Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, Ethernet solves the problem of a fixed reliable network connection while WiFi solves the problem of needing a mobile/wireless network connection.
They are often substitutes for each other to provide the same needed functionality. I can run a cable to my laptop or smart TV, or I can use wifi. This is a boring discussion.

Last edited:
Any techies out there that know if this will work as a fob? flic bluetooth button

Interesting. Very slick ad, nicely done. The impression I get is that each Flic (at $34) will perform one specified action. So if you want to be able to lock your car, unlock your car, start your car's heater, and open your garage door, you'd need four Flics. (Maybe double- or triple-tapping would perform other actions?

The reviews on Amazon (at the above link) are mixed. Apparently it works well some of the time, sort of works some of the time, and doesn't work some of the time.

Using your phone as a key fob, the phone is paired to the car. So for the Flic to work a a fob, the Tesla app would have to be willing to recognize and work with the Flic. My guess, the Flic will probably not work as a key fob for the Tesla, though Tesla could decide to allow it.

Interesting. Very slick ad, nicely done. The impression I get is that each Flic (at $34) will perform one specified action. So if you want to be able to lock your car, unlock your car, start your car's heater, and open your garage door, you'd need four Flics. (Maybe double- or triple-tapping would perform other actions?

The reviews on Amazon (at the above link) are mixed. Apparently it works well some of the time, sort of works some of the time, and doesn't work some of the time.

Using your phone as a key fob, the phone is paired to the car. So for the Flic to work a a fob, the Tesla app would have to be willing to recognize and work with the Flic. My guess, the Flic will probably not work as a key fob for the Tesla, though Tesla could decide to allow it.
Thought it might be tricky. Was hoping the button could just be programmed to connect directly with M3 or to clone the signals that the phone/app would put out. Remember when universal remotes worked this way? =)

Thought it might be tricky. Was hoping the button could just be programmed to connect directly with M3 or to clone the signals that the phone/app would put out. Remember when universal remotes worked this way? =)

Yeah, but your tv does not care who changes the channel. It does not need to authenticate the remote. It would certainly be possible for the button to tell the Tesla app to unlock the car, but the app would have to be willing to accept that input. Tesla could probably do it. But if you scroll down that Amazon page to "Customers also bought," you will see that Flic is not the only BT button on the market. How many different buttons would Tesla have to support?

I want a key fob AND a physical key that can open the car when there's no power. AND a lever inside the car that can open the hood when there's no power. That gets you right to the battery compartment for jumping. :mad:

Reactions: kelly and kavyboy
3 weeks with the 3, over 3000 miles, absolutely zero issues with the phone as a key....so far.
Waiting for the update though on the unlock behavior which will be nice.

If you are referring to behavior on Walk-Up-Unlock, that is selectable now from the menu. Walk-Away-Lock and Walk-Up-Unlock can be turned on or off independently of each other. I have Walk-Away-Lock turned on and and Walk-Up-Unlock turned off and now it behaves exactly the way I want it to. Walking up to the car does not unlock it until I operate the handle, and then it unlocks.

If you are referring to behavior on Walk-Up-Unlock, that is selectable now from the menu. Walk-Away-Lock and Walk-Up-Unlock can be turned on or off independently of each other. I have Walk-Away-Lock turned on and and Walk-Up-Unlock turned off and now it behaves exactly the way I want it to. Walking up to the car does not unlock it until I operate the handle, and then it unlocks.

But i thought it was only available in the menu after the update that came out? I dont think I have received that update as of yet. Hell, I dont think I have received an update since I took delivery.

I don't know. I got my current update a few days after I got the car, and didn't even know this was a thing before that. I'm on 2018.4.9. If you are still on 4.8 I'd phone them and ask why you don't have 4.9 yet. If you're on 4.9 you should have this.

Having nothing but trouble with the phone-as-key. It works sometimes, but mostly not. If I hang out at the door (looking foolish) for 15-20 seconds sometimes I will unlock, but usually I have to pull out the card. I tried turning off the walk up to unlock feature, and now it just doesn't do much at all.

My wife and I both have cheap Blue phones (Life OneX2). Love the phones, and I'm sure our problems at least partially stem from these phones. Earlier today, the Tesla app on my wife's phone went back to saying "click to use phone as key" or whatever it says....but it wasn't actually selectable. Had to remove the phone key from the car interface, and delete the app from the phone before I could set it up again.

We absolutely love the car, but hate the phone key issues we're having.

Reactions: navguy12
I don’t, but then I do 98%of my running in my neighborhood (no need to drive).

The other 2%, yes I would have my phone.

I always have my GPS/LTE/BTLE capable watch with me. This is why I’m hoping the phone as key capability is extended to other BTLE smart devices, like a watch.
So 98% of the time you wouldn't need to carry a fob and 2% of the time you would carry a fob instead of a smart phone. It seems like the fob would make more sense for you in terms of convenience.

I agree with you, I would like to see an app for a smartwatch. The smartwatch solution would solve both your problem and my problem. I think maybe I have found a solution. Stay tuned on TMC for my review in the next couple of days.

How else would you listen to music? (Only partly joking, my wife would never go on a run without her phone and bluetooth headset.) And that's not even counting tracking your run on Strava.
Good point! My daughter is a marathoner and she straps her phone to her upper arm and wears a headset. Her last competition (smartphone and all) was a half marathon in Cabo San Lucas last month.

So 98% of the time you wouldn't need to carry a fob and 2% of the time you would carry a fob instead of a smart phone. It seems like the fob would make more sense for you in terms of convenience.

I agree with you, I would like to see an app for a smartwatch. The smartwatch solution would solve both your problem and my problem. I think maybe I have found a solution. Stay tuned on TMC for my review in the next couple of days.
Umm, you’d be right, if I spent all my waking hours running. I don’t. Running is typically less than 10% of my time awake. So, with a fob, I’d be carrying an extra item with me pretty much the entire day. My wife and I swap cars on certain days depending on our routine (with the kids and work). I like the days I get the 3 because it I’d a more fun car, but also because I dont have to carry a fob.

I’m all for them making a fob available as an option. But for those saying that the phone-as-key work was a ‘solution looking for a problem’, I disagree wholeheartedly.

Reactions: bhzmark and landis