Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up our Model 3 last Wednesday (2/14 - Happy Valentine's day for my wife! And, yes, it's multicoat red!). DS connected both of our iPhone 6s to the key without problem. Worked great for 6 days. This past Monday my iPhone read "Phone Key - Disconnected". Wife's was still connected. Couldn't pull up the "pair/match" screen on my phone. Deleted and put Tesla app back on phone, but still wouldn't "pair/connect" to Phone Key. So here's what worked, at least for me: (1) Delete and reinstall Tesla app; (2) Rebooted car; (3) Rebooted phone; (4) Brought the "Pair/Connect" screen up and paired without any problems and I'm back to using my iPhone. And, yes, even without the "Phone key" pairing I was able to do all other functions on the app - blow the horn, flash the lights, open the trunk and the frunk. Just had to use the card to "start" the car. Hope this helps others - and also hope it works the same as it did for me. Easy fix.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
It would be helpful to post which firmware version you are on when you report issues (or fixes).

I’m on 2018.4.6 and our phones have been near flawless. The only time I had an issue was when I left our X as the active car in the app on my phone. So, in that case, it’s expected behavior.

Picked up our Model 3 last Wednesday (2/14 - Happy Valentine's day for my wife! And, yes, it's multicoat red!). DS connected both of our iPhone 6s to the key without problem. Worked great for 6 days. This past Monday my iPhone read "Phone Key - Disconnected". Wife's was still connected. Couldn't pull up the "pair/match" screen on my phone. Deleted and put Tesla app back on phone, but still wouldn't "pair/connect" to Phone Key. So here's what worked, at least for me: (1) Delete and reinstall Tesla app; (2) Rebooted car; (3) Rebooted phone; (4) Brought the "Pair/Connect" screen up and paired without any problems and I'm back to using my iPhone. And, yes, even without the "Phone key" pairing I was able to do all other functions on the app - blow the horn, flash the lights, open the trunk and the frunk. Just had to use the card to "start" the car. Hope this helps others - and also hope it works the same as it did for me. Easy fix.

Problem here is that the issue is fixable as described, however, this is a temporary fix likely to return. Another temporary fix is switching to airplane mode and back out of it. Its also a faster than rebooting everything and Tesla says not to uninstall/reinstall the app in attempt to remedy this issue because it can cause some other issues. Not sure what they are, but I was told do not do it.

Additionally, for those of us waiting on the update to solve this issue: I went to a SC today to have it pushed to my Model 3 where I was informed that my car and many others are restricted from receiving the newest update. Apparently it fixed our phone as key problem but caused "several" new software problems. Tesla is working on a solution, we will receive the update once validated. Patience.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Additionally, for those of us waiting on the update to solve this issue: I went to a SC today to have it pushed to my Model 3 where I was informed that my car and many others are restricted from receiving the newest update. Apparently it fixed our phone as key problem but caused "several" new software problems. Tesla is working on a solution, we will receive the update once validated. Patience.
I figure there is a reason why some are still not getting 2017.x.x firmware. Must be HW differences that are limiting what revisions some cars can take.

We took delivery of a new Model 3 yesterday. We had no problem connecting both of our iPhones up as "keys" to accommodate keyless entry and start.

Overall, the functionality seemed great, until we realized the app always needs to be running and then this morning my wife's phone/app showed "disconnected" under the "Phone as a key" setting in the app and it stopped working as a key. This wouldn't be a huge deal, except the "card keys" really suck. The card keys are like going back in time to a physical car key, except these card keys are hard to hold, easy to lose, and try opening the door with one in your hand and a bag of groceries in another with the funky handles. I'd pay another $1000 for a regular old keyfob with basic remote.

