Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I have a 2021 Y and a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 phone and every so often (roughly every 15-20 times), when I approach my car, the door does not open because the phone app is not connected.
Let me add that WiFi is not available in my garage and wanted to check if this is unique to my Samsung phone or do other Tesla owners have the same issue?
Thank you
Bob

Thank you Nate.
I understand that I need to have the app running 24/7 the problem that I have is that the app keeps shutting down if it is not being used i.e. when I am in my apartment and was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this.
Thank you for your help Nate
Bob

Hey guys, I have a 2021 Y and a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 phone and every so often (roughly every 15-20 times), when I approach my car, the door does not open because the phone app is not connected.
Let me add that WiFi is not available in my garage and wanted to check if this is unique to my Samsung phone or do other Tesla owners have the same issue?
Thank you
Bob
I'm using the same exact phone. No issues like you so far. Fingers crossed.

Doesn't Android monitor running apps that are not being much and then stop them or force them into a deep sleep for power savings? I seem to recall that on a Galaxy tablet a while back, a message saying as much because I had an app left running in the background and I was not using it. I'm not an Android guy, but check if there is a setting or exclusion to say do not shut down this app. Alternatively bring the Tesla app to the foreground every so often to reset that timer and prevent it from being neutered? Set a daily alarm to remind yourself to open the app?

I should have included this from the Samsung website.

"Screen Timeout is an option on Samsung devices that will turn the screen off to save battery life. Out of the box the default is 30 seconds. See the steps to change the Screen Timeout option to keep your phone or tablets screen on for longer. The maximum Screen Timeout time is 10 minutes, but you can also look at turning on the Smart Stay option to let the screen stay on for as long as you're looking at it.

Please be advised that you are NOT able to set your screen timeout to none, and that you CANNOT adjust the lockscreen timeout."

@boblinkent with my galaxy fold 3 everything seemed to be working properly so far and I just updated it to version 2022.16.2 and still no issues yet. The screen time out you can adjust from 15 sec - 10 min. You might want to try clear cache and reboot. If still doesn't work clear/cache, clear data on your app, reboot and reinstall app.

Thank you for your help Papa.
I must have had a senior moment and typed Fold 3.
I have a FLIP 3 NOT a FOLD 3 but I don't think that it matters.
I checked and I am up to date on Android software and I cleared cache and rebooted my phone and I have my screen set for 10 minutes, before it turns off, but screen time is not my issue.
My issue is that the Tesla app disconnects after a few minutes so if I go to my Model Y and neglect to open the Tesla app to check if the Tesla app is connected, I may not be able to open the door to the car because there is NO WiFi in my designated parking spot in the garage.
My question is how do I keep the Tesla phone app from disconnecting and when I ask Samsung they say, ask Tesla and when I ask Tesla (off topic for a moment, getting to talk to someone at Tesla is VERY difficult), they tell me to check with Samsung.
Sorry for ranting Papa, as you can imagine it's VERY frustrating.
Thank you for your help Papa
Bob

Thank you for your help Papa.
I must have had a senior moment and typed Fold 3.
I have a FLIP 3 NOT a FOLD 3 but I don't think that it matters.
I checked and I am up to date on Android software and I cleared cache and rebooted my phone and I have my screen set for 10 minutes, before it turns off, but screen time is not my issue.
My issue is that the Tesla app disconnects after a few minutes so if I go to my Model Y and neglect to open the Tesla app to check if the Tesla app is connected, I may not be able to open the door to the car because there is NO WiFi in my designated parking spot in the garage.
My question is how do I keep the Tesla phone app from disconnecting and when I ask Samsung they say, ask Tesla and when I ask Tesla (off topic for a moment, getting to talk to someone at Tesla is VERY difficult), they tell me to check with Samsung.
Sorry for ranting Papa, as you can imagine it's VERY frustrating.
Thank you for your help Papa
Bob
Check the app's setting make sure, "Nearby devices" is allowed in the bkgn.

Hi Papa, you advised me to "Check the app's setting make sure, "Nearby devices" is allowed in the bkgn" which is easier said than done.
I opened Settings and couldn't find Nearby Devices so I chatted with Samsung support and they weren't much help so my question to you is, can you please provide me with Step-by-step instructions how to locate (and change) Nearby Devices?
Thank you Papa
Bob

Do you have your phone in your front or back pocket when you approach the car? Front pocket will give the car a much better chance at recognizing your phone. Bluetooth has a difficult time going through water (i.e. your body) and will have a harder time establishing connection if your body is in between your phone and car.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 and here have been a few times that the car wouldn't unlock when I tried the door handles. It seemed like the car was just very sound asleep and it took a minute or so to wake up and start responding like it should.