Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone app was connected but Card Key needed to start the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello again guys.
I always seem to have wEiRd issues with my Model Y, this time it's with starting the car.
When I went to my car this morning which was in the garage at my designated parking spot, the door wouldn't open and I was advised to use my card key to open the door.
I took my phone out of my pocket and clicked on the Open/Close door icon and the door opened but I was unable to start the card (the displayed showed a picture of the card key being placed by the back of the storage compartment, to start the car.
In any event, I drove to my destination which was a shopping mall, bought what I came for and when I got back to the car, I wasn't able to open the door again.
So I got my phone phone out of my pocket again and the door opened but once again, I wasn't able to start the car without the key card.
That was twice on the same trip (going to my destination and coming back home) that my phone was able to open the door but I had to use the card key, to start the car.
Any thoughts, suggestions,advice,...... would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bob

FYI, if the car doesn't detect the phone/key to unlock the doors it won't magically "see" the phone/key just because you used it to unlock the doors to get in.

That said, you're not alone with people having issues with their phone working reliably as a key. Not sure if this was a recent update that caused the issues to begin or if it's been present the entire time. We only recently got our first Model Y and have had sporadic issues with this feature ever since taking delivery.

At any rate, lots of threads discussing this so you can search/read those to get some ideas on things you can try that may help. Otherwise I think the more people submit a ticket to Tesla the quicker they'll issue a fix for a reliably working solution.

• Helpful
Reactions: jpfive
Upvote 0
Hello again guys.
I always seem to have wEiRd issues with my Model Y, this time it's with starting the car.
When I went to my car this morning which was in the garage at my designated parking spot, the door wouldn't open and I was advised to use my card key to open the door.
I took my phone out of my pocket and clicked on the Open/Close door icon and the door opened but I was unable to start the card (the displayed showed a picture of the card key being placed by the back of the storage compartment, to start the car.
In any event, I drove to my destination which was a shopping mall, bought what I came for and when I got back to the car, I wasn't able to open the door again.
So I got my phone phone out of my pocket again and the door opened but once again, I wasn't able to start the car without the key card.
That was twice on the same trip (going to my destination and coming back home) that my phone was able to open the door but I had to use the card key, to start the car.
Thank you
Bob
energy-settings of the app.
he should stay active in the background

Upvote 0
Hello again.
I made several stops this morning and on every occassion, I was able to open the car door using the app but I was advised that my subscriptions has expired, fyi I purchase the car for roughly 18 months, and that I had to use the key to start the car.
Is this a glitch in the latest software update or do I either buy the subscription or use the car key to start the car from now on?
Thank you
Bob

Upvote 0
Hello again.
I made several stops this morning and on every occassion, I was able to open the car door using the app but I was advised that my subscriptions has expired, fyi I purchase the car for roughly 18 months, and that I had to use the key to start the car.
Is this a glitch in the latest software update or do I either buy the subscription or use the car key to start the car from now on?
Thank you
Bob
There's no subscription required to use your phone as a key the way you describe.

Are you sure it wasn't just an app notification alerting you that you no longer have premium data subscribed in your car?

Upvote 0
Hello again guys.
Thank you
Bob
I've had that happen a few times, and then start working again. One time I used the card as the message on the screen said. The rest of the time I just put the phone on the spot on the pillar where you would put the card and it did everything.........until the next time. But the malfunction is rare.

Upvote 0
For several months last year the current update (of the car software) caused this to happen all the time in the 2019 Model 3 I had. I have never had a problem with the Model Y in 3+ months I have owned it. Over the last nearly 4 years most of my similar problems (but for the time last year) could be traced to the phone doing an update or something else (using Google Pixel phones). First thing to try is turning off bluetooth on the phone then back on. If that does not work, restart the Tesla app. If that does not work, reboot the phone and restart the app.

Upvote 0
Yes, you want to make sure the OS isn't "sleeping" the app to save battery & resources. That said, I've got our apps full untethered and we still have issues. I think that Tesla needs to give some attention to this function within the firmware.
I haven't had this problem much, but I did have it yesterday with no obvious reason why. I use an Android phone so I just added the Tesla app to the power saving exclusions list per your advice. Thanks. I might try rebooting my car and/or phone next time (if at home) as I turn off walk away locking in my garage and can always get in the car there.

Upvote 0