On the "phone as a key" disconnect issue. We tried everything to resolve with Tesla. Checked versions of iOS. Rebooted the console. deleted the app and re-added the app. Unpaired the phone from the car (forget/forget). We were able to get it back to a point to set it up again, but when we tried to setup again, it fails every time with "unable to connect to your vehicle", which is ironic, because the same exact app at the same time on the same phone can honk the horn, blink the lights, and do everything else "connecting to the car", except set-up "phone as key". An hour later with Tesla and all we got was a logged issue.

Any other new owners have issues with "Phone as Key" disconnecting and/or unable to set up?

On firmware 81. - 48.15

I'm also have issues with the phone as a key. And additionally, about 75% of the time when I try to use the app to unlock the car instead I get an error. I have also done everything with Tesla
Picked up our Model 3 yesterday, had the same issue today (several times).

The problem seems to be with the app and multiple cars (in our case one Model S & one Model 3).

When switching cars in the app - to a car other than the Model 3 - it disconnect the phone as key mode. Even after switching back to the Model 3 there is a big delay.

We need someone with only a Model 3 to confirm or deny they have the same problem.

Model 3 only owner here. Same issue. The phone as key works very sporadically. And the app to automatically unlock the car works even less often. And having to pull out the key card and get it so close to your car to unlock it and drive it is incredibly annoying. Why can't the key just be like any other key fob and unlock when I walk up? Why must I find it and touch the car? I have talked to tech support 4 time and tried all of their options, which work for about 24 hours and then it's back to broken. Very frustrating.

In addition to the phone key not working. My app won't unlock the doors about 75% of the time. I get this error message instead. It has been very frustrating and nothing tech support has recommended has solved the problem. The app is only used for a model 3, so it is not related to getting confused between a 3 and an S.

Attachments

• tesla command failed.png
    tesla command failed.png
    684.8 KB · Views: 86
Press the Tesla logo button on your screen to find the firmware version.

As noted in earlier posts, some cars have 2018.4.6. Some are still on variants of 2017.50 firmware.

It seems that most people who have 2018.4.6 aren’t having as many issues as those still on older ones. It would be nice to try to correlate firmware versions to the problems.

Wow my phone as key issues are getting much, much worse recently :(

I'm on the latest firmware (2018.4.8) with a Pixel XL and out of the last 10 times i've walked up to my car, the walk-up unlock has worked exactly ZERO times. Getting really sick of standing in the cold while i wait the ~15-30 seconds for my Tesla app to reconnect to the car and then let me hit unlock. Might sound silly but it gets frustrating.

I've noticed that resetting the bluetooth on my phone (disable/reenable) seems to help the situation, but that's not fun to do every day either.

Would be willing to pay for a darn fob at this point..

Reactions: Pkmmte and RTPEV
Wow my phone as key issues are getting much, much worse recently :(

I'm on the latest firmware (2018.4.8) with a Pixel XL and out of the last 10 times i've walked up to my car, the walk-up unlock has worked exactly ZERO times. Getting really sick of standing in the cold while i wait the ~15-30 seconds for my Tesla app to reconnect to the car and then let me hit unlock. Might sound silly but it gets frustrating.

I've noticed that resetting the bluetooth on my phone (disable/reenable) seems to help the situation, but that's not fun to do every day either.

Would be willing to pay for a darn fob at this point..

I would pay for a fob in a heartbeat, I wish they were available. the credit card key is a PITA.

After an initial issue with having two Teslas on the same iPhone app (easily resolved) I have found the iPhone as a Key to be flawless. Since my iPhone is in a case that doubles as my wallet, it is nice to only have one thing to keep track of. And the range of the iPhone as key is great, causing "Bluebird" to wake up when I'm walking near the garage on our entry path.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
And the range of the iPhone as key is great, causing "Bluebird" to wake up when I'm walking near the garage on our entry path.
That's exactly why the phone key is terrible, the iPhone BT range is too good. I don't want my car waking up, let alone unlocking, when I'm walking *near* my garage... only when I'm walking up to it *in* my garage.

Reactions: navguy12 and RTPEV