Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... this requires you ... leave it in the center console to operate the car.
the only time it would need to be near the center console is if you did not start the car in time after entering it. You have 15 seconds after you unlock the doors with the keycard to get in and start the car. After that you need to touch the card to the center console behind the cup holders, you then have another 15 seconds to start it. After it is started there is no requirement to leave it there.

With all the being said, the phone as key or a traditional fob would be easier than dealing with the keycard.

I agree they should have a fob as an option, but so far for me the phone thing is OK. It has worked just fine for me so far, so basic functionality is the same as the S (I just walk up and get in or just walk away and it locks). The backup keycard is super thin, and I can put it in a totally out of the way area of my wallet (behind my driver's license) because it can work without taking it out of the wallet (not that I've ever needed to use it). The S fob wasn't tiny, so it's nice having one less thing in my pocket.

That said, the one downside that affects me is that I use the frunk reasonable often for groceries, and I used to be able to reach into my pocket and open the frunk by feel. Now I have to get out and fiddle with my phone (the trunk is fine, because it has the physical button on the car, I rarely opened the one on my S using the remote anyway). I can definitely see people who don't always carry their cell phone wanting a dedicated option. It doesn't seem too difficult to provide one, so hopefully it's just a matter of time.

I sometimes carry one of these to access HOA facilities, such as the gym, swimming pool, etc. This solution is better for me personally than carrying a smartphone or key card in my wallet. But this requires you remove it from your pocket to touch the B pillar and leave it in the center console to operate the car. I like Toyota's SKS (Smart Key System) whereby the fob never leaves your pocket, you simply touch the exterior handle and the car locks when you walk away and you touch the handle and the car unlocks when you walk up. The SKS was a change that was easy for me to accept. The system pictured above would be a change backwards for me.
If you turn off walk up unlock, that's the same behavior as you described with the exception that your keyfob is your phone. Well technically need to pull on the handle.

If you turn off walk up unlock, that's the same behavior as you described with the exception that your keyfob is your phone. Well technically need to pull on the handle.
And therein lies the problem! A smartphone is at least 4x larger than a key fob! just to access the car. How is that progress? I don't carry a smartphone and I don't want to. A bluetooth key fob would be fine with me.

I wonder if this phone would work:

phone.jpg

This tiny 4G smartphone runs Android 7.0 Nougat and costs just $59

At $59, it's cheaper than any key fob they would end up letting you buy.

The little blue key fob actually sounds like a good idea for folks who go kayaking or such and want a somewhat robust waterproof "key" thing that can be secured in the boat.. I might be the only one but I'd buy 2 because for each driver in our house..

No one else has to use it ;) but I still like the idea..

so i think i have solved my phone as key issues. after every successful unlock or drive i toggle bluetooth on my phone. the next time i try to walk-up and unlock or drive there are no issues.

still evaluating if having the phone unlocked and the tesla app running helps with detection time.

android note 5.

so i think i have solved my phone as key issues. after every successful unlock or drive i toggle bluetooth on my phone. the next time i try to walk-up and unlock or drive there are no issues.

still evaluating if having the phone unlocked and the tesla app running helps with detection time.

android note 5.

I sincerely hope your problem is solved, but color me skeptical. I've 'solved' my issues 3 to 4 times only to have them return 2 days later. Happened again today, and once again on a rainy cold day. Beginning to think cold weather and rain is the culprit.

I wonder if this phone would work:
At $59, it's cheaper than any key fob they would end up letting you buy.
Thanks @gregincal that is helpful. But your article says the phone is now $79 and it is twice as large as my current key fob. I would rather spend $150 on a bluetooth key fob that is half the size, but I will consider this smartphone in the interim solution as a glorified key fob. BTW, I don't wear jeans with a watch pocket. That is so hipster and inappropriate for my age group. ;)

I don't get it. How will a smaller phone solve this problem?

It's not going to connect any better than a full size phone. Or am I missing something?
We are talking about the convenience of a smaller phone relative to a key fob, an ergonomics problem. This has nothing to do with the current technical connection problems, which I presume will be solved soon by Tesla. Two different subjects not to be confused with each other - ergonomics vs. technical.

We are talking about the convenience of a smaller phone relative to a key fob, an ergonomics problem. This has nothing to do with the current technical connection problems, which I presume will be solved soon by Tesla. Two different subjects not to be confused with each other - ergonomics vs. technical.
Okay cool. Reading the thread it seemed to go from turning a key card into a fob (probably reliable) to using a smaller phone as a fob (probably unreliable).

Just want to keep things clear. A small phone will not work as a fob any better than a large phone.

Reactions: JenniferQ
I like Toyota's SKS (Smart Key System) whereby the fob never leaves your pocket, you simply touch the exterior handle and the car locks when you walk away and you touch the handle and the car unlocks when you walk up. The SKS was a change that was easy for me to accept.
I just want to chime in here and say that I too really like Toyota's system. It's in my RAV4 EV and it's really great to never have to remove the fob from your pocket: to just pull on the door handle to simultaneously unlock and open the door, to touch the door handle to lock and confirm before you walk away that it has indeed locked and to never have it second-guessing you and unlocking when you walk by or stand nearby. It detects you as you approach and turns on the interior lights but it does not unlock until you try to open the door. There's a start button to actually start up the vehicle that detects the presence of the key fob in the car. The whole system has been a fantastic change/improvement over the old style keys and key fobs that you used to have to take out of your pocket all the time. It's super annoying to have to use another vehicle that doesn't work like this.

Been bummed to hear about how Tesla's been doing it over the years and the issues that have cropped up with S, X and now 3 – unintended unlocks, failures to auto-lock, smartphone app disconnect, etc.

We're having problems with "walk-away lock" with iPhone. Car stays on and unlocked forever... Anyone else?
Yes. Since you say "We're" I'll assume there are 2 (or more) people using the same app for the same car ... You are likely experiencing the same problems as orhers. Are both (or more) using the same* model phones?

*I.e. two iPhone5 or two Android 7

I just want to chime in here and say that I too really like Toyota's system. It's in my RAV4 EV and it's really great to never have to remove the fob from your pocket: to just pull on the door handle to simultaneously unlock and open the door, to touch the door handle to lock and confirm before you walk away that it has indeed locked and to never have it second-guessing you and unlocking when you walk by or stand nearby. It detects you as you approach and turns on the interior lights but it does not unlock until you try to open the door. There's a start button to actually start up the vehicle that detects the presence of the key fob in the car. The whole system has been a fantastic change/improvement over the old style keys and key fobs that you used to have to take out of your pocket all the time. It's super annoying to have to use another vehicle that doesn't work like this.

Been bummed to hear about how Tesla's been doing it over the years and the issues that have cropped up with S, X and now 3 – unintended unlocks, failures to auto-lock, smartphone app disconnect, etc.

Yes. Since you say "We're" I'll assume there are 2 (or more) people using the same app for the same car ... You are likely experiencing the same problems as orhers. Are both (or more) using the same* model phones?

*I.e. two iPhone5 or two Android 7
My AP1 S works fine with fob in my purse or pocket. No problems and I never have to take it out unless I need the frunk open ;/ But the 3 has been troublesome. Auto-lock on walk-away does not work. And that's with only one phone enabled.

• Informative
Reactions: T34ME