Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't having issues specifically with the phone as key, there just some latency (and the app had to specifically pointing to the Model 3 vs Model X or my power wall). With the recent app release, it seems to much more consistent and less latency. Will keep monitoring.

It's interesting. I never seem to have a problem with the walk up unlock. It unlocks smoothly every time just as I'm approaching the car. However, every once in a while (1 times out of 10?) the car will refuse to go into gear when I get in and display "Tap key card on center console to start." I take my phone out of my pocket and it goes away.

She never changed her app to the other Tesla. But I did, on my iPhone. I think some testing is in order.

I think this is my problem, too. Two phones, two cars. If I check the 3 for charge from my phone, Milli's phone no longer unlocks. If I switch back to the S on my phone, her car unlocks when she walks up.

Tesla needs to figure how to get two phones to blue tooth to each car at once. I tried to show off Milli's 3 for 10 minutes the other day, never could get in, 6 people mumble "Well, gotta go, maybe some other time...." Her phone was still connected, and even though she was 200 feet away, I could NOT get my phone to work. When program was over, we come out, her phone opens the car. I was thinking for a while we'd need to call Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
Emporia smart (Android flip phone) or a Samsung in easy mode.
Please, @T34ME: what workaround might you imagine?

Friday, I'm going to try to persuade my 83-year old father to drive a Model 3 as his daily driver. He has a flip phone; not interested in a smart phone. Looks to me as if he is going to have to use the keycard. Worse, from what I've read so far, it looks as if he'll have to take the keycard out of his wallet to press it against the B pillar, unlike other keycards in other settings that can be used from within wallets.

So... I'd love to know if there's some better -- easier! -- way for a non-smart phone-wielding Model 3 driver to interact with the car.

Thanks,
Alan

I've had zero issues with this other than not liking walk up to unlock. I turned that off and now soon as i pull on the door the car unlocks as long as I have my phone. Likewise, the car locks as soon as i walk away.
One change they need to make is to enable the charging plug to be removed even with Walk Up Unlock disabled. Otherwise it’s annoying to have to open the car door to unlock prior to unplugging.

Knock on wood. But my wife and I share an X and 3 now. Both logged in on my Tesla account on iPhone Xs. So far we haven’t had any issues with the phone as key.

I just turned off Walk up Unlock now because it kept unlocking/locking excessively due to proximity of our garage to kitchen, but it was working fine prior to changing that. Maybe ‘too well’.

I think this is my problem, too. Two phones, two cars. If I check the 3 for charge from my phone, Milli's phone no longer unlocks. If I switch back to the S on my phone, her car unlocks when she walks up.

Tesla needs to figure how to get two phones to blue tooth to each car at once. I tried to show off Milli's 3 for 10 minutes the other day, never could get in, 6 people mumble "Well, gotta go, maybe some other time...." Her phone was still connected, and even though she was 200 feet away, I could NOT get my phone to work. When program was over, we come out, her phone opens the car. I was thinking for a while we'd need to call Tesla.

This kind of behavior is just one of my gripes with Bluetooth (at least "regular" Bluetooth implementations, such as car audio and phone connectivity). Not saying it applies to the BLE implementation used for the door locking, or even Bluetooth in general, but this seems to be a very common problem area. The Nissan LEAF has the behavior that it always tries to connect to the last phone it connected to, even if an alternate phone is the only one present. The Chevy Volt has the behavior that it will always connect to the phone listed higher up in the search order, even if the one it last used is also visible. While I suppose this is an improvement over the LEAF, it can be quite annoying on trips where we've decided to use my phone for music and every time we start the car back up we have to switch audio settings.

The one good Bluetooth implementation I've seen was on a Panasonic cordless phone we got. You could connect 2 phones to it simultaneously, and when either phone got a call, the phone would ring. And when you wanted to call out and 2 phones were connected, it would just ask which phone you wanted to use. If there was only one phone connected, it would just call out.

Emporia smart (Android flip phone) or a Samsung in easy mode.

Thanks, @bhzmark!

BTW, my parents (83-year old Dad, 79-year old Mom) have been using their Model 3 for over two weeks now. They've decided they don't need the rest of the "1 month trial period" I guaranteed them: they love the car. Even if it still scares them, two weeks later. :) Of course, the competition is their 14-year old VW wagon... good to know that, in a head-to-head competition, Model 3 can defeat a 14-year old VW wagon with 65K miles on it and a check engine light that has remained adamantly lit across two years and $10,000 of repairs. :)

They have been using the keycard successfully for this entire time. My Dad did comment yesterday that he frequently has to tap the keycard inside the car to get it to start, as it can take him longer to get into the car and ready to go than the timeout from the first keycard tap against the B pillar. Oh, and he has been using it successfully in his wallet without taking the card out first.

Once Tesla gets the car moved from my myTesla account to my parents' account, we'll start with the phone-as-key using my Mom's iPhone. My Dad is showing no sign of caving over the issue of his flip phone... he convinced my 13-year old son to hook it up to the car's bluetooth for phone service and now he's making calls through the car.

Basically, he and my Mom are as yet blissfully unaware of the torment plaguing some of the other phone-as-key users on this thread.

Alan

Thanks, @bhzmark!

BTW, my parents (83-year old Dad, 79-year old Mom) have been using their Model 3 for over two weeks now. They've decided they don't need the rest of the "1 month trial period" I guaranteed them: they love the car. Even if it still scares them, two weeks later. :) Of course, the competition is their 14-year old VW wagon... good to know that, in a head-to-head competition, Model 3 can defeat a 14-year old VW wagon with 65K miles on it and a check engine light that has remained adamantly lit across two years and $10,000 of repairs. :)

They have been using the keycard successfully for this entire time. My Dad did comment yesterday that he frequently has to tap the keycard inside the car to get it to start, as it can take him longer to get into the car and ready to go than the timeout from the first keycard tap against the B pillar.

Alan

You should monitor the odometer of both vehicles, the VW may be secretly winning ;)

Thanks, @bhzmark!

They have been using the keycard successfully for this entire time. My Dad did comment yesterday that he frequently has to tap the keycard inside the car to get it to start, as it can take him longer to get into the car and ready to go than the timeout from the first keycard tap against the B pillar.

I wish Tesla would change the timeout ( from unlock to cardless start ) to be like 20 or 30 seconds rather than 15. It just seems a tad too short with the current timer.
People with slower reflexes might appreciate more time.

Reactions: Pollux and bhzmark
I wish Tesla would change the timeout ( from unlock to cardless start ) to be like 20 or 30 seconds rather than 15. It just seems a tad too short with the current timer.
People with slower reflexes might appreciate more time.

Especially since I’m not sure what case having it be 15 seconds guards against where 30 seconds or even a minute wouldn’t be just fine.

IS there not a button on the charge plug that would unlock if you have the key on you?
There’s a button, but it doesn’t unlock from the port. It’s a feature to prevent someone from unplugging you when you aren’t at the car.

But with walk up unlock off, the car still senses the BT, but doesn’t unlock to doors. The charge port should still unlock, once it senses the phone, instead of only waiting til the door are unlocked by being opened.

At least that’s my read of it.

Reactions: bhzmark
so i think i have solved my phone as key issues. after every successful unlock or drive i toggle bluetooth on my phone. the next time i try to walk-up and unlock or drive there are no issues.

still evaluating if having the phone unlocked and the tesla app running helps with detection time.

android note 5.
Yes having same issue if left overnight doesn’t work even if Bluetooth on phone indicates connected. Turn off blue tooth then on and it works all day until not used for many hrs. Did you ever get to bottom of issue?

It has been reported that the BluetoothLE connects even when the app is not running or even in the background on the iPhone unlocking the car. With my iPhone 6s the Bluetooth connection to the car seen in the settings(all 4 of them just like in videos) disappear as soon as the app is closed. Therefore the car will not unlock unless the app is at least running in the background of my phone. What am I doing wrong to cause this? How can I force the BTLE to connect when the app is not running?

Do you have ‘Always’ selected for Location Services on your iPhone for the Tesla app? Not just ‘While using the app’?
0D61D2E4-D14F-4493-B52B-B9561FE7E4F9.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will