Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App v2.0 (FW v6.0)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla App had an update last night

The iphone Tesla app had an update available last night. When I installed it, I didn't see anything different. However, this morning I had no problem connecting to my car (unlike the last few days). This is the first update I have seen for the Tesla app.
I am wondering if this app update is related to firmware 6.1 being released. I haven't received 6.1 yet.

Did anyone else see any new features in the app update?

Does the Android Tesla app have support for Calendar? Should I be getting notifications for firmware updates, car alarm, charging getting inturrupted?

My wife has all of the above functionality on her iPhone, but none of it works on my 3 year old Samsung Galaxy Nexus... Is my phone too old, or is something messed up?

Recently I had to re-install the app as it couldn't connect to the Tesla severs over a several day period. It was very bizarre as the problem only existed on my phone.

Any info about what functionality the android app is supposed to have is much appreciated.

The iphone Tesla app had an update available last night. When I installed it, I didn't see anything different. However, this morning I had no problem connecting to my car (unlike the last few days). This is the first update I have seen for the Tesla app.
I am wondering if this app update is related to firmware 6.1 being released. I haven't received 6.1 yet.

Did anyone else see any new features in the app update?
If it's like the 6.0 update, the new iPhone app features won't show up until your car has upgraded to the new firmware.

Does the Android Tesla app have support for Calendar? Should I be getting notifications for firmware updates, car alarm, charging getting inturrupted?

My wife has all of the above functionality on her iPhone, but none of it works on my 3 year old Samsung Galaxy Nexus... Is my phone too old, or is something messed up?

Recently I had to re-install the app as it couldn't connect to the Tesla severs over a several day period. It was very bizarre as the problem only existed on my phone.

Any info about what functionality the android app is supposed to have is much appreciated.

The Android app does have Calendar support but does not have any notifications.

Just wanted to report a new bug/glitch with the Android app.

For the last week or so it acts like it doesn't always load fully despite having the appearance of doing so (able to view the car, switch menus, check SOC, etc).

However, it will be extremely sluggish to accept new commands such as turning on the climate control or starting charging. It may even refuse to do them once or twice. You can tell this has occurred because the activity icons (air movement arrows, rising current/voltage numbers, etc) do not immediately appear.

Setting the charge limit has also failed as part of this bug. You can set a new limit but before charging starts the arrow shifts back to your previous setting.

Repeating any of the problem processes will eventually be successful but it is still annoying to not have it work the first time.

A good way to tell the app isn't fully loaded is if your car is plugged in but the cord doesn't show up on the home screen.
+1 I've seen this too

Off topic: Now I know I'm not the only one in the very small sliver in the middle of a Venn diagram of Tesla Model S drivers and Samsung Galaxy Nexus users. ;)

Does the calendar functionality work for you?

- - - Updated - - -

The Android app does have Calendar support but does not have any notifications.

:( This makes me want an iphone.... I'd love to know when charging is finished, gets interrupted etc.

The iOS update does not appear to take advantage of the new iOS hardware features, even though Apple's iOS developer kit makes adding these features quite easy.

Specifically the new version of the iOS app doesn't take full advantage of the higher screen resolution of the new iPhone 6 and 6 plus.

More importantly, it is now relatively easy for developers to add TouchID authentication to their apps, to further lock down access to the app behind fingerprint authentication. It would be nice to have the Tesla App upgraded to take advantage of this new security feature, especially now that you can unlock and even start your car from the app. I would advocate putting remote unlock, start and automobile location behind device-based authentication.

version 2.5?

Off topic: Now I know I'm not the only one in the very small sliver in the middle of a Venn diagram of Tesla Model S drivers and Samsung Galaxy Nexus users. :wink:
Me too! The GNex is a great phone, still going strong. (let's ignore the warranty repair I had on mine)

The iOS update does not appear to take advantage of the new iOS hardware features, even though Apple's iOS developer kit makes adding these features quite easy.

Specifically the new version of the iOS app doesn't take full advantage of the higher screen resolution of the new iPhone 6 and 6 plus.

More importantly, it is now relatively easy for developers to add TouchID authentication to their apps, to further lock down access to the app behind fingerprint authentication. It would be nice to have the Tesla App upgraded to take advantage of this new security feature, especially now that you can unlock and even start your car from the app. I would advocate putting remote unlock, start and automobile location behind device-based authentication.

version 2.5?
Good to know it's not only the Android app missing very useful functionality that is relatively easy to implement. But still, not happy that the Android app continues to lack features that the iOS app has had for nearly a year. I want push notifications already!

Does the calendar functionality work for you?

Works great for me. Are you having trouble with it?

Me too! The GNex is a great phone, still going strong.

Woohoo! We should start a club. :) Mine's a bit slow and the battery life isn't great, but it's not bad enough to justify spending hundreds of dollars for something only incrementally better.

Woohoo! We should start a club. :smile: Mine's a bit slow and the battery life isn't great, but it's not bad enough to justify spending hundreds of dollars for something only incrementally better.
It's usually because of too many apps hogging resources than it is the hardware. I find that wiping the phone (in my case, almost always when installing a custom ROM) gives a significant boost in battery life and speed, which gradually dwindles as I install more apps. On the other hand, better hardware means more resources to go around.
And yeah, maybe a club would help keep us from dragging this thread off topic. :wink: Actually, might not be a bad idea to have an Android group and an iOS group on TMC.

When I bring up the calendar in my car it says to download the Tesla app or whatever. It doesn't work at all. (I checked in the Tesla app and calendar is set to on). Do you think it's something I should contact ownership about to file a bug report?

Is your phone connected to the car via Bluetooth? I think that's how it transfers the calendar data. If it already is, then yes, I would contact Tesla to see if they can sort it out.