Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #34 is available now with topics timestamped. We covered Tesla's rollercoaster prices, Toyota pushing junk science, Mike's new Model 3, Optimizing track mode for snow driving, FSD V11 apparently coming by the end of this week, and more. You can watch and check out the chat replay on YouTube.

Phone Apps? New to Tesla with Refresh Model S

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
So I'm new to Tesla and EV's in general with my recent purchase of an LR Model S. What phone apps (besides the Tesla app) are "must have" and why? Thanks for your time and help!
The only phone app that I've ever used for the past 9 years since 2012 for 3 different Tesla cars is "Tesla" for android.

If you have an Apple watch, then I imagine it would be nice to get an app for that watch but I haven't used a watch ever since I discovered that I can use my cell phone as a watch and a calculator as well.

Reactions: BobbyRitz

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
So I'm new to Tesla and EV's in general with my recent purchase of an LR Model S. What phone apps (besides the Tesla app) are "must have" and why? Thanks for your time and help!
The two biggies for me are
Plugshare for finding the closest charger while I'm out and about. It lets you see what experience others have had at different locations. Also really good for see what is around the superchargers.
and
ABetterRoutePlanner for one of the best route planners. This does waypoints, setting arrival charge levels and all sorts of stuff. Well worth it.
Both have web site versions as well

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
You do not need any, but I strongly recommend PlugShare if you need to search for charging.

If you like more info on the car at the expense of polling the car there are a few out there that are cool.

if you do a lot of trips, there is a better route planner (and a few others) that can be helpful.

BobbyRitz

Endless Delivery Disorder
Jul 28, 2021
Maryland
The only phone app that I've ever used for the past 9 years since 2012 for 3 different Tesla cars is "Tesla" for android.

If you have an Apple watch, then I imagine it would be nice to get an app for that watch but I haven't used a watch ever since I discovered that I can use my cell phone as a watch and a calculator as well.
I ask because I keep seeing the Optiwatt app ads. I see them so frequently that I thought it couldn't be completely useful. Figured it was someone trying to make a few bucks. 😊

BobbyRitz

Jul 28, 2021
Maryland
@Twiglett @brkaus I just downloaded Plugshare. Thanks! I live in the middle of nowhere and there's a charger 2 miles from my house. I never knew and I've been to that building countless times! It might come in handy as my S was supposed to be delivered in December, but arrived last week. My electrician isn't installing the wall connector until 9/16. 🙄😂

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
@Twiglett @brkaus I just downloaded Plugshare. Thanks! I live in the middle of nowhere and there's a charger 2 miles from my house. I never knew and I've been to that building countless times! It might come in handy as my S was supposed to be delivered in December, but arrived last week. My electrician isn't installing the wall connector until 9/16. 🙄😂
you should be OK just with 110v charging - I think I survived almost two months using that :D
That kinda depends on how many miles you do each day. May need to top up every so often.

BobbyRitz

Jul 28, 2021
Maryland
you should be OK just with 110v charging - I think I survived almost two months using that :D
That kinda depends on how many miles you do each day. May need to top up every so often.
You're right. I have a 20 minute commute through the MD countryside. If I need to use 110v for a week or two, I should be fine. 👍

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC