the primary userid/email address.

I sent an email to Ownership yesterday (Sunday) about the Android app missing the Charge Slider and Notifications that are in the iPhone app. Received the following response within about 10 minutes: "Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors technical support regarding our Android app. I will get your concerns to the appropriate team so that we can get those features added as soon as possible."

Not holding my breath, however if all of us Android users would email ownership and ask for them to have pity on us Android users, maybe they would get the hint. Might ask for the Windows one too.

I'm surprised there aren't more complaints about failure to connect with the car. I often get the unable to connect message, usually but not always after a long time spinning the wheels. Then I often get the waking car message, even when I just left the car on a supercharger and I know full well it is awake. This has gotten a lot worse since v2 of the App, and needs to be fixed.

A related issue is that changes in the charge complete level are often dropped and unconfirmed. But sometimes this is in error too and the change has actually been made, though not indicated. In one case the charging was interrupted when this happened.

If this all results from the Tesla servers having their own problems, that needs to be fixed! It won't do to no longer have insight into how our car is progressing with a charge. How can we leave the car if we cannot monitor its progress while away from it, especially given the possibility of interrupted charging!?

I'm surprised there aren't more complaints about failure to connect with the car. I often get the unable to connect message, usually but not always after a long time spinning the wheels. Then I often get the waking car message, even when I just left the car on a supercharger and I know full well it is awake. This has gotten a lot worse since v2 of the App, and needs to be fixed.

I used to get that a lot before 6.0 and v2.0 of the app. I don't remember getting it even once since the updates.

Just for the record, I changed my email address associated with my Tesla account a few weeks ago, and since then the app constantly failed to connect (I didn't associate the two events until yesterday). I then realized that it wasn't able to log in becuase it was using my old email address, so as soon as I changed it, it worked fine. The point of this story is that the app is not smart enough to report incorrect credentials, so it just appears as if it's not connecting.

Just wanted to report a new bug/glitch with the Android app.

For the last week or so it acts like it doesn't always load fully despite having the appearance of doing so (able to view the car, switch menus, check SOC, etc).

However, it will be extremely sluggish to accept new commands such as turning on the climate control or starting charging. It may even refuse to do them once or twice. You can tell this has occurred because the activity icons (air movement arrows, rising current/voltage numbers, etc) do not immediately appear.

Setting the charge limit has also failed as part of this bug. You can set a new limit but before charging starts the arrow shifts back to your previous setting.

Repeating any of the problem processes will eventually be successful but it is still annoying to not have it work the first time.

A good way to tell the app isn't fully loaded is if your car is plugged in but the cord doesn't show up on the home screen.

I often see that kind of behaviour if the phone or the car is in a poor coverage area. When both are at home on WiFi, it generally works great for me. It would be nice if the app gave better error messages, though, like "Can't connect to server" or "Server can't connect to car" or "Server lost connection to car" or "Server timed out waiting for car to respond" rather than just spinning or going back to the screen as if nothing happened like you say, where the climate "Turn On" button has a spinner for a while and then just goes back to "Turn On".

I often see that kind of behaviour if the phone or the car is in a poor coverage area. When both are at home on WiFi, it generally works great for me. It would be nice if the app gave better error messages, though, like "Can't connect to server" or "Server can't connect to car" or "Server lost connection to car" or "Server timed out waiting for car to respond" rather than just spinning or going back to the screen as if nothing happened like you say, where the climate "Turn On" button has a spinner for a while and then just goes back to "Turn On".

Agree, I only thought this worth mentioning because:

a) It is relatively new behavior for me (in the last 2 weeks)
b) I'm on my home WiFi network

FYI, I just got a nice automatic update of the American Express Card app - they enabled TouchID, so that I can authenticate into the app and manage my Amex card with my fingerprint on my iPhone 6.

Now that two generations of iPhones have TouchID and the TouchID API is out there and open for use by developers, fingerprint authentication with TouchID seems a logical new feature for the Tesla app.

Seems that Tesla isn't devoting a lot of resources on their app development (for example the Tesla app isn't yet upgraded to take full advantage of the iPhone 6+ resolution and screen, something their developer tools make very easy).

Neither on the in-car software, LOL.
Certainly most of the software development resources are devoted to getting autopilot operational. I just wish they had a bigger team. It seems like they can only concentrate on one thing at a time (air suspension updates, navigation improvements, now autopilot). Certainly there's a ton going on behind the scenes, but from the driver's seat progress is slow. I'm not missing anything that was promised to me, which gives me little room to complain, I just hoped I'd at least have a shuffle option or basic phone/media functionality by now. So it goes with new companies.

I just hoped I'd at least have a shuffle option or basic phone/media functionality by now. So it goes with new companies.

...and old companies. I was just thinking back to my previous vehicles (MB, Hyundai, and Audi) and I don't think they had shuffle/random on their audio systems either. Mind you, it was mostly confined to CDs back then, so it really wasn't a big deal to manually shuffle 10-12 tracks. The cars with USB definitely did NOT have shuffle functionality.