Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should have elaborated. I use a wallet case for my iPhone, that allows me to carry credit cards, cash, and the iPhone together. No fob required. Has worked flawlessly so far. My only wish is that I could eliminate the fob for my X.

So if said wallet case gets lost/stolen, you are even more completely screwed then? ;)

I get that it's probably a personal preference, and possibly split along age boundaries...and maybe if the phone technology worked as flawlessly as a fob, then it wouldn't be as big a deal to teach old dogs new tricks. But the fact that it is so unreliable changes the argument.

As an aside...I was at a concession stand the other night. I noticed a wallet sitting on the counter as I was waiting to pick up my food behind a young man also waiting. I was pretty certain that it was the guy's in front of me and that he had set it down to situate whatever he needed to (although personally I didn't understand why he couldn't have just stuck it in his pocket. As soon as he got his food and started to walk away I stopped him and asked him if it was his wallet, and sure enough it was. The older guy behind me pointed out that if that had been his phone, it would not have been left just sitting on the counter!

Seems like 2018.10.1 removed walk up unlock feature in hopes to minimize the car constantly locking and unlocking.
i came to post that i turned off my walk up unlock feature for the following reason:

after almost a week of perfect phone as key, it stopped working again... the whole day. the bluetooth reset did not work, nothing.

but it did magically work the next day. (i think because I restarted my phone). but after searching the internet for other model 3 owner resources, i happened upon a thread at M3OC on this topic. Bluetooth issues? and post #39 is a guy who does a lot of app programming involving bluetooth. Anyways, bottom line, after all of his technical explanation, he suggested turning off walk up unlock would make the bluetooth more consistent.. So that's what I did.

So far, so good. And really, there is no advantage to walk up unlock. On the S, it presents the handles, so that is a time saver (<5 sec but still). On the 3, you have to push the handle no matter what. So once the car detects your phone, instead of waiting for the BT to unlock, which can take 15 sec... you just push the handle, and that triggers the unlock almost immediately.

Actually, once the car detects my phone, I hear 2 clunks. Usually happens less than 5 sec. If my phone is awake, it happens before i get to the car.

So, we will see if this is THE solution.

i came to post that i turned off my walk up unlock feature for the following reason:

after almost a week of perfect phone as key, it stopped working again... the whole day. the bluetooth reset did not work, nothing.

but it did magically work the next day. (i think because I restarted my phone). but after searching the internet for other model 3 owner resources, i happened upon a thread at M3OC on this topic. Bluetooth issues? and post #39 is a guy who does a lot of app programming involving bluetooth. Anyways, bottom line, after all of his technical explanation, he suggested turning off walk up unlock would make the bluetooth more consistent.. So that's what I did.

So far, so good. And really, there is no advantage to walk up unlock. On the S, it presents the handles, so that is a time saver (<5 sec but still). On the 3, you have to push the handle no matter what. So once the car detects your phone, instead of waiting for the BT to unlock, which can take 15 sec... you just push the handle, and that triggers the unlock almost immediately.

Actually, once the car detects my phone, I hear 2 clunks. Usually happens less than 5 sec. If my phone is awake, it happens before i get to the car.

So, we will see if this is THE solution.
Just a note, on FB I was told that the walkup unlock is available, just that it is no longer the default.

Hey, this is fantastic!!! I just tried it. Walk-Away-Lock and Walk-Up-Unlock are selected separately. I unselected Walk-Up-Unlock and left Walk-Away-Lock selected. Now when I walk up to the car, nothing happens until I operate the handle. There is a momentary pause, and the car unlocks and turns on. When I walk away it locks.

Perfect!

Thanks @Bruinfan for posting that! (My father was a fan of the Bruins. His alma mater.)

Should have elaborated. I use a wallet case for my iPhone, that allows me to carry credit cards, cash, and the iPhone together. No fob required. Has worked flawlessly so far. My only wish is that I could eliminate the fob for my X.
Agreed! In fact, I keep hoping that somehow an update for the X will enable this.

And after reading the rest of the later posts, I had turned off Walk Up Unlock within a week. So, perhaps its another reason I haven’t had any issues.

Reactions: Futuresystem
So if said wallet case gets lost/stolen, you are even more completely screwed then? ;)

I get that it's probably a personal preference, and possibly split along age boundaries...and maybe if the phone technology worked as flawlessly as a fob, then it wouldn't be as big a deal to teach old dogs new tricks. But the fact that it is so unreliable changes the argument.
Amen. You can't tell me something is an "improvement" if it's less reliable than whatever it is replacing.

Reactions: RTPEV and daniel
WiFi is an improvement on wired Ethernet and yet less reliable

Apples to oranges. WiFi solves a different problem than Ethernet. "Phone as a key" solves the same exact problem as a key fob, just using different technology. And it does it worse in almost all ways. The only way I can think of it being better is that you don't have to carry around an extra device. (Well actually you do, you still have to carry around the valet card or you could easily get locked out of your car.)

Last edited:
WiFi is an improvement on wired Ethernet and yet less reliable

Not noticably less reliable. And if so, only slightly, in exchange for a vast improvement in flexibility. The phone key offers very little benefit in exchange for a vast decrease in reliability.

Wi-Fi is pretty reliable, once you get it set up. It can sometimes be hard to get set up. But once it's working it's more convenient.

The phone is less convenient than a key fob. And it introduces uncertainty: When I park at the grocery store and walk away from my car, did it really lock? Did someone maybe open the door as I was walking away but before it locked? I need to keep an eye on my car for about a minute or two, until I see the mirrors fold. (And the only reason to have them fold at all is so I'll know the car locked.

On the Prius I just press the button and it's locked. On a car with a regular fob, just press the lock button. The phone-as-key is a solution to a problem that did not exist.

In addition, what do you do if the 12v battery dies? On the Prius there's a physical key so at least you can always get into the car to fetch your belongings. I know that on the 3 there's a way you can get at some terminals so you can jump them with the car battery you always carry around with you just in case... (Oh, wait a minute... you don't always carry a 12v automobile battery with you?) but sheesh!!! At least give us a way for a non-mechanic to get into the car!

ETA: And don't bother carrying jumper cables so you can jump from a good Samaritan's car, because you won't be able to get them out of your car. It is unconscionable that there's no way to get into the car without an external 12v battery when your own 12v battery goes dead!!!

Last edited:
Wi-Fi is pretty reliable, once you get it set up. It can sometimes be hard to get set up. But once it's working it's more convenient.

The phone is less convenient than a key fob. And it introduces uncertainty: When I park at the grocery store and walk away from my car, did it really lock? Did someone maybe open the door as I was walking away but before it locked? I need to keep an eye on my car for about a minute or two, until I see the mirrors fold. (And the only reason to have them fold at all is so I'll know the car locked.

On the Prius I just press the button and it's locked. On a car with a regular fob, just press the lock button. The phone-as-key is a solution to a problem that did not exist.

In addition, what do you do if the 12v battery dies? On the Prius there's a physical key so at least you can always get into the car to fetch your belongings. I know that on the 3 there's a way you can get at some terminals so you can jump them with the car battery you always carry around with you just in case... (Oh, wait a minute... you don't always carry a 12v automobile battery with you?) but sheesh!!! At least give us a way for a non-mechanic to get into the car!

ETA: And don't bother carrying jumper cables so you can jump from a good Samaritan's car, because you won't be able to get them out of your car. It is unconscionable that there's no way to get into the car without an external 12v battery when your own 12v battery goes dead!!!

That last part has nothing to do with phone as key though. The same thing is true of the S and X with a key fob.

Apples to oranges. WiFi solves a different problem than Ethernet. "Phone as a key" solves the same exact problem as a key fob, just using different technology. And it does it worse in almost all ways. The only way I can think of it being better is that you don't have to carry around an extra device. (Well actually you do, you still have to carry around the valet card or you could easily get locked out of your car.)
Wi-Fi solves the same problem as ethernet cable, namely transferring a network connection, it relieves you of the physical need for wires. But there is a trade-off . Slower and less reliable. Most people find that trade off well worth it.

Phone as key solves the same problem as a key fob, namely transferring a proximity signal to your car and allowing you to control your car with manual input. it relieves you of the physical need for carrying a key fob. But there is a trade-off. It is slower and less reliable. Most people find the trade-off is probably not worth it .

• Disagree
Reactions: daniel and MP3Mike
Wi-Fi solves the same problem as ethernet cable, namely transferring a network connection, it relieves you of the physical need for wires. But there is a trade-off . Slower and less reliable. Most people find that trade off well worth it.

No, Ethernet solves the problem of a fixed reliable network connection while WiFi solves the problem of needing a mobile/wireless network connection